Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cobra, Uniden, and Midland make radios with all controls and most electronics contained in the handset microphone - with only a small box to mount somewhere.

Looking for examples and ideas for installation. What have you done or seen?

Thx!
Vince.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Something to consider, Vince, is hearing the transmissions. Unless the unit allows an external speaker the all in mic units will have a small speaker usually positioned poorly when not in hand. My Jeep is pretty noisy and I would find the mic units hard to hear.

Another manufacture to consider is President. I have had luck with their compact Bill model. Lots of features in a small footprint. Mine is mounted overhead on the RockHard cage.

·
Registered
2010 JKU Rubicon
12 Posts
With the Midland MTX275 you can mount the box anywhere and use a cat5 extension cable to connect the box to the mic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, the speakers are terrible in the all-in-one units. I have the Cobra 75 and it allows for an external speaker; the box is mounted under the firewall side of the center console with an external speaker up on the rollbar. I also run a no name 2m/440cm that has a speaker mic and same issue (luckily it also allows for a external speaker and I use the same one).

The other option is to have the speaker mic mount up close to your head to be able to hear it better. In a Jeep it is impossible to hear on highway even up by my head.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the speakers are terrible in the all-in-one units. I have the Cobra 75 and it allows for an external speaker; the box is mounted under the firewall side of the center console with an external speaker up on the rollbar. I also run a no name 2m/440cm that has a speaker mic and same issue (luckily it also allows for a external speaker and I use the same one).

The other option is to have the speaker mic mount up close to your head to be able to hear it better. In a Jeep it is impossible to hear on highway even up by my head.
You have two radios to one speaker? Works ok?
Where did you get a Y cable (two Male to single female)? I'm only finding mic / headset splitters when I search.

Thx.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have two radios to one speaker? Works ok?
Where did you get a Y cable (two Male to single female)? I'm only finding mic / headset splitters when I search.

Thx.
Only 1 is plugged in at time. I got a couple 2 wire connectors and spliced a female side at the speaker and then spliced a male on each wire to the radios. Whichever 1 I am using I just connect it to speaker.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Only 1 is plugged in at time. I got a couple 2 wire connectors and spliced a female side at the speaker and then spliced a male on each wire to the radios. Whichever 1 I am using I just connect it to speaker.
A Double Pole Double Throw toggle switch would make a simple selector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts