Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After heavy rains last week. Front-end DS (I think) started the angry sparrows problem. Well, time for the 5km service anyway, so we'll let the local DC dealership handle it. Two days later, they still can't find the problem. (check my location). I knew I should have fixed it myself. My confidence is down to the single digits now.

My problem is, I wanted to take a road trip to So. Ca. next week. (2000 miles each way). Parts are waiting. I've got to go. Next window for a trip is not until late August. I guess I'll be expecting to remove the front DS on the road.

Sorry, I'm better now. I guess the sparrows are not the only one that is angry :mad:

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got the angry sparrows a little while back too but they went away. I have put about 1000 mi on since then and no reocurrance. I figure I am just goign to wait until it isn't so intermittent before I take it into the dealer. At least it is a well documented problem (in the 97's :? ).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Angry sparrows is when one (or more) U-joint runs dry, dirty, etc. Sometimes the centering ball on some. You can't miss it. At about 5 mph, a nice gentle chripping begins. At 25 to 35 mph, they get pretty angry. Dogs start chasing you and everyone turns to look. At speed, it can sounds like a belt slipping. Above 45 to 50, it goes away, but you can still feel it.

HTH, Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
The angry sparrows are back for me. I was driving beside this brand new Accord and I heard this high pitch howl. I looked over at the Accord, originally thinking it was the guy beside me, and he was staring at me like my Jeep was going to explode. I don't have a clue how to reproduce this noise because it is so intermittent. I am going to take it into the dealer and hopefully it will perform for them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update and question

After three days, the local dealer fixed it. Between the service manager being ambiguous and the language difference, I'm still not sure exactly where the problem was. I heard a slight chirp at 30kph when leaving but have heard nothing since. (maybe it was in my mind/ears). I can see they pulled the front DS and even dropped the skid/shovel. The real test will come soon when it rains again. 12 to 16 inches of water did it last time. I'm sure it will test it again next time. Oh, that's normal street driving. If it's raining you've got 12 inches of water (we're talking rain here). Enough about the weather...

OK, I'm driving back to the good olde U.S. next week (2000 miles each way). Being about 50 per cent certain I'm going to have to pull the front DS on the road: Do you have to pull the skid? Did they remove the skid because rookies go into the mode of pulling any bolt that has its head exposed?

Solo, in the Jeep, for 3 or 4 days; oh... the call of upgrades is strong!

Chris

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The "Angry Sparrows" that you are talking about originated in the 2K TJ. It turned out to be the front DS and apperently the fix is to replace it. If it continues or returns take it back and ask for a new DS.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder if there would be anyway of convincing them to replace the rear with a Tom Woods shaft.

"I know the front DS is the problem but as good preventative maintenance I suggest you replace the rear too."

In a perfect world that would actually work.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
That Squeek Sucks!

You may have to drop the belly skid to take off the front DS. My 97 had this problem and I had a shop hack off the end that connects to the t-case and put a new end on that was greasable, cost me $125. When I put it back on I had to lower the skid to put the thing back on, what a hassle. Anyway I hope this is not a problem again this time I am not paying for it, DC WILL! Later

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I didn't have to do any road repairs. The ride was long with only one minor problem. After a long drive at 65-70 mph, the idle seems to get messed up. Bucking like a bronc. (happened right at the border). After a few re-starts (gas stops) and at the start of next day, no problem. Third day, after a long drive, did it again. Then shortly went away after running rough at a couple of red lights.

At first, I thought it was bad gas. I had notice some slight pinging at cruise (70 mph). Not under load or anything. It was a; ping, ping, silence, ping, silence, silence, ping. Switching to higher octane remove the pinging. It's like the computer was leaning out the mixture at cruise (??). Time to read the FSM, but I'm too busy adding parts.

This is the first time my Jeep has seen anything over 45-50 mph. Maybe it's just getting used to it... :lol:

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
I've only heard the midly irritated sparrows at 5mph and under. The sound seemed to come from the front driver side and it's been there for a while. Low and behold, when I checked my front axles this weekend I discovered major leakage :mad: . Related? I don't know.

G

·
0 Posts
You just had to start talking about angry sparrows, I seem to have picked up some relatives. Mine is definately rotational with the tires, so it is one of the u-joints. I figure I'll give the DS a shot of silicone spray since this was the original axle leak side. See what happens.

Ron

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had the sparrows and took it to dealership they repalced rear drive shaft and u joints 5-6000 miles ago. Now at 14k they are back. guess its time to go to dealership again. :x

·
Registered
351 Posts
How did they start

I am starting to hear a very faint high pitched squeaking. Is it the start of the dreaded sparrows? :( :(

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
u will know it at low speed 1-15 mph you will hear a Chirping sound..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got my very first angry sparrow chirping today. We just finished running a trail that has not seen another vehicle larger that a atv for a long time. After I got to good road, I had this chirp chirp chirp from the front. After getting it up to highway speed It quit. Isnt the problem in the front cv joint usually? Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes Mike, it's the joint.

Let the dealer fix it if you can. If not, Stu's site has a great write-up.

HTH, Chris

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
low speed chirps

I had the same problem with my Rubi after Hunting. It was run through Mud, snow and water (Hunt was on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon last Fall). Upon return to the house, I heard the squeak at low speeds, i.e. pulling into the driveway or backing out. It probably was continuing at higher speeds, but due to tire noise and stereo, I didn't really notice it. The fix was simple and a common problem for our rigs.
The front axle seals.
They were dirty and causing my squeak. The stealership took on the repair and greased the seals. Of course they then started to leak.... So, back to the stealership and they were replaced. No problems since. My service advisor stated that water really messes with our seals. I've been careful to grease them at regular intervals since.
No problems and no driveshafts or u-joints to replace. I've got 27,000 on the Rubi in the 11 months.
Reading this thread brought me back to some advice/learned knowledge from years ago. When diagnosing a problem, always check the simple things first. I've built Harley's for 15 years and worked on all of my Jeeps (I've built several streetable racercars and restored several cars, as well) I've been on the side of the road more than once with a broken vehicle and forced to troubleshoot it. I have learned the hard way to take a deep breath and look for the simple things like spark and gas first.....
What I'm getting at, is that my sparrow chirps were from an axle seal that needed grease, nothing more. Sure, go look for driveshaft issues and u joint stuff, but check those seals. Its a common problem and I've seen threads on this site documenting the problem. I take my rubi out on some of the harshest trails AZ and CO have. I've had no driveshaft issues,yet (murphy's law is ever present) nor u joint issues, yet.
Anyway, I just wanted to remind you of another source of that low speed squawking. I know it bothered me until it was fixed.

Stu Olsen is fellow AZVJC'er and his site is good. He's got good write ups and tech stuff. Rereading the posts and the mentioning of lots of water makes me really think it was/is just your seals. Keep em greased and you may save yourself several hours of dealing with the stealership-good luck
HTH
Huck

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks Dr.Rock. Will check that should it start squeaking again. It has quit for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts