Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on adding a "man" door to my garage this summer. There is currently a switch by the garage-to-house door. I want to replace the existing switch with a three way, pull 12/3 over to the new door, and add another three way switch by that door to control the overhead lights.

Here is what I have....

I found this configuration... The new switch is electrically between the existing switch and light/s

Physically it would be a PITA to put the new switch electrically between the existing switch and light/s

Can I do this?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes,
That would be easiest way to do it with your existing wiring.
Simply add the 3 wire from the existing switch location to the new "man door" location, and install the 3 way switches.
Note the "common" terminal may be in a different location than shown in the drawing (depending on brand of switch) but it will be clearly identified by the odd colored screw.
The only other thing is the note that says "Use wire nut to attach white wires together." should say "black".

·
Registered
391 Posts
@geroux
Just a thought...
generally a light is required outside an exterior door.
If you are planning to add one the wiring would obviously be different than the example above.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,
That would be easiest way to do it with your existing wiring.
Simply add the 3 wire from the existing switch location to the new "man door" location, and install the 3 way switches.
Note the "common" terminal may be in a different location than shown in the drawing (depending on brand of switch) but it will be clearly identified by the odd colored screw.
The only other thing is the note that says "Use wire nut to attach white wires together." should say "black".
Thanks... I probably have more than average skill in basic wiring. Just wanted to get a second set of eyes on this particular configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@geroux
Just a thought...
generally a light is required outside an exterior door.
If you are planning to add one the wiring would obviously be different than the example above.
I thought of that. I would put a double box near the door to add the outside lights switch and could pick up power (hot and neutral) at an outlet that is over there. If it's required by code I will probably do it, otherwise, I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
NEC 210.70(A)(2)(b)
For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.

I said "generally" simply because each jurisdiction is able to decide which codes they want to enforce, as well as the option to require more stringent requirements.

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NEC 210.70(A)(2)(b)
For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.

I said "generally" simply because each jurisdiction is able to decide which codes they want to enforce, as well as the option to require more stringent requirements.
Ahhh… Thanks(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts