Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P0304 code after putting about 100 miles on my new Bosch platinum +2 plugs. I want to check the plug. Igathered it is a misfire on #4, but the dumb question is.... which is actually #4? sorry guys!
 

·
Jeepless in PA
Joined
·
12,587 Posts
#4 is the last one.

The plugs are fired by (front)153624(last)
The plugs are ordered 1 to 6


edit-see below. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
the b said:
I have a P0304 code after putting about 100 miles on my new Bosch platinum +2 plugs. I want to check the plug. Igathered it is a misfire on #4, but the dumb question is.... which is actually #4? sorry guys!
What year model and engine?? You may be running the wrong plugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both. Its aN 03 RUBICON. I looked them up, but that doesnt mean much some times!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I just looked it up again, says 4308. I'm goint to go tear it apart and check the #4 (last ) plug. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I even changed the plug to an old one that I knew worked and nothing. The code cleared, but will likely be back on soon. Runs rough. Any idea how to rest the coil rail?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
778 Posts
just fyi, the general consensus is that the inline 6's seem to hate the fancy plugs. there have been lots of people that have had problems after switching to platinum/splitfire/unobtaium whizbang plugs....switching back to a stock style plug generally eliminates the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
gregert12 said:
#4 is the last one.

The plugs are ordered by (front)153624(last)

Ummmm. Thats the firing order not the plug location. Number one is the front, number 6 is the back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,181 Posts
Skinny Pedal said:
Ummmm. Thats the firing order not the plug location. Number one is the front, number 6 is the back.
I am thinking the same. If someone says #4 is missing that would be the #4 plug. The rear plug is #6, but it fires 4th. Of course I know little about code read outs and such. But I'd think looking at plugs by firing order as opposed to placement could get confusing. Think of how confusing this would be on a V motor!! I'm with Skinny, #4 is #4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
the engine is numbered 1 thru 6 -- front to back

the firing order is the location of the plug wire on the distributer, or on new motors when the computer tells that plug-coilpack to fire.

firing order is the order in which the engine needs to fire to rotate the crank in a balanced rotation, thats why when you have the misfire, or plug issue your engine runs rough. the piston will travel up and down, but without the explosion of fuel to force it down creates the rough idle.

the #4 plug is the 4th from the front.. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I just got back here. It ended up being or leading to a collapsed lifter. It was cold and raining/snow, so I had a mechanic budy look at it with me in his garage. He never seen a cleaner motor inside (my first opened motor after running all synthetic. Likely just a fluke. I couldnt tell if the cam was marred, so i made a controversial decision to put in a rebuild and keep the core. I will either fix the lifter and possibly the cam and resell it or stroke it and druel until i get the time and money to make it all come together. Divorce is draining me and my pocket book! lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,924 Posts
JimmyB said:
just fyi, the general consensus is that the inline 6's seem to hate the fancy plugs. there have been lots of people that have had problems after switching to platinum/splitfire/unobtaium whizbang plugs....switching back to a stock style plug generally eliminates the problem.
I've read that as well over on other forums back in the days when I frequented "other places".



the b said:
It ended up being or leading to a collapsed lifter. It was cold and raining/snow, so I had a mechanic budy look at it with me in his garage. He never seen a cleaner motor inside (my first opened motor after running all synthetic. Likely just a fluke. I couldnt tell if the cam was marred, so i made a controversial decision to put in a rebuild and keep the core.
Still no idea what caused mine to fail (see avatar pic, #5 lifters)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,210 Posts
I've got maybe 75 miles on new Bosch Platinums and they seem to run just fine - maybe it's my avatar that makes a difference :cheesy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,663 Posts
a vertically challenged lifter :rotflmao:

These old motors love the plain jane plugs, anything else either causes trouble or nets no benefit.

john
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,418 Posts
desertfox1 said:
JimmyB said:
just fyi, the general consensus is that the inline 6's seem to hate the fancy plugs. there have been lots of people that have had problems after switching to platinum/splitfire/unobtaium whizbang plugs....switching back to a stock style plug generally eliminates the problem.I've read that as well over on other forums back in the days when I frequented "other places".quote]

I too used to frequent "other places" and noted on my "For Future Reference" list that the 6 cylinder likes either the Autolite APP985 or the Champion 7034. Being my Rubi has only 13000 miles on it, I haven't had the need to check out either of these plugs. I saw these plugs referenced many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry so late back here people. Lifter collapsed.Put in a rebuild. Might make a stroker out of the old one? When and if the money train ever rolls in...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top