Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to mount my Sony 50Wx4 amplifier and I found out last night that it isn't going to fit where I thought it would. I was planning on putting it in the huge center console but its too big. The lock cylinder is in the way so it just isn't going to happen.

Can anyone suggest somewhere to mount it? It won't fit under either of the seats and the rear seat is permanently removed. The amp is approximately 12" x 15" but is reasonably slim. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Triver....

1) Do you have an add a trunk? If so you can put inside the trunk and mount it on the back of it.

2) Will fit on the floor behind the drivers seat. If it will I would get a piece of plywood or plexiglass (1/2") and put a 1" riser legs on one side and then mount the plexi on the floor someway.. IE.. Screws (make sure you put some thing in the holes) or double sided tape. Then screw the amp down on the pexi base and build a cover for it that is open towards the rear and the front for air to move throug. make the top out of something that is strong enough to have someone put there feet on if you are using the back seat. Also something that can't be seen through so would be thefts can't see it.

By rasing in off the floor this will allow you to get water in the JP with out worring about submerging it. This will also allow you to utilize the back seat with passengers.

I would also suggest that you pull the floor plug underneath the carpet behind the seat just in case you get one of those freak thunderstoms out there and the top is down.

This is just an Idea as you are dealing with a pretty big amp and no space to put it.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
368 Posts
i second the instatrunk idea, mounting it vertically leaves you the least chance of water damage

if you are not using the back seat at all, what about a simple enclosure behind the drivers seat?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
dr_shigaloo said:
i second the instatrunk idea, mounting it vertically leaves you the least chance of water damage

if you are not using the back seat at all, what about a simple enclosure behind the drivers seat?
My Idea is kinda like an enclosur but it is open at 2 ends for the heat to escape. I would not suggest a 50x4 in a sealed box....

JMO

·
Registered
340 Posts
What about picking another amp that is not so wide? What about making a small box to house the amp and sits on top of the rear fender...you could cover the box with carpet and it would blend it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason why I want to go with this amp is that I already own it. I don't want to have to go buy a new one. This one also has a great deal of adjustability with its own internal crossover network. Also, I don't have the add-a-trunk thing. I don't even use my rear seat at all so the add-a-trunk would reduce my cargo space.

It would fit on the floor behind either one of the seats but I would really like to retain the "spray out interior" feature. I think I am going to modify my center console to accept the amp. It will fit, it just won't fit as easily as I had originally hoped it would. I can also grind away part of the outer heat sink/case of the amp to cut down on the interference.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I had two amps in my sport both were on each side of the kick panels down by where your feet go. They tucked up under the dash and I mounted them at the bottom. Hard to describe but you could try and see if yours fits down there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts