Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
If I’m at the range with a purpose, I shoot about 200 9 mil. In the early days I had about 100 9 mil around the house and would purchase more if I went to the range or camping.

Speaking of 223/556, it’s probably the same philosophy in the early days.

When I began reloading things changed. I’m a human vacuum cleaner for 9 and 223/556 brass whenever I find it left in the desert or go shooting with friends that don’t pick up their brass. I don’t let empty brass lay around. All is immediately processed. I would like to get rid of half of my loaded stock, but California law won’t let me sell it.

I suppose my minimum would be whatever filled my grab and go magazines plus 1000 for each of my 9 and 223.

Note - all 223/556 brass becomes 223 upon reloading, but I have a 223/556 AR.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I’m at the range with a purpose, I shoot about 200 9 mil. In the early days I had about 100 9 mil around the house and would purchase more if I went to the range or camping.

Speaking of 223/556, it’s probably the same philosophy in the early days.

When I began reloading things changed. I’m a human vacuum cleaner for 9 and 223/556 brass whenever I find it left in the desert or go shooting with friends that don’t pick up their brass. I don’t let empty brass lay around. All is immediately processed. I would like to get rid of half of my loaded stock, but California law won’t let me sell it.

I suppose my minimum would be whatever filled my grab and go magazines plus 1000 for each of my 9 and 223.

Note - all 223/556 brass becomes 223 upon reloading, but I have a 223/556 AR.
Yep, I have a third of a 20 mil can with 223/5.56 brass. I was going to start reloading, but after looking at the price of powder, primers, bullets, and time to reload, then looking at the price of ammo at a store I use, I'd only be saving a couple of cents. The quality might not be there, but all it needs to do is hit where I shoot.
What powder do you use for 5.56. I use IMR 4064, been using it since the early 80's, it has never failed me.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
I have a couple of buddies that reload various calibers and they have been complaining about the unavailability of primers for a long time and now it's about the price. If you find some online, best to jump on them.

I keep enough ammo on hand to where most of the California coastal citizens would think I'm another crazy Texas red neck who should be locked up. However I found out I'm lagging most of my friends both in number of firearms and ammo.

Guess I am a red neck since I spend so much time outdoors (a red neck with a Master's degree :giggle:.)

Trivia note for what it's worth: the forum software has "red neck" as a bleeped word. I consider it an honor to have a neck of color :p. Not sure if I can edit the bad words file..

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,
Compared to some of the SHTF world, I am lagging behind, for my needs I have enough, but more is always better, right? lol File charges on those discriminating against you for being a red neck. The alphabet generation would do the same for you. lol
To be honest, your far from being a red neck, I have a few around here, I tend to think of them as white trash. Red neck is a term which has changed meaning over the decades.
People around me don't know what to think about me. The only time they glimpse me is when I go out riding, or in the yard. I have been asked if I am a prepper, I say no, because I am not, having been in the military, and having to be ready to go, I always had my 72 hour bag packed, I've just stretched a bit further, plus I live in hurricane land. Some around me assume I was military. I don't know why. I don't think having all my dogs, and my fence mean I was military, or my antennas. Maybe it is the way I present myself. I tend to stay low key, and not associate with people around me. People don't need to know my business. John, I think you, and one other person know where I am, besides my mother.
I saw a lot of places were out of primers. Maybe I should go ahead and order some. They are quite pricey now. I probably should see what I have though.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I keep on hand:

1,500 - 2,000: 5.56/.223
800: 7.62/.308 (would have more, but finding quality bulk 7.62 is tough)
1,200: 9mm
700: .45 ACP

My round count fluctuates, depending how many times I go shooting during the month and if I time the ammo sales before they're sold out of the good stuff. But I try to keep my minimum numbers somewhere in the ballpark with what I listed above.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
..... having been in the military, and having to be ready to go, I always had my 72 hour bag packed, ....
All of my worldly possessions while serving were in the government issued duffel bag. I was on five different bases in my 4 year enlistment period.

My round count fluctuates, depending how many times I go shooting during the month and if I time the ammo sales before they're sold out of the good stuff. But I try to keep my minimum numbers somewhere in the ballpark with what I listed above.
The wife and I used to go shooting at least once a month and ran through a couple of hundred rounds each outing, so our count fluctuated quite a bit as well. I loaded up on .308 a long time ago, most are in factory sealed thick plastic sleeves.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided I have enough ammo for a localized war with the squirrel population. I would use my 43-year-old Benjamin Pump for small game, and I have at least 2K .22 cal pellets. I bought that Benjamin for 29 bucks back in the late 60s. I think I've gotten my monies worth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Enough that I shoot when and how much I want and buy when I find a good deal. I just disclose it nor keep a complete on hand inventory, but will say my UPS/FedEx folks know it when I made an ammo order.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
I've decided I have enough ammo for a localized war with the squirrel population.....
I recently bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .17 HMR for small varmints. Put a nice Vortex scope on it (I'm partial to Vortex and Trijicon) - the combo of the rifle, scope and the .17 HMR should be good out to 100 yards. The downside is the price of this rimfire ammo...

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in .17 HMR for small varmints. Put a nice Vortex scope on it (I'm partial to Vortex and Trijicon) - the combo of the rifle, scope and the .17 HMR should be good out to 100 yards. The downside is the price of this rimfire ammo...
For some reason, I do not have a varmint problem.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I have approximately a 3.5 x lifetime supply. Of everything. And I shoot a lot.

Last time I checked prices, just my rimfire ammo, powder, bullet and primer supplies might be the best investment I ever made. Way outperforming my 401K, lol! If, I were willing to sell. But I'm not...

I can shoot as much as I want, for the rest of my life, and never come close to exhausting supplies on hand.

Stuff could make good trade fodder someday though.

- DAA

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have approximately a 3.5 x lifetime supply. Of everything. And I shoot a lot.

Last time I checked prices, just my rimfire ammo, powder, bullet and primer supplies might be the best investment I ever made. Way outperforming my 401K, lol! If, I were willing to sell. But I'm not...

I can shoot as much as I want, for the rest of my life, and never come close to exhausting supplies on hand.

Stuff could make good trade fodder someday though.

- DAA
I hear ya. I always hear people talking about 22 LR, and it's gone as fast as it comes in. I guess I did the right thing years ago, not to mention the rest. I need to buy some more arrows. I may do that soon. I only have six shafts, maybe eight. All I really know, is there is stuff in the room I keep it. I have my whisky for barter, ammo goes nowhere, or anything else that may come back to haunt me.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
5,005 Posts
I recently got a Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-6x24
It is an amazing scope. Works exactly like a Red Dot on 1x so you get super easy and quick target acquisition.
It then can zoom in to make 50-100 yard shots feel like 10-25yards. I love it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts