Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I know its been done already. I know the quality of Jerry's presentation...and I'm not even going to try to go there. This is a fairly extensive undertaking and I'm gonna do it all myself (as Jerry did). There may be a few differences in installation based on the lift type and air type...so I'm just gonna post pics along the way. I'll come back to this post and update it with new pics as I progress. Due to limited free time, the progress is going to be slow though.

With that, I'll post a few pics of the air install. It is a kilby system and as I have said before, the kilby stuff is good. I have the dual battery tray and now the Kilby air system (with the AiRock components). Everything goes right in place without too much fuss. The AiRock connectors and hose is kinda cool too. It is a quick capture type of system that I believe has some sort of certification...anyway it seems very good. Cut a square end to the plastic like tubing, insert into fitting and tug back....its in. It can be removed as well if need be.

What was very helpful was to remove the airbox to install the York...gives you lots of space to work.

I manufactured a bracket for manifold, regulator, filter and waste purge (the last part I added) so that everything will fit into the space that looks like a second battery location. 1. is the filter 2. is the manifold 3. is where the pressure regulator fits into its bracket. The waste manifold is my addition and I'll report back once I get everything working. The idea is that upon shut down a gate opens and all the collected oil in the filter will be shot back into the York (usually this is done manually...mine should be automatic). Part number 4919K13 http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/0837.html

Don't forget....4 more days until your AiRock savings run out! :)

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Ned:

Outstanding. Air Rubi II.

I like your approach to the condensate drain valve. For those of you who followed the Air Rubi buildup, Ned has used the area where I mounted the AiROCK manifold for his OBA manifold. In the first 2 pics, the AiROCK manifold is visible on the left where the cruise control servo would mount, and where I installed my ARB compressor in my original configuration.

Good luck Ned. Be patient. It all fits, believe me.

Jerry

PS When you're done, we'll both order windshield stickers that say "I made this"

G

·
0 Posts
Ned, just to let you know I am officially Jealous. I now look forward to more Pictures.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Next spring is going to be fun.......AiRUBI III on the way..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
LILRDJP said:
Since Sean is AiRUBI III do I get to be AiRUBI IV :?:

I'll be watching the progress, this should be easy after all the pic's and info you guys post, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
jeppi said:
LILRDJP said:
Since Sean is AiRUBI III do I get to be AiRUBI IV :?:

I'll be watching the progress, this should be easy after all the pic's and info you guys post, thanks.
Well now, we'll have to have to consider all this nomenclature carefully.

First, it's Air Rubi. 2 words. We must be clear here. :D

Second, I think Sean will have to be CanadAir Rubi. Anyone who has flown in a Canadair regional jet knows what I'm talking about.

And there is no truth to the rumor that Air Rubi is becoming Air Driveway Queen, even after a bad pressure switch on my OBA screwed up my wheelin' plans for the weekend.

So that makes jeepi Air Rubi III if I did the math right.

jeepi, I don't know about easy, but it certainly will be easier with Ned's writeup along with mine.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
JerryC said:
Well now, we'll have to have to consider all this nomenclature carefully.

First, it's Air Rubi. 2 words...

jeepi, I don't know about easy, but it certainly will be easier with Ned's writeup along with mine.
ok "Air Rubi" and "easier"

I am just trying to be positive and determined not to use words like hard, difficult, big job, lots of down time and others.

Jon

G

·
0 Posts
I'm starting to worry that this is going to turn into way to many sequels.

Air Rubi - In the beginning
Air Rubi II- Attack of the Air
Air Rubi III - Return of the Air
Air Rubi IV- The Next Air Generation
Air Rubi V - Breath of Fresh Air
Air Rubi VI - The Air Freshner

Ahhh, but lest us not forget the Long Arm Saga also.
LA Rubi - Sway of the Dark Side
LA Rubi II - The Elves go large
LA Rubi III - The big Mac attack
LA Rubi IV - To Long Arm or Not (broadway play version)
LA Rubi V - Fall to the Dark Side
LA Rubi VI - The tale of Two Arms

Ahhh, but it just couldn't be complete with out a Joint movie.
LaAiRubi - Jerry and Elff do Paragon

Of course we will need to rerelease all of these with the special collectors edition, directors cut, wide screen, digitally remastered with symphonic sound, etc......

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
jeppi said:
ok "Air Rubi" and "easier"

I am just trying to be positive and determined not to use words like hard, difficult, big job, lots of down time and others.

Jon
Jon:

You're right. Hard and difficult aren't part of the AiROCK installation. A little involved maybe, but you shouldn't have a problem installing it. The AiROCK kit is designed for incompetent amateurs like me. You'll have no problems.

IMO, the OBA system and the LA kit are actually tougher to install. Get your OBA working, and working right, before you start the suspension work. Don't screw around. Get a York with a decent size tank and be done with it. 4 1/2 months after I started my install I'm still screwing around with my OBA. But it will be finally the way I want it next week.

The LA kit install is just plain grunt work. With a new Jeep, it wonn't be so bad, but they'll still be times when you say to yourself "I shoulda bought a Harley instaed of this damn Jeep".

But when you're done, out on the trail, and it goes everywhere you've got the balls to try, it's nice to remember "I made this."

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
)

Ahhh, but it just couldn't be complete with out a Joint movie.
LaAiRubi - Jerry and Elff do Paragon

Ron
Ron:

We were supposed to start filming this weekend, but yours truly found he had an issue with his OBA system. Arrrrrrrgh.

So give us a few weeks until the Dazed and Confused Jeep Jamboree (an invitation only event) and we'll see what we can come up with. The only thing I can promise is no digital hocus pocus. I don't have any digital doctoring talent. Just the gory facts. :D

Jerry

·
Registered
343 Posts
JerryC said:
they'll still be times when you say to yourself "I shoulda bought a Harley instaed of this damn Jeep".
Jerry
:atabove:

I almost did and sometimes wish I had. Remember the movie "The Money Pit"?

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
"I shoulda bought a Harley instaed of this damn Jeep".

Jerry
hey!!!!! i resemble your remark!
:D
have both...and am not sure how i pulled it off..now if i could
swing that Supercharger....Air Rock...
i`d be set.
oh yea and 35`s...
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
C'mon Ned! Ditch those coil springs! :D