Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Another GPS Question

845 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jeepfreak23939 
#1 ·
I am considering buying an automotive type GPS. I am leaning toward the Nuvi 750 at this point. It is my understanding that you can not load TOPO maps on most if not all ASutomotive type units. So, what does the unit show when you take the road less traveled into the mountains? I don't get into anything hard-core, but do enjoy driving around on maintained forest roads and trails. Do they show up, if they are on Google Maps for instance?

#2 ·
I've been looking at getting a GPS and I too have decided on the Garmin Nuvi 750. You can load Topo maps onto it from an SD card. The topo maps cost extra though. If you go off road without the topo maps it might not show a road. The 750 would show your track that you have made. Garmin also seems to update their maps more frequently than other manufacturers. I'm getting mine after Christmas probably.

#3 ·
Do some searches here, the Garmin 2720 does topo. Garmin will tell you it will not but I can tell you it will I have the latest topo loaded on it and it works fine.

Garmin discontinued the unit, so I got it really cheap, it came with a wireless remote that is really nice.

Used it on a trip from cali to Co and it was awesome.

I think they still sell the 2730 and it should do topo as well, the topo map ran me 99 bucks at REI, but its all the US.

Edit: the model they still make is the 2830, I don't know what it is going for but I would bet it takes their topo software just like my 2720. The2820 is the 2720 with blue tooth and MO3 support.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=382

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.