Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. I have been on this forum allot, trying to educate myself on buying a Jeep. Bought one last week so guess I can actually be a member now 馃槑. I got a 04 TJ Rubicon with a Metalcloak 3.5 lift, 35s and 5.13 gears.
The wheels are the factory Moab with 1 1/4 spacers. I thinking about swapping the 35s out for some 33s on 15x8s. I want to do some moderate trails and that would give me a little insurance on not breaking stuff as easily. Thoughts ?

Super Moderator
Depends on where you are and what type(s) of terrain you plan to drive in.

Administrator
Welcome again to ROF. An experienced driver can do fine with 35s - experience = judicious use of the throttle and never ever bouncing. Bouncing = broken parts. 33s would be great to start and quite capable on a TJ.

Reactions: EMRubicon

Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
Hey.. I have been on this forum allot, trying to educate myself on buying a Jeep. Bought one last week so guess I can actually be a member now 馃槑. I got a 04 TJ Rubicon with a Metalcloak 3.5 lift, 35s and 5.13 gears.
The wheels are the factory Moab with 1 1/4 spacers. I thinking about swapping the 35s out for some 33s on 15x8s. I want to do some moderate trails and that would give me a little insurance on not breaking stuff as easily. Thoughts ?
Sounds like a nice Jeep! Are the axle shafts, steering, and lockers OEM or upgraded? My first thought is to just run as-is so you don't "waste" money on 33s, but if you think you'd appreciate the Jeep being a little lower, piece of mind getting on the skinny pedal, and have the funds, then go for 33s.

Lots of people here run 33" tires on the Moab wheels: 285/75/16 or 255/85/16.

Another option would be to start scouring Craigslist, FB, etc., for someone selling a set of cheap 33s with wheels included. That way you can test it out then turn around and re-sell if you decide you don't like it.

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum.
I鈥檓 a 33s guy, but wouldn鈥檛 change the 35s until they termed out. You sound like you have the mindset to avoid breakage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome again to ROF. An experienced driver can do fine with 35s - experience = judicious use of the throttle and never ever bouncing. Bouncing = broken parts. 33s would be great to start and quite capable on a TJ.
Thanks!!. I would say I am experienced, but no expert for sure. I had a stock 98 S10 Zr2 with 31 MTs on it I used to take to the Badlands in Attica Indiana, and "mudden" in the local stripper pits. But that was back in high school and college, which was a couple decades ago 馃槖馃榿. That rig was also my daily driver that had to get me to school and work, so not breaking things has been a necessity for most my life. This rig is not a daily driver, but breaking stuff still can ruin you day, and that's no good either =).

RubiconRic: Axles and lockers are factory, but it does have the ZJ steering upgrade. If I went to 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 tires on the stock rims, could I take off the spacer? Seller said they were the high-end best spacers you can get (I am drawing a blank at the moment what they are), but I am leery of the spacer idea. I would like to have proper sized wheels instead.
And yeah I have already been looking through the virtual classifieds for someone willing to trade 35s for 33s. You would think there is someone who would want to. 35s do look pretty good.

Premium Member
Thanks!!. I would say I am experienced, but no expert for sure. I had a stock 98 S10 Zr2 with 31 MTs on it I used to take to the Badlands in Attica Indiana, and "mudden" in the local stripper pits. But that was back in high school and college, which was a couple decades ago 馃槖馃榿. That rig was also my daily driver that had to get me to school and work, so not breaking things has been a necessity for most my life. This rig is not a daily driver, but breaking stuff still can ruin you day, and that's no good either =).

RubiconRic: Axles and lockers are factory, but it does have the ZJ steering upgrade. If I went to 285/75/16 or 255/85/16 tires on the stock rims, could I take off the spacer? Seller said they were the high-end best spacers you can get (I am drawing a blank at the moment what they are), but I am leery of the spacer idea. I would like to have proper sized wheels instead.
And yeah I have already been looking through the virtual classifieds for someone willing to trade 35s for 33s. You would think there is someone who would want to. 35s do look pretty good.
Probably have some rubbing issues if you remove the spacers running the 285/75 or 255/85 rubber.
Spacers don鈥檛 present any issues as long as they are installed properly.

Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
Going to 33s with your gearing would make first and second gear in 4Lo near un-useable and on the street your rpms would be extremely high once you hit 60mph.

On the reliability front. 35s on the stock axles with the proper gears are incredibly reliable.

My Vote, keep it as is

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going to 33s with your gearing would make first and second gear in 4Lo near un-useable and on the street your rpms would be extremely high once you hit 60mph.

On the reliability front. 35s on the stock axles with the proper gears are incredibly reliable.

My Vote, keep it as is
Ah鈥 I used a gear ratio calculator and got the difference in speed on 4 low would be a fraction of a mph between 33 and 35. And at 70mph there was about 150 rpm difference. That鈥檚 assuming entered all the numbers and information right. Here are the screen shots from the calculator. This correct ?
The other issue is the front tires seem to be rubbing on the lower control arm. I haven鈥檛 noticed anything while driving it, so most likely from when the previous owner had it flexing off-road.
Thanks
Building Font Technology Screenshot Tints and shades

Font Rectangle Building Parallel Pattern

Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
OOOOO You have an automatic. I was assuming you had a 5 Speed until I saw your Trans choice in that chart.
We have completely different ratios for our gears.
Font Number Parallel Circle Screenshot

That explains it.
Plug in the 5 Speed Gear ratios in those charts and you will understand why I answered the way I did.

I'd still still with 35s. They are a perfect blend of look and performance with reliability on the Rubi Axles

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OOOOO You have an automatic. I was assuming you had a 5 Speed until I saw your Trans choice in that chart.
We have completely different ratios for our gears.
View attachment 77228

That explains it.
Plug in the 5 Speed Gear ratios in those charts and you will understand why I answered the way I did.

I'd still still with 35s. They are a perfect blend of look and performance with reliability on the Rubi Axles
ahh.. gotcha. I am kind of leaning toward a body lift and / or flat fenders and staying with the 35s. Also I want to get some BFG KM3s and 33s are hard to find in stock, and 35s are about $40 a tire cheaper
:unsure:

Premium Member
BFG鈥檚 run small when it comes to actual size so that may be a benefit depending on your current 35鈥 rubber.
Even with a body lift and fender mod you鈥檒l probably still get some rubbing in spots.
As noted above, you鈥檙e gearing set up with an auto is perfect for 35鈥檚.
Side note, best overall fuel economy set up I鈥檝e had on my Jeep was 4.88鈥檚 and 33鈥 rubber.

Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
I just had a bunch of GenRight parts arrive at my place. Going to no flares in the rear and 0鈥 flat fenders in the front.
body lift and MML are always beneficial. And would help you.

Sarcastic Moderator
WIth 5.13s watch out for too much gas, the gears are much more fragile than 4.88...Less ring/pinion contact.
Used to spend a lot of time in badlands, best part was a river run before leaving to remove most of the mud...

Reactions: johncanfield

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WIth 5.13s watch out for too much gas, the gears are much more fragile than 4.88...Less ring/pinion contact.
Used to spend a lot of time in badlands, best part was a river run before leaving to remove most of the mud...
Good to know.. try to not be to aggressive with the skinny pedal. Is the "river run" where you go through the tubes? I never did go through those, water was usually little deep for my little daily driver ZR2. Spent a lot of time in the "Quarry".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts