Rubicon Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,589 Posts
Speaking of accidence and the lord... A few hours ago while waiting for new tires to be mounted on my Jeep I was hit by a car while crossing a street in a crosswalk. Looked both ways and no cars, started across and a guy came flying out of a stores parking lot exit. He turned into me about mid way, in an instant jumped back but he clipped me. My jump saved me from being run over but I was thrown back into the road divider on my back. I was stunned for awhile. Now back from the emergency room with bruised kidney and various scrapes, hematomas and bruises. The driver got 2 citations. Well what to say but good reflexes saved me from a bad driver. A crowd of people came to my assistance and helped me off the road. The cops came quick as did the fire department paramedics and ambulance. So what does this have to do with ammo? Nothing but we still have a society in place and hope it stays that way. Excuse the off subject comment just re-read those by John and Wildrat and this is what came to me since I am still alive after a close call.
I am glad you were ok.
While I like society, I will not curl up and wither if society does not make it. I was in the army when the wall came down and it was really close with the russion hardliners trying to stage a coup and take power. If they would have WW# would have happened. Our society is very fragile, look at the pandemic and supply shortages, what would have happened if covid was deadlier or spread more, collapse of our society, with no food or other items being produced and not imports of stuff. There have been several incidents in my lifetime where society could collapse, so being prepared for it is prudent.

Better to have and not need than need and not have...

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just want it known that I don't believe in privately owned guns and ammo. That's for our government to take care of. Also, the USA isn't the best country. Woke ism is the best thing since sliced bread. Unless slicing bread is offensive to anyone. Afterall, bread has yeast and yeast is live so there you go.
My birth doctor must have been an idiot. He/she/they/it/(i can't remember other correct pronouns) only used the presence of a penis and two testies to determine my sex. SOB or SOD/DOS/SOS/whatever of whatever, should have allowed me to decide when I went to kindergarten. Anyway, no guns or ammo at my house or truck or jeep or workshop or barn or car or boat or church (wait, not church 🤔 Sunday meeting place) or waist. Guns-bad, bad people-misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a friend that works at a major gun store and is a fellow hunter and has lots of guns like I do. Both of us have accumulated guns as hunters and guns passed down by our fathers and grandfathers that were also hunters and shooting sportsman. All of us mentioned are military veterans and all of us know how to use a gun. Will add both of us have been involved with rifle team competition and earn grants from the NRA.

We have talked about the change in those that seek a gun. This change is something different than what we grew up with and we both agree it looks ominous and concerning.

Most gun buyers today are looking for a self defense weapon. You don't hear what's the best gun for duck or what do I need for deer. These new gun buyers are not from a culture of family and friend hunters that were from childhood handed down knowledge about how to handle a gun safely and how to hunt. The new breed wants a gun to shoot humans!

The question is why do the new gun buyers think they need a gun? Is it for protection? Have they been scared by paranoid predictions of social collapse? Could it be that they perceive crime is out of control. Is it to be manly?

Whatever, this gun and ammo buying spree looks crazy and dangerous. Too many people today are buying guns that are not trained and have fear of other humans and fear of the future, a bad combination!

Just remember the Men in Black movie quote by Tommy Lee Jones, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
Well it’s a good thing the Supreme Court goes beyond your frame of reference in its interpretation of the Constitution.

I’m not interested in hunting. I was not in the military. I didn’t grow up in a family of gun culture. You and your gun store friend would have judged me to be a scary, new gun owner of concern. I knew I looked like a rookie, but I didn’t care because I knew who I was. I didn’t inform the gun salesman I had 25 years of fight training. I didn’t tell him I had to watch my back on the streets of Compton, Watts, and South Central. I didn’t tell him about being surrounded by gang members. I didn’t tell him about being assaulted with a knife three times. I didn’t have to explain that I knew how to get hit in the face and keep my cool. I didn’t have to explain my experience of being sued for $20 million for loss of life. I own one AR15, but I’ve built four. I can key hole half a magazine of 9 mil. I rear naked choked out a dog that attacked my dog. It latched on to her head and wouldn’t let go.

But yeah, I looked like a rookie at the gun store and maybe even a statistic as the gun salesman philosophized with his friend later.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
Interesting comments. I was an avid fisherman (fisherperson fisherkid LOL) as a kid and went rabbit hunting. But no guns until we started bluewater sailing in our 40 foot ketch so I bought a used Mini 14 and we carried that for protection for a while. It became a huge hassle checking in the rifle in Caribbean countries that we finally sent it back home. If it came to a very dangerous situation I would have used our flare gun.

When we bought our place out here in the boonies I was always a bit concerned about being isolated so I bought a Ruger SR40 (our first handgun) and wife and I practiced a bunch with that gun in prep for our carry license, 10 hours of classroom and a shooting proficiency test. We both easily passed and we both carry. By the way, the SR40 was a flawless performer. We probably put 500+ rounds through it with zero problems. It was Ruger's first striker fired pistol. Dear wife is still a bit upset I passed it along to a relative.

Then we bought more handguns as wife and I really enjoyed shooting. We would go through 150-200 rounds at least once a month. I would deer hunt a bit but we didn't care for venison. Then I started hog hunting on a friend's ranch and that was a bunch of fun so then I started acquiring ARs.

With the current global and national situation I thought it prudent to become as self sufficient as possible so we can thrive regardless of what happens around us. Our ranching neighbors (except for one) are of like mind so that's comforting.

We are very well equipped.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Side note...it's interesting, even fun, reading threads from which one has, a long time ago, blocked an individual. Just from the viewable posts, and as the thread develops, I can see the general reason for the prior blockage.:cool: Nothing offensive directed at undisclosed individuals. Just, obviously heard/read enough of the opinions and not interested any longer. As my grandaddy would say. If nothing but bad comes from X number of encounters, then why add another. 👀✌

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Blocking an individual, is that like putting the head in the sand and into the bubble only to hear echos of similar mind sets. We all know where that goes.

For those that see what's going on it is clear that many new gun owners are not responsible. Based on who's buying guns today the majority is buying based on fear not sport. Gun ownership is not what it once was and the current situation in America is tragic.

Gun laws are being made or not from votes of our lawmakers that are receiving millions of dollars from the gun lobby. That same gun lobby is profiting by putting weapons designed for one thing, killing humans, and flooding them into our society. If that is not corruption and not irresponsible what is?

Have a different view? That's OK although flippancy, put downs and personal attacks don't provide an intelligent discussion.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
I have a suggestion. Let’s dial back opinion about the end of society or opinions on the psychology of others.

Reactions: Wildrat

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Norminator asked: What’s your preference for 9 mil? 115 gr or 124 gr? Why?

Considering the 9mm the 124 gn would have a little bit more energy and thus hit harder but at distance the 115 gn would have less drop. But the question could only be answered correctly if all the different gn rounds were practiced with under the conditions intended. Distance to target and what gun the 9mm is shot from are two factors. My preference target practicing with a pistol is a smaller gn only to reduce recoil so if choosing a round by gn would take the 115.

Self defense generally is talked about in stopping power. In that case the 124 gn would be considered the better round.

Maybe maybe not, anyway just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
I loaded mine 115 gr. Just wondered. My AR barrel likes 69 gr. I’m in the process of switching out my 55 gr. Soon CA law will allow me to just sell it.

Reactions: aeroshots

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
What’s your preference for 9 mil? 115 gr or 124 gr? Why?
I view handguns as a close in firearm, if they have gotten that close, then I have failed. There are times I may fail to see a target. As far as grain, I do not concern myself, if it comes out of the end of the firearm propelled and hits the target it will make a hole, and holes in the right spot count. For 9 mm, I use both, depends on what I found. I also have my 45, if I want a bigger hole, or my shotguns, which my shotguns will likely be what I grab if a target is too close. I don't have to be accurate with a shotgun, depending on the load.
This is all based on targets in or near my property. When I ride, I carry my 380.

As far as blocking people, hiding your head, flippancy. LOL I don't block an individual because of their opinion, but when they come on a thread I started, and start yapping off with their views that have nothing to do with the intent of my thread, I do not have to listen to said citizen.
Most true new gun owners will get, or be trained on firearms.
I f you are putting criminals, or a punk kid/adult in the new gun owner group., well then.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I like Jeeps. Especially Rubicons. OP is a great guy. I'm honored he trusted me with a wonderful white German Shepherd. View attachment 77595 View attachment 77596
I still think of Spirit who went missing often. I try not to dwell as I get upset, like now. :) She looks like two of her brothers in that pic.
Shamrock, another brother is three dollar bills wide, he is a moose, her other brother Precious is tall like his pops. Mudbug, and Little Boy are the two which look like her in the pic.
I have been meaning to post about Little Boy, he was the tiniest pup when born, and her remained small for a long time, and all at the bottom of the food chain. He has gotten much bigger, and is even challenging his brothers for status in their pack.
For some reason, no one challenges Loki, my big male, but none of the pups bother Wolfus, Mama, and Grand Mother. She is getting older now, and most of your pack duties have been given to Loki.
It's funny how my pups are so sweet, and submissive to me, but they turn into a hunting pack in an instant.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
A wise man said, "He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known."
And with this, My thread should be closed, since it has deviated from its intent. In future for US Citizens if you wish to voice your opinion, voice it in your own thread.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
...And with this, My thread should be closed, since it has deviated from its intent. In future for US Citizens if you wish to voice your opinion, voice it in your own thread.
Closing your thread, It has wandered all over the place but again I'm grateful to everybody for keeping your content civil, not flaming someone for their opinion. It's okay to have different opinions - we are a free society (mostly but that's another topic :whistle: .)

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.