Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that its a pretty big tank but i have a chance to snatch one up fairly cheap. Anyone happen to have pics of it mounted and is the 20 pounder a pain to have? Thanks on advanced

·
3,368 Posts
I cannot comment on the 20 pounder. But this might help you some. I have a 15 pounder, fairly long bottle especially if you have those fancy curved handles. Mine fits easily with a hard or soft top. It's fairly heavy when full, around 33 pounds I think. Just got mine filled today and it cost me $25 to have it filled, but the price varys quite a bit in my experience. I get mine filled by a dude that does fire extinguishers, and he will pick it up from me and bring it back, usually the next day or the same day. On the jeep the bottle just fits. If you look at this pic, the bottle might have 3 inches to spare underneath it where it is hung. But it is put in this position cause it didn't put the tank bracket in a bind. But there are lots of different tank mounts. With a different one I could probably push it down some. FWIW, I LOVE my CO2 tank. it is as handy as running water in a house.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea there great i ran a small 5lb one years ago just wondered if the 20 would be a bit much. I had it mounted just like yours nice and out of the way. A 20 shouldnt be much bigger than your 15. Not to bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am leaning to go this route for airing my tires. It is:
1) Simple
2) Cheap
3) Portable
4) and it can be used as a fire extinguisher if need be

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
RockyMnt1 said:
1) Simple
2) Cheap
3) Portable

1, 2, 3 yes.

How so with 4??? What adapater are you using? I've put out MANY fires using Co2, but they are twin 100# cylinders with large wand foggers, in addition to a bank of 10 100# cylinders that pop all at once, backed by water suprescent. Don't want to be too close when they pop-you'll go down as well due to lack of oxygen. The smaller 30# portables have a similar wand style as the bigger twins. With all of these I've used, how do you plan to do the same with a 10# or 20# bottle used for tires??? Just curious as my ABC extinguisher is messy...

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]
RockyMnt1 said:
1) Simple
2) Cheap
3) Portable

1, 2, 3 yes.

How so with 4??? What adapater are you using? I've put out MANY fires using Co2, but they are twin 100# cylinders with large wand foggers, in addition to a bank of 10 100# cylinders that pop all at once, backed by water suprescent. Don't want to be too close when they pop-you'll go down as well due to lack of oxygen. The smaller 30# portables have a similar wand style as the bigger twins. With all of these I've used, how do you plan to do the same with a 10# or 20# bottle used for tires??? Just curious as my ABC extinguisher is messy...

Best of Luck,

Mike[/quote]I don't know anything about CO2 fire extinguishers. What I do know is there were a bunch of single tank looking things in S.E. Asia that were marked CO2 during the late '60s and early '70s. It was extremely difficult to locate one that wasn't discharged. Seems that they worked really well to chill down beer. Don't ask me how I personally know this. They just seemed to throw out a dense cold fog and nothing but, ice and condensation remained on the cans afterward.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
CO2 works well for electrical fires. It works by displacing the oxygen its cold yes but it doesn't really remove any heat from a fire the way water does. Most CO2 portable extinguishers are 15lb so your 20lb would work if you had an adapter to swap back and forth between the nozzle and the tire fitting. But you will also need quick disconnects on your bottle as your nozzle hose cannot be that long. Seems like a nifty idea but probably not worth the effort I would just use it for tires and get a small portable chemical extinguisher.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Not a 20, but I have both 10 and a 15 pound tank and either can fit behind the rear seat in a TJ, the only difference between the two is the height, and the 20, should just be a bit taller too.

Something else to be aware of ...

Take a look at the certification date on the tank if it has one, I believe CO2 needs to have the tank re-certified every 5 years. If the tank is out of date, depending on the fill station, wether you swap the empty for a full on or just get it refilled, you may need to have it re-certified. By me ( Southern NJ ) it cost me about a week and $20 to have it done to one of my tanks.

Just factor that into the cost of the tank.

·
Registered
599 Posts
There is a great spot to mount the 20lb tank behind the rear seat in an Unlimited. I've had my 20lb tank since spring 2005. No regrets. Works great.

The tank mounting bracket is bolted to the wheel well on the driver's side. I also have an Insta-trunk for the short wheelbase TJ mounted at the rear and there is still room to store my soft doors between the tank and the insta-trunk.
My tank certification expired last spring. I had to leave it at the re-fill place for about 3 days and it cost $20 to get it re-certified for 5 years. The cost included a free refill which is about a $14 value.
I run 35 inch tires and even with the cheap regulator I have it will fill a tire from 17-30 psi in under a minute. And it will fill over 40 of them between tank refills. I usually only have to fill the tank 1 to 2 times per season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts