Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the part number here is for turning both bags off, factory kit! 5016046AB ,this kit may be hard to get!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think you have to fill out a truck load of paperwork to get that kit.
I've seen these before and they are for people who are too short and have to sit too close to the steering wheel if the airbag deploys. We installed one for a lady with a Cherokee and when she drove away she looked like she was sitting "ON" the steering wheel. She also wanted us to install gas and brake pedal extensions(blocks of wood fastened to the pedals!!) We wouldn't do that for her.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
air bag switch

hi guys,
i am new to the board as a writer, but have been reading for a while. it is my understanding that this switch(5016046ab) will not work because dcx has change the software in2003 on the airbag control module from skim based to shrim based. i am not sure if this makes any sense. if anyone knows what this means please reply, or if anyone knows how to make the switch work correctly let me/us know. thank s guys

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know a skim from a shrim, but if you ask your parts guy to look up an air bag switch for a 2003 Rubi you will find a kit that lets you turn both bags off. I can't confirm the part number.
If you look up a 2003 SE you will find both the OEM switch for just the passenger bag and the full kit.
I installed the switch from the SE. There's another thread for that.

A switch from an older TJ will NOT work as designed on the 2003.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the parts dept and i looked up the switch on star parts as well as dealerconnect techline and found the part 3 5016046aa that has superceded to 5016046ab, we then ordered it. upon inspection the instructions indicate that the kit is for a 2001 tj. we called dcx tech hotline and were informed that this is the only kit available for tj's, but it will not work on 2003 models. there currently is no kit available for the 2003 model. hotline did tell me that this kit could be made to work on a 2003 but would not tell me how. so this is the current issue at hand, how to make this kit work. i am looking for some guidance since i am nmot an electrical engineer or even close.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dr and ps airbag on/off switch

Well it has been a while since I last wrote but I finally have found time to play with this thing. I compared wiring diagrams from the 2001 to the 2003 models and the diagram for the switch itself. I found that the only difference is that the female connector from the switch wire harness that plugs into the male connector from the vehicle wire harness are identical except that the switch connector has 2 ground wires and the vehicle connector has 1. I spliced the 2 grounds together in the harness side connector, plugged it in per the instructions , then reconfigured the module with the DRBIII. and IT WORKS!!!!!

MY DEALERSHIP CAN ORDER THE PART IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED!

The part #5016046ab and it runs about $178.00

Kyger Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge @ (513)523-6343 and ask for
Steve or Jeff in parts.

The whole install took me about an hour from opening the box to finishing the module reconfigure with the DRBIII.

please write if you have any questions. This is a very easy upgrade, and very nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts