Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally managed to get Air Rubi offroad last weekend at Paragon. We ran a number of different moderate to moderately difficult trails which really exercised the suspension. I thought I’d have time to fool around with the suspension and really get to know it, but we were with a group of 9 other Jeeps, so I couldn’t take much time to do that.

Observations
The AiROCK worked flawlessly. I left it at its highway ride height of about 4 inches, and wheeled the hell out of it. It was totally transparent to me, and it felt great. I am running JKS adjustable front LCAs and rear UCAs. I can’t compare it to a conventionally sprung long armed Jeep because I have never owned one, but it just sucked up big rocks. There was none of that feeling that the front control arms were trying to push back and resist as you ran up a steep rock. The stability of the Jeep is amazing. Virtually no swaying as I came off rock steps at an angle. A very solid feeling which let me concentrate on my line, and not on the suspension.

I did manipulate the suspension twice. Once I got high centered on the stock transfer case skid, so I pushed the All Up button and I was out of there. The second time I rocked it all the way over to the right to avoid a tree on the left. No pain, no strain, no body damage.

Everything held together, which is really good, since I wouldn’t have had anyone to blame but myself. I had some snapping and popping noises coming from the front end which I’ll have to investigate. These are not AiROCK related. I do not hear these noises on the highway. The first suspect is the front trackbar. It probably needs to be tightened down, although I torqued it to factory specs. Then I’ll check the rest of the steering and suspension pieces. This is not a major concern, but I’ll be sure to do it next weekend.

Issues
In the photos of my Rubi in the Trip Reports Forum you may notice that I don’t seem to be getting quite the same flex out of the rear end as I get out of the front end. You’ll notice the rear tires do not stuff into the flares as you would expect them to. I do have RE rear sway bar link extenders installed. This condition may be due to one of two causes:

1. Since I rotated the rear pinion, I have a slight interference between the JKS adjustable rear trackbar and the factory gas tank skid.
2. I installed Tera rear shock relocators which reduce the static length of the Bilsteins by approximately 1 inch.

The first issue is going to be dealt with by replacing the stock skid with a Kilby. The Kilby has additional clearance for the rear trackbar. I’ll remove the shock relocators and see if that helps. I’ll actually try that first, since it won’t cost any money and it’s easier to remove one end of 2 shocks than it is to remove and replace the gas tank and skid.

Conclusions
1. After my first time offroad with the AiROCK I am pleased with my investment. The system exceeded my expectations in the way it handled some difficult obstacles.
2. An AiROCK can be successfully installed by a shade tree mechanic on weekends.
3. Installing the York compressor will result in a quieter Jeep. My little ARB compressor buzzing away now and then annoyed the hell out of me.
4. I think the 4 inch kit could easily accommodate 35 inch tires. But that would make overdrive in the automatic totally useless and require regearing. Maybe I’ll consider that option when its time to replace the 33s.

Additional Thoughts
I have said I’d probably install long arms in the future. Now I’m not so sure. I may just replace my remaining control arms with JKS adjustables and go for one of the high clearance skids that are beginning to become available. That would certainly give me a lot of free space under the Jeep to fill in with rocks.

I put almost 400 highway miles on the Jeep on the trip. I think I have a few vibes at speed that I didn’t notice earlier. That will have to be addressed. Again, not an AiROCK issue - that’s a lifted Jeep issue.

As always, I have more mods I’d like to install. But for now, I have a suspension capable of handling most any trail or obstacle I would be comfortable driving.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Jerry

After seeing your jeep in action, I would say the Long arm isnt necessary.
You flexed like a madman and went over everything you attempted.
Save yourself the money for 35s or a supercharger

:)

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Great write-up and glad to hear it worked so well. I think if you upgrade the rest of your CA's to adjustable and get your wheelbase back to original, it will perform even better when climbing over rocks.
Though from what you have posted - it is awsome anyway!!! :D

Ken

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Jerry....Good write up...

Try disconecting the rear sway bar and flexing..You will see a great improvement. Also you don't have to worry about loosing a spring.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
ALot of people say that having the rear disconnected is really freaky offroad, but I know a couple of people who are doing it without complaints.

How bad is the body roll with both ends disconnected?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Must Resist Urge to Upgrade now
Must wait until new gears
Currie HD steering
Superior Chromoly axles are installed.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
elff said:
ALot of people say that having the rear disconnected is really freaky offroad, but I know a couple of people who are doing it without complaints.

How bad is the body roll with both ends disconnected?
I haven't had any problems doing it. I don't do it often as with coil springs and long shocks the spring may pop out. With the Airock that won't be a problem. The body roll is not different in my opinion. I am not going fast enough to find out. For those with coils you could also get some TK sliders. They work well and give you about 20% more flex without the worries of loosing a spring.

Sean

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
elff said:
Must Resist Urge to Upgrade now
Must wait until new gears
Currie HD steering
Superior Chromoly axles are installed.

I have offically put AiRock in my plans for Spring 2005.....Here we go again.. :D

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ned said:
Okay, my call sign my change to AiRubi II.

Details to come.

(where the HELL is that UPS guy anyway?) :D
Ned:

You have now gone completely over to the Dark Side. Welcome.

LILRDJP said:
I have offically put AiRock in my plans for Spring 2005.....Here we go again.. :D
Sean:

We are preparing your regeneration chamber. Welcome to the collective. Remember, resistance is futile.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Luckily for me Capt. Janeway has taken my checkbook and credit cards away from me after the most recent Suspension upgrade. Heck I can't even get tires now. aarrgghh.. Great write up Jerry, glad it performs well.

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts