Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK. So I finally had some time to tackle the vibration.

It's all coming from the rear end. When I pulled the front driveshaft it got better - either placebo or just how the rear driveshaft may have been shaking the transfer case amplifying the problem. unknown. I took my front shaft to a driveline shop and had them take a close look at it and the (very honest) shop said the front shaft was in great shape.

Today I yanked the rear DS and the Jeep drives smooth. The smoothest it's driven by far since the tummy tuck. So now I need to thoroughly inspect the rear DS, u-joints, and pinion angles again. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be ordering a rear DS.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rear driveshaft is good. I ran the pinion angle one degree lower than the T-case, I had it about 2-3 degrees too high.

This made very little difference. I think the slip shaft is overextended. I've had the DS extended years ago, but I don't know by how much or if it was even done when I requested it to be rebuilt. It's the only culprit I can think of.

I'll gladly take any other ideas.

·
Administrator
10,555 Posts
When I did my tummy tuck I bought a Woods double cardian (sp?) drive shaft even though I have an LJ, never had any abnormal vibrations.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
You’re on the right track with a cv rear drive shaft. Stock is good to about 4” with an LJ. With your lift and tummy tuck your Jeep thinks you are running 6” of lift.
I have the T Woods cv shaft, but JEReel or Adams work just as well.
FYI, you still may have some vibes even with a cv shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just ordered a new shaft from Tom Woods. Here’s to hoping it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Got the new shaft in. She drives smooth now. What a relief. I have my Jeep back!!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Outstanding! What's the other shafts in the pic? The little short one looks like a TJ shaft.
It is a TJ shaft. Can’t remember why I have it. The other is my lengthened LJ shaft. My garage is full of parts. I bet most of my household goods weight is in my garage!

Btw - heading back to your neck of the woods the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
PCS

21 - 33 of 33 Posts