Rubicon Owners Forum banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Passed my Technician's exam last night. Waiting anxiously for my call sign!

Now to start researching what equipment I want to put in my Jeep.

Congratulations to you both!

I am partial to a dual band rig with APRS and have an FTM400 for its large color display. The ICom 4100 with D-Star would be nice with its built-in repeater listing. Lots of choices.

Bill
W4WWB

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
10,781 Posts
Congrats!!! Your call sign should be available in the FCC database within a few days, as soon as it's issued, you can get on the air.

I like the Kenwood TM-V71 with the separation kit. I put the control head on top of the dash and the radio body in the passenger kick panel area. I have a post somewhere here I wrote for our club which covers antennas and radios - might help you decide.

If you live in an urban area with some active repeaters, a talkie would be useful. For the Jeep, do not depend on a talkie - please get a full-size radio. And.. I would avoid the cheapie Chinese talkies or full-size radios.

Like Bill said - lots of choices.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
The TM-71 is excellent. I have it as a base station, but prefer the FTM-400 for the big display and APRS position reporting.
IMG_4967.JPG
Can’t go wrong with any of the major players rigs, but as John points out, the inexpensive Chinese radios can be hard to program, especially on the fly.

Now get busy and upgrade and get on HF.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Thanks guys! Appreciate that you noticed it's significance! :)

I'm trying to figure out what the best in Jeep setup I could get for ~$500. I know there was a thread here that broke down everything.. going to try and dig it up!

221 - 227 of 227 Posts