Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How necessary are alloy axles when running 35’s and 488 gears? Would it help to put alloy outers on stock front shafts?

·
1,818 Posts
As I understand it, stronger components added, pass the breakage to the weaker components down the line. I guess the question is if you experience breakage, what is the cheapest more accessible place to make breakage more predictable.

I only have 33s and usually don’t overcome obstacles with power, but when I bent an axle ear trying to replace a u-joint, I upgraded. My whole drivetrain has been stock since 2004 except for my front axle.

Reactions: stinga

·
Registered
54 Posts
The front axle shaft ears are a known weak point on the TJ rubicons. I busted mine with 33s and went with chromoly shafts in front. I am on 35s now for several years and have not busted anything. Still running chromoly in front and stock rear shafts. if you are not overly aggressive offroad the rear will stand up but suggest the upgrade on front shafts.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I upgraded to Alloy CrMo outer/inner axles on the front when I also jumped up to 35's about ten years ago on my TJ.
I've run all sorts of California mountain trails in that time and I haven't had any issues, yet.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Registered
179 Posts
I upgraded front and rear shafts many years ago on my 04 TJR. Snapped a stock rear shaft on 33's and don't consider myself aggressive offroad.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,123 Posts
Really depends on what type of wheeling you do. Hard wheeling on rocks, I would say yes. running down muddy roads, probably not. Strengthening one component will cause something else to be the fusible link, but that new link is stronger than what you replaced so the whole system is stronger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts