Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on the type of alarm system to install in a Rubicon?

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I looked a few but gave up in confussion.....Lots of different options but all the places I talked to seemed very high pressure sales tactics and could not answer my basic questions.....I look forward to hearing the replies on this topic.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
scooter said:
Any suggestions on the type of alarm system to install in a Rubicon?

Thanks
I would suggest a Hornet with a Perimeter sensor... This will allow you to protect the inside of the JP while the doors and top is off. Make sure that the ignition kill is done also.
The perimeter sensor has 2 adjustments on it and this will allow you to set so that the inner sensor can protect right to the inside of the door and you can set the exterior sensor to protect the back and the front of the JP so that things like the winch and spare are protected... make sure that the hood pin is also installed so that they can open and disconnect the siren.
Even with the exterior sensor the under side of the jeep and engine compartment is protected.

You don't have to go with the Hornet but make sure that you get the microwave protection. I just know that the Hornet or even the Alpine(which can be pricey) have a decent sensor..

These are two systems that I have used to protect over $30k in stereo equipment and the custom vehicles that they were in.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
DONT GET CODE ALARM

I had an Code alarm in my old jeep...it was a pain in the butt.....It had a motion detector inside of it and a shock detector too....I had it for a few years and both remotes died then the alarm shorted. After I traeded in that YJ I found out that the jeep had caught on fire..probably b/c of the code alarm wiring. When it did work the alarm would go off on the slightest motion....My suggestion for an alarm for a jeep would be to just install a kill switch, invest in some lockable storage and removeable face stero or get "The club"...and the obvious...dont leave expensive stuff in your jeep with no hard top on....lol my .02.
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: DONT GET CODE ALARM

petesjeeprubi said:
I had an Code alarm in my old jeep...it was a pain in the butt.....It had a motion detector inside of it and a shock detector too....I had it for a few years and both remotes died then the alarm shorted. After I traeded in that YJ I found out that the jeep had caught on fire..probably b/c of the code alarm wiring. When it did work the alarm would go off on the slightest motion....My suggestion for an alarm for a jeep would be to just install a kill switch, invest in some lockable storage and removeable face stero or get "The club"...and the obvious...dont leave expensive stuff in your jeep with no hard top on....lol my .02.
Pete
This is why you need to buy a quality named alarm. I don't know much about Code alarm but I do know alot about DEI electronics which make the Hornet and they are a good company. I was able to tune my microwave sensor and it never false alarmed. The only time I thought it did false alarm it turned out to be a Bird sitting on the center console. :lol:

I agree with the kill switch that should be hooked up to the fuel pump. This is a very good system but you still have to remember to lock the steering wheel so that you can't push the JP away.

This is purley my opinion but I would not trust the "Club" on anything.. It was a great system when it came out but it is just to easy to get off.

Like Pete said the simplist way to stay away from theft is don't leave anything in the JP.

The bottom line is " If they want your JP they will take it...No matter what"

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
True....they will take it..so just beat the hell out of it on the trail, put lots of stickers on it... that way nobody wants it...haha..
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am not really sure how it works in the US... But up hear in the great white north I am very confident that no one is going to steal a JP on 33's and 4+ inches of lift... Way to easy to find.......Besides it is not in the best interest to try and part out a modified JP.. Who is going to buy the parts... The best friend of the person you just stole it from. :wink:

Like Pete said.. Just make it look less appealing..LOL

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had an Alpine with the perimiter sensor in my last Jeep. My only complaint was the siren. It was nowhere near loud enough. You could be 4-5 cars away from it in a parking lot and not hear it. Also, the arm/disarm chirp sounded stupid. However, I rarely ever got a false alarm and it was really easy to install. I never bothered with the starter kill. Does anyone know if the little transmitter in the key actually works? Does it stop people from rippin' off my Jeep or is it just a gimmick and any kid with internet access can defeat it?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
I had an Alpine with the perimiter sensor in my last Jeep. My only complaint was the siren. It was nowhere near loud enough. You could be 4-5 cars away from it in a parking lot and not hear it. Also, the arm/disarm chirp sounded stupid. However, I rarely ever got a false alarm and it was really easy to install. I never bothered with the starter kill. Does anyone know if the little transmitter in the key actually works? Does it stop people from rippin' off my Jeep or is it just a gimmick and any kid with internet access can defeat it?
Sentry key does work but the only problem is that the engine runs long enough to get it away from where you parked it and on a trailer before the engine stops... I would be interested to see how long the engine will run with out it...I will have to get a plain key cut for the name of science. 8)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i have a system called LO-JACK
it has a hidden transmitter and they say they can find anywhere with thier sat. coverage.. now if its stolen and i dont get it back in 30 days they pay me a penalty of 2,500.00

kinda overkill.... however i live in Las Vegas lots of cars stolen from here due to the number of visitors from out of state.

http://www.lojack.com

:wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with LILDJP. I have a Python system made by DEI. It is pretty basic with door sensors and engine kill. The only thing I added was a proximity sensor so reaching into the tub with the doors and windows off sets off a warning then an alarm. I am happy with the system and it seems to serve its purpose. I know it won't deter a serious attempt to steal things but at least it protects me from the casual spur of the moment theft. My .02

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
LOJACK is great but it dosnt keep your stero from getting stolen or the stuff you leave lying around inside your jeep..but for total security of the jeep its the best ..plus insurance will give you a break if u have it...that is if your pocket book isnt broken already by how much it costs..lol
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, but I hate alarms. I'm too stupid to remember to hit the remote key sometimes on the WJ and my SHO, and all I wind up doing is disturbing the neighbors. We have been lucky over the years in our neighbor hood (knock on wood vigorously) and have not had problems with car thieves.

I do like the idea of mac's Lojack though. It will prevent that big loss. Otherwise, I keep the hardtop on and keep it locked.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
LOJACK is great but it dosnt keep your stero from getting stolen or the stuff you leave lying around inside your jeep..but for total security of the jeep its the best ..plus insurance will give you a break if u have it...that is if your pocket book isnt broken already by how much it costs..lol
Pete
ther is a siren....and door switches... and motion sensor
those were installed by the dealer... i did not want the system but it was on the Rubi... viper is the name on the key fob...
i do forget to shut the dang thing off.... neighbors cant be pissed as the Harley makes more noise..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recipe for Thief-B-Gone:

Silent alarm with Paging Feature, and a shotgun. :snipersmile:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello to all, I have been reading from this message board and it has been quite helpful, thank you.

I have the Viper security system installed, but I want more protection. I mainly want to protect the vehicle from being stolen, and I know the alarm is not going to stop a Pro. Somone mentioned putting a kill switch on the fuel pump. Do you splice a switch in at the fuse or near the pump? If anyone who has done this could share their methods of doing this, that would be great.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been installing alarms for about 6 years now (more of a hobby than anything else. I would recommend ungo by Clarion. I've had alot of luck with these (very vibration proof) Use an alarm with an iterior motion sensor and a tilt sensor then don' install the shock sensor (eliminates false trippings by cats, imports with coffee can exhausts, etc. Also, if you put in doorlock actuators you will never lock your keys in the jeep, you just push the remote button to lock the doors. :)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
synapuscapus said:
Hello to all, I have been reading from this message board and it has been quite helpful, thank you.

I have the Viper security system installed, but I want more protection. I mainly want to protect the vehicle from being stolen, and I know the alarm is not going to stop a Pro. Somone mentioned putting a kill switch on the fuel pump. Do you splice a switch in at the fuse or near the pump? If anyone who has done this could share their methods of doing this, that would be great.
my JP has the same viper system....and i know there is a cutoff
ignition installed when the alarm is activated.
if alarm is armed you cannot start the veh.

take it to a shop have them check the install.
mine was put on by the dealer along with LOJACK...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got a avital with a perimeter sensor. very nice and sensitive. if the tops down and alarm is activated. just stand by and stick your arm pass the door i dare you. i had to get mine because some*^$$%^ stole my windows (by solomons island maryland, so if your out there i hope the jeep gods give you what you deserve a chevy or ford you worthless %&$##$%^%^&%^*%$$#@# sorry got lost in an emotion). if you fart by my rubi you piss the alarm off. also you can hook a remote stater up to it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FOR THOSE THAT ARE THINKING OF A PERIMETER ALARM READ ON -

TAKE IT FROM A GUY THAT RIDES A HARLEY (ME) WITH LOAD PIPES, WE LOVE DRIVING BY A PARKED CAR AND HAVING THE PERIMETER ALARM GO OFF.

I KNOW FOR YOU GUYS, IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH I AM AN ASS, WELL, ITS FUN!!!!

I DONT EVEN HAVE TO TRY SOMETIMES, I JUST RIDE BY AND NEXT THING.... WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP.

HELL PEOPLE DONT EVEN LOOK AT A CAR WHEN AN ALARM GOES OFF ANYMORE. I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING A NRA STICKER, A MALE 165LB BULLMASTIFF TO WAIT IN YOUR JEEP WHILE YOU ARE GONE, AND A KILL SWITCH.

DREW
CAPT - USMC

1 - 20 of 28 Posts