Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Explorer V8 AWD
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANOTHER MASSIVE NATIONAL MONUMENT PUSHED IN UTAH!

Source with links http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/11/14/another-massive-national-monument-pushed-in-utah

Given the news of this week, we felt a need to update our update. We hate to inundate your inbox like this, but the threat is real, and you need to know about it.

Situation:
For whatever reason (November election, perhaps?) the Washington, DC.., Wilderness Lobby has twisted their proverbial throttle to "WIDE OPEN."

From Montana, we learn the Wilderness lobbyists feel "emboldened by election results" and are pushing the incredulously named "Forest Jobs and Recreation Act." That's Montana Senator Jon Tester's pitch to add an additional 600,000 acres to Montana's already impressive 3.5 million plus acres of Wilderness.

And in California, our friends at the American Lands Rights Association recently sent an action alert noting plans for yet another new National Park are in overdrive. Ditto for Wilderness efforts in Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada.

But Utah has been at the top of the Wilderness lobbyist's list for a long time, and yesterday we learned that they are pushing the Obama Administration to unilaterally declare a new gargantuan (1.4 million acre!!) National Monument in southeast Utah.

Long time BRC members will know this idea is not new. It has been one of SUWA's strategic goals since the early 1990s.

The environmental extremists are hard on the gas now, with the Outdoor Industry Council (OIA) on board, along with the help of Aron Ralston. Aron is the guy who got trapped by a rock when hiking alone in the remote Utah backcountry -- and had to cut his hand off! (He was ultimately rescued by Utah's Emery County Search and Rescue). Ralston cashed in on his unfortunate accident via the movie "127 Hours," and is promoting it via his greenie lobbying efforts.

Phil Taylor, with E&E news,has the story in a November 13, 2012, Greenwire article:
Outdoor industry calls for Utah Canyonlands monument
https://www.sharetrails.org/public-land ... s-monument

OIA erroneously tells President Obama that you, dear OHV enthusiast, are a big problem:

Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude.
"Exploding" OHV use? That's a lie. I don't have to tell you that the BLM's new travel plan closed over 50% of the roads and trails. OIA say's it's the "leading voice of the outdoor industry." What a joke. OIA's advocacy efforts have devolved into nothing more than being corporate shills for the Wilderness Society. Sheesh...

What you can do
Below are a couple of things you can do to help defend Utah's roads and trails. A couple of the action items are simple and won't take much of your time. Others involve supporting Utah's access champions with a generous check.

I know... I know... we're always asking for money. But our history shows that with only a fraction of the funding these Wilderness Lobby organizations have, we can match their efforts toe to toe, and sometimes even beat them at their own game. BRC is not funded by big powersports businesses, despite what SUWA might say. Your financial support is critical if we are to keep Utah's Red Rock Roads open.
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2004/ ... ory-ohvers

Action Items:
Renew your membership in Utah's Pro Access Organizations:
Utah Shared Access Alliance (CLICK HERE)
BlueRibbon Coalition (CLICK HERE)

Take Action to keep Utah's Coral Pink Sand Dunes open
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/ ... se-update-

Learn about and support BRC's efforts to beat another SUWA lawsuit:
Will environmentalist lawsuits close Utah's icon OHV areas such as Moab and the San Rafael Swell? (CLICK HERE)

Donate $$ to beat SUWA (CLICK HERE)

Support your politicians that support your recreational access!
CLICK HERE, enter your zip code, and encourage your U.S. House and Senate rep to oppose these efforts!

Thank you in advance for your membership renewal and your financial support. It really isn't a cliché‚.... Membership is our Lifeblood!

As always, please call or email with questions or comments,

Brian Hawthorne Ric Foster
Public Lands Policy Director Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102 208-237-1008 ext 107

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
looking back to when I had to deal with the BLM for a ROF trip .......
"they" = gov agencies and many establishments in Moab

"they" did not want us there...
"they" could care less about the economic benefits of groups to Moab.

i put the town of Moab into my comment ....if other areas around get taken away
it`s going to kill that town.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I think it's dangerously naive to believe Moab would shrivel up and die without the offroad visitors. I stop in Moab for fuel and a meal all through the year. It's packed with tourists year round, most of whom have little or no interest in offroading. Go there in late summer and you'll hardly hear a wordd of English being spoken, the town is so full of European tourists - basically NONE of whom are there for the wheeling. I was there three weeks ago and every restaurant was full, streets lined with people, motel parking lots all full - but with minivans and Priuses and Liberties and Subarus, not Jeeps. When I finally got a table at the Brewery and asked the waitress what everyone was in town for, she didn't even know - said she didn't think there was any event going on, just tons of people there to hike and visit the parks in the cooler weather.

Believe me, while the loss of offroading will be devastating to the small businesses that specifically cater to wheelers, the over all Moab economy will do just fine without us. And it's not by accident, either. The political elite class that started moving into Moab 30 years ago have had an openly stated goal of creating an amenities based eco-tourist economy structured around limited access for the elite since day one. They are in the process of succeeding.

It does no good to fool ourselves about that. Votes and dollars in the right pockets are what is needed. Wrongly believing we have a big economic stick to swing is counter productive. The folks driving this WANT to see the local businesses that support our hobby die and go away - they don't feel threatened by the loss of offroading in the least.

I reccomend reading Jim Stiles book "Brave New West, Morphing at the Speed of Greed". Jim Stiles was founder and editor of the "Canyon Country Zephyr". A Moab based "greenie rag" that promoted the enviro agenda for years. To me, Jim Stiles was the face and the voice of the enemy. But, I found it very interesting just how much we actually agree on, when it comes to the way the Moab ammenities based economy has been shaped by big money enviro elite interests and the consequences.

- DAA

·
Registered
38 Posts
ANOTHER MASSIVE NATIONAL MONUMENT PUSHED IN UTAH!

Source with links http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/11/14/another-massive-national-monument-pushed-in-utah

Given the news of this week, we felt a need to update our update. We hate to inundate your inbox like this, but the threat is real, and you need to know about it.

Situation:
For whatever reason (November election, perhaps?) the Washington, DC.., Wilderness Lobby has twisted their proverbial throttle to "WIDE OPEN."

From Montana, we learn the Wilderness lobbyists feel "emboldened by election results" and are pushing the incredulously named "Forest Jobs and Recreation Act." That's Montana Senator Jon Tester's pitch to add an additional 600,000 acres to Montana's already impressive 3.5 million plus acres of Wilderness.

And in California, our friends at the American Lands Rights Association recently sent an action alert noting plans for yet another new National Park are in overdrive. Ditto for Wilderness efforts in Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada.

But Utah has been at the top of the Wilderness lobbyist's list for a long time, and yesterday we learned that they are pushing the Obama Administration to unilaterally declare a new gargantuan (1.4 million acre!!) National Monument in southeast Utah.

Long time BRC members will know this idea is not new. It has been one of SUWA's strategic goals since the early 1990s.

The environmental extremists are hard on the gas now, with the Outdoor Industry Council (OIA) on board, along with the help of Aron Ralston. Aron is the guy who got trapped by a rock when hiking alone in the remote Utah backcountry -- and had to cut his hand off! (He was ultimately rescued by Utah's Emery County Search and Rescue). Ralston cashed in on his unfortunate accident via the movie "127 Hours," and is promoting it via his greenie lobbying efforts.

Phil Taylor, with E&E news,has the story in a November 13, 2012, Greenwire article:
Outdoor industry calls for Utah Canyonlands monument
https://www.sharetrails.org/public-land ... s-monument

OIA erroneously tells President Obama that you, dear OHV enthusiast, are a big problem:

Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude.
"Exploding" OHV use? That's a lie. I don't have to tell you that the BLM's new travel plan closed over 50% of the roads and trails. OIA say's it's the "leading voice of the outdoor industry." What a joke. OIA's advocacy efforts have devolved into nothing more than being corporate shills for the Wilderness Society. Sheesh...

What you can do
Below are a couple of things you can do to help defend Utah's roads and trails. A couple of the action items are simple and won't take much of your time. Others involve supporting Utah's access champions with a generous check.

I know... I know... we're always asking for money. But our history shows that with only a fraction of the funding these Wilderness Lobby organizations have, we can match their efforts toe to toe, and sometimes even beat them at their own game. BRC is not funded by big powersports businesses, despite what SUWA might say. Your financial support is critical if we are to keep Utah's Red Rock Roads open.
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2004/ ... ory-ohvers

Action Items:
Renew your membership in Utah's Pro Access Organizations:
Utah Shared Access Alliance (CLICK HERE)
BlueRibbon Coalition (CLICK HERE)

Take Action to keep Utah's Coral Pink Sand Dunes open
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/ ... se-update-

Learn about and support BRC's efforts to beat another SUWA lawsuit:
Will environmentalist lawsuits close Utah's icon OHV areas such as Moab and the San Rafael Swell? (CLICK HERE)

Donate $$ to beat SUWA (CLICK HERE)

Support your politicians that support your recreational access!
CLICK HERE, enter your zip code, and encourage your U.S. House and Senate rep to oppose these efforts!

Thank you in advance for your membership renewal and your financial support. It really isn't a cliché‚.... Membership is our Lifeblood!

As always, please call or email with questions or comments,

Brian Hawthorne Ric Foster
Public Lands Policy Director Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102 208-237-1008 ext 107
e
Environmental extremists make for wonderful Bear bait during Bear season here in N. Idaho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts