Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the status? Not really ready to pony up $650 for the nth degree belly and tranny skid.
No word from Kilby in his.
Haven't heard from Medic in a while.

Just wondering what is happening. I want to get that part of the Rubi finished.

Thanx,
Brian

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Send Medic a PM.... Very good product..

·
Registered
454 Posts
That Nth Degree kit looks fricken sweet though. They have some nice stuff all around. I will be getting a bellyup pan before the end of the summer. I'm a *****, I'll admit it, I'm going for whoever can provide me with the cheapest version.

G

·
0 Posts
Any of these require a CV shaft? I'm sure I'll be getting one eventually, but I'd rather do the skid first and change the shaft later.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The only time you need a cv shaft is going to be over 2" of lift. With my BB and 1BL and 1 MM lift I have no vibes. But I am going to go with a higher lift this summer so I am getting my cv shaft as well...

Just an update, I should know in the next couple of weeks whats up for the auto tc skid, I have a stock rubi, no bb, bl or mm lift at all, were going with a skid 3.5 low, we will see how that works, I know its only 1.25" more of clearance but it will be stronger and won't act as a shovel....Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
I don't have any vibe issues with my set up as it is. If it's good now, is there anything about the skid that would require I get a CV? I'd be more than happy with an extra 1.25" under there!! Getting rid of the shovel is going to be great!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Theep, with the skid your going to be right on the boarder of the vibes... You could have them or you might not. The only way to tell is to try a skid out and if you do then you'll need the cv shaft....Jerry

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Theep said:
I don't have any vibe issues with my set up as it is. If it's good now, is there anything about the skid that would require I get a CV? I'd be more than happy with an extra 1.25" under there!! Getting rid of the shovel is going to be great!
I would bet that you will have vibes. With Medic plate you will most likely do a BL and MML and then you will actually gain 2" of clearence which is like installing a 4"+ lift. I would strongly suggest a CV set up with the skid. If you have a Auto you may get away with minor vibes but like Medic said it will be a trial and error thing.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, thanks. Guess it's time to start saving for the CV because I want the skid, but no vibes. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Theep said:
Ok, thanks. Guess it's time to start saving for the CV because I want the skid, but no vibes. Thanks again for the input.

I think I am going to get into the CV buisness... Look for some info in the For sale area starting next week. I know that I can do Yoke conversions and CV Driveshafts for a very cheap price. Cheaper then Tomwoods or anyones else.

Approximate pricing will be $350US for the yoke(machined) and the CV built to you specs.

I will get more info on Monday as I am gone all weekend cutting trails for Jeep Jamboree.

Cheers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Figured I'd post up and let folks knwo whats up......

I had medics gen 1 skid, worked well ,but when he came out w/ new design I replaced it with the newer design. Only differences were countersunk tranny mount so studs didnt stick out, and ramps on f&R so it slide over stuff better. alll in all its a work of art.

Anyhow, my buddy Rubicon D ( dennis from GLJT) installed old one, and got it on his AUTOMATIC rubi. Said it went up fine. We checked out my stock skid, his, then the gen 1 medic skid, the mount was in the correct position, and w/ his 1" MML/BL...went up just fine from what I hear. Maybe Dennis will chime in and shed some light. just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
561 Posts
BTW w/ my t-case sitting 2.25" inches from where it started life, and my suspension 2" higher, my junk is now 4.25" away from where it shoudl be, vibes are very slight, and completely tolerable. I will need CV w/ ANY more lift, but for now its just fine...been to 90mph and back...SMOOOOTH

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
BTW w/ my t-case sitting 2.25" inches from where it started life, and my suspension 2" higher, my junk is now 4.25" away from where it shoudl be, vibes are very slight, and completely tolerable. I will need CV w/ ANY more lift, but for now its just fine...been to 90mph and back...SMOOOOTH
Good job Sky... I hope to get mine on in 2 weeks.. Between work and the weather I am having a real hard time getting anything done.. Working on the Medic bumper right now.....Damn fine craftsmanship :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Skyhigh, Just a quick question on your buddys auto, do you thing I need to change anything of the gen 2 front slide for the auto matic...Jerry

·
Registered
368 Posts
just thought i'd share the info ive gotten via email from skid manufacturers

shigaloo:

I was wondering how the rubicon t/c skid development was going? Got any
details?

skidrow:

In all honesty, it hasn't gone very far. We have a new designer who just
started full-time 2 weeks ago. He'll be working on the t-case skid shortly,
but hasn't started yet. Business has increased for us and we just haven't
had the time to work on the Rubi. However, I'm thinking that we'll have
something around the end of the summer.

Sorry I didn't have better news.

shigaloo:

Just checking to see how the rubicon skid development is going? hows about an update.

offroadtoystore (33engineering)

Latest expected release date is August 30th. I could very well be before
then, but that's what is on the schedule for right now.

shigaloo:

i was wondering how the tc skid development was going

goferit offroad:

well we did a full on proto and were ready to hit the machine shop then we
stopped and got to thinking over many phone calls we have gotten. we are
contemplating just doing a bolt on replacement for the stock skid that is
beefier and smoother without actually going flat, there seem to be a lot of
people interested in that due to the extreme expense of having to do all
the other stuff you have to do to be flat. since we still haven't decided,
what is your opinion on that? we are not 100% sure we can compete with
the skids already out from tri county and kilby i think it is so we are
thinking of something different possibly.....let me know what you think, all
feedback is helping us decide which route to go!

nth degree mobility's website says oct 2003 for the tummy tucker

tri county gear has there t/c ($375) and engine ($225) skid combo ready to go,
according to 4wd & suv mag and TCG over the phone it requires a 1.5" BL
(TCG's for $225), 1" ML lift ($75), adjustable arm and CV DS

·
Administrator
15,127 Posts
thanks for the info...
Awsome detail!
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good research. You would think that there would be more good news this product seeing as the popularity of it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Medic3720 said:
Skyhigh, Just a quick question on your buddys auto, do you thing I need to change anything of the gen 2 front slide for the auto matic...Jerry
Nope, not really at all jerry, might want to make the Tranny mount holes a hair bigger to allow more tolerance for slight variations in driveline placement. Thats my only suggestion. But it looks, fits, and works like a champ!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts