Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you are aware that I ordered a 4 inch Off Road Only AiROCK suspension system for my Rubicon. Well, it arrived today in 3 tightly packed boxes. :D

So here's the plan:

Install the onboard air system. I'm using an ARB compressor and Kilby air tank. This compressor will be dedicated to the AiROCK system. I have a 10 lb. Powertank CO2 system for airing up and running air tools.

I'll install the major components and wiring harness next. For those of you not familiar with these items, Daless2 on JU has an exhaustive writeup on it here:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300296&highlight=Air+Springs
The last 2 pages deal with the Gen 2 AiROCK system which is what I have. Frank also has a brilliant discussion of Center of Gravity management in this thread. That's well worth reading even if you're not interested in the AiROCK.

Then it will be on to ripping out the stock springs, shocks, front lower and rear upper control arms, and both trackbars. They'll get replaced by the air springs and Bilstein shocks that come with the kit, along with JKS adjustable control arms and trackbars. After that I'll be able to connect all the air lines and test the system.

Last but not least, I'll measure and order a Tom woods CV DS and install that.

Wish me luck. I'm going to try to do this on my own. And yes 4x4mac, I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pics.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
ha ha ha.......
got have pics..... Jerry.
my R.E. long arm has not come to vegas yet...... still waiting.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AiROCK Progress... with pics

Here's some progress pics on my AiROCK suspension install. Problem with an AiROCK is all the preliminary stuff you have to do before you start ripping into the suspension. :roll:

1. ARB compressor on the inside fender and AiROCK Control Unit mounted on the ABS tray. In this shot the compressor wiring is connected, but the air line to the tank is not installed. Note the uncut black spot ties. Oh well.

2. Regulator mounted on the firewall. It was not easy finding a spot for this. The throttle cable sneaks between the regulator body and the fittings and check valve on the right side.

3. Here's another view of the ARB compressor.

4. Here's the ACU on the ABS tray. Damn spot ties!

5. I mounted the ARB on-off switch where the air bag defeat switch should be if we still had it.

6. And for those who were asking about a TBT sport cage install - here's a view of mine. Padding fabricated by the bride.

Any questions, fire away.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
WOW!!!!!!
jerry.... so far so good!
im impressed and will now slow downn bugging ya.... you actually did do some install stuff.:wink:
one Q!

i cant sew....and my mrs. cant either...
will your mrs. be selling her design?
looks very professional.

mac

·
Registered
740 Posts
JerryC said:
And yes 4x4mac, I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pics.

Jerry

Excuuuuuuse ME! I want pics too! :D

I've been seriously considering the airrock as well. I'll be very interested to hear about daily ride quality. I'll also be interested to hear about how it affects articulation. Finally, I'd like to know about how "on top of things" you need to be to make use of the system....ie are you constantly adjusting pressure here and there out on the trail or do you just set it (more or less) and go.

I was thinking about the RE 4.5 with the airrock and 35's....then I could just lower the Jeep to park it in the garage! :)

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4x4mac said:
WOW!!!!!!
jerry.... so far so good!
i cant sew....and my mrs. cant either...
will your mrs. be selling her design?
looks very professional.

mac
Like I said, you'll have to sweet talk her into building more. :D

Ned said:
I was thinking about the RE 4.5 with the airrock and 35's....then I could just lower the Jeep to park it in the garage!
I'm looking to a 4.5 LA kit in the future also Ned. But I think I'll be sticking with the 33's. They're enough for me right now. I have a low garage, so.......

I'll let you know how it is on the trail. I'm hoping I can set it and forget it unless I get to a real high pucker obstacle. Then I can start playing with adjusting pitch and roll. Check that link on my first post to Daless2's writeup on JU. He swears by the AiROCK, and claims he doesn't see a need for a LA kit after it's installed. I don't know. I just think long arms are a better solution.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Looking Good!!

Time is ticking for the
Fork Lift Festival at Paragon
on April 26th
[Like that new name? It is in honor of the Preferred Canadian RTI device :) ]

I hope 2 weeks is enough. From the looks of it, that might be tight unless you work like the Devil this coming weekend.

[Did I just use the word Devil when talking about Easter weekend?????]

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Elff..........You are one crazy nut..........I hope you are bringing the forklift this trip cause driving a forklift 400miles will be to damn hard on my back and I don't have room for a spare....LOL....

Can't wait to meet you guys and definately want to see that suspension....

Cheers

T minus 12 days........... :)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Well....................................
I am hoping I can show you the suspension on the 26th. I ran into a slight problem which is requiring the replacement of my Axlehousing and control arms

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... did=377204

My insurance is going to be taking care of everything, and I should be back up and running by the 26th, but the front lower right control arm might be backordered. If so, I will be a passenger in JerryC's rig

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
elff said:
Well....................................
I am hoping I can show you the suspension on the 26th. I ran into a slight problem which is requiring the replacement of my Axlehousing and control arms

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... did=377204

My insurance is going to be taking care of everything, and I should be back up and running by the 26th, but the front lower right control arm might be backordered. If so, I will be a passenger in JerryC's rig
Hey elff! LILRDJP is talking about the AiROCK! EVerybody knows what an RE LA kit looks like! :lol:

You're right. A lot of work left. Cough, cough. I may have to take a day or two off later this week. I feel a case of the blue flu coming on. :wink:

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Ned said:
JerryC said:
And yes 4x4mac, I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pics.

Jerry

Excuuuuuuse ME! I want pics too! :D

I've been seriously considering the airrock as well. I'll be very interested to hear about daily ride quality. I'll also be interested to hear about how it affects articulation. Finally, I'd like to know about how "on top of things" you need to be to make use of the system....ie are you constantly adjusting pressure here and there out on the trail or do you just set it (more or less) and go.

I was thinking about the RE 4.5 with the airrock and 35's....then I could just lower the Jeep to park it in the garage! :)
thanks Ned for asking for pics...
SEEEEEEEEEE JERRY..
im not the olny one who wants pics.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
elff said:
O Noooo
The picture hounds have been released
More pics! More pics! :shocked!: It might as well be the Spanish Inquisition. :eek:nfire:

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
elff said:
O Noooo
The picture hounds have been released
More pics! More pics! :shocked!: It might as well be the Spanish Inquisition. :eek:nfire:

Jerry
IDEA!!!!!!
get on the phone...call R.E. and DEMAND they send me my long arm lit..
that way i will have something to post pics about..

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New pics for the Grand Inquisitors

OK mac and Ned, here's the latest (with pics). elff, you can look too.

Took the day off today. It was almost 80 degrees. Finished wiring the power for the CB, grounded the CB antenna mount (no more 4:1 SWR), got the PowerTank filled, mounted the Hi-Lift jack, finished wiring the ARB compressor (it works, the switch lights up blue when it's running and it has a little green light that illuminates when the dash lights are on). I also sanded my MORE front bumper and Kilby prototype steering skid so I can bring them to the paint shop at work tomorrow. Of course I worked on the AiROCK. Got the harness installed, and installed the ACU and controller.

I also found out that my jack stands are not going to hack it. They're too short, and too weak. One started to twist. Not good. I have a pair of 30 inch tall 12 ton stands coming from Harbor Freight. I'm not too excited about working on axles and springs without those new jack stands.

OK, here's the update on the AiROCK:

1. I had to reorient the ACU. I couldn't plug in the bigass connector in the original position, so I turned the whole thing 90 degrees. Note in the pic the connector is plugged in - the air fittings are taped up to keep crap out of the unit. The 90 degree fittings are swivels, so pay no attention to their orientation in this view.

2. Here's a view of part of the harness you get with the AiROCK. There are 3 connectors sitting on top of the brake servo that are reserved for future system enhancements. One of these is going to be automatic CofG management. I'd like to know how that's going to work! The black and red wires below the braided harnesses are 12 vdc power to my CB.

3. I just had to take this picture. Engineers would call this the man machine interface device. Off Road Only calls it the controller. I haven't figured out what to call it.

4. Here's another shot I had to take. I think it's self explanatory.

Later,
Jerry

·
Registered
740 Posts
:D

Looking excellent so far!

I'm just starting to figure out myself that the jeep has a little less room for mods than I originally thought.

I'm trying to shoe horn in three coolers: fan driven engine oil cooler, fan driven auto tranny cooler and a non-driven power steering cooler...all within the confines of the ARB bumper....we'll see! :lolbonk:

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Re: New pics for the Grand Inquisitors

JerryC said:
OK mac and Ned, here's the latest (with pics). elff, you can look too.

Took the day off today. It was almost 80 degrees. Finished wiring the power for the CB, grounded the CB antenna mount (no more 4:1 SWR), got the PowerTank filled, mounted the Hi-Lift jack, finished wiring the ARB compressor (it works, the switch lights up blue when it's running and it has a little green light that illuminates when the dash lights are on). I also sanded my MORE front bumper and Kilby prototype steering skid so I can bring them to the paint shop at work tomorrow. Of course I worked on the AiROCK. Got the harness installed, and installed the ACU and controller.

I also found out that my jack stands are not going to hack it. They're too short, and too weak. One started to twist. Not good. I have a pair of 30 inch tall 12 ton stands coming from Harbor Freight. I'm not too excited about working on axles and springs without those new jack stands.

OK, here's the update on the AiROCK:

1. I had to reorient the ACU. I couldn't plug in the bigass connector in the original position, so I turned the whole thing 90 degrees. Note in the pic the connector is plugged in - the air fittings are taped up to keep crap out of the unit. The 90 degree fittings are swivels, so pay no attention to their orientation in this view.

2. Here's a view of part of the harness you get with the AiROCK. There are 3 connectors sitting on top of the brake servo that are reserved for future system enhancements. One of these is going to be automatic CofG management. I'd like to know how that's going to work! The black and red wires below the braided harnesses are 12 vdc power to my CB.

3. I just had to take this picture. Engineers would call this the man machine interface device. Off Road Only calls it the controller. I haven't figured out what to call it.

4. Here's another shot I had to take. I think it's self explanatory.

Later,
Jerry
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT!
love the pics...and commentary is very well done.
your right jerry....that lic plate says it all!

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A couple of folks have asked for updates on the install, so here's today's events. As always, I didn't finish everything I wanted to, but there is a learning curve on these things. I'll be all set to do a great job on someone else's if they ever need help.

I finished up the onboard air. The good news is it works. The bad news is it leaks. I drop from ~80 psi to 0 psi in about an hour. I had a couple of leaks at fittings which I fixed, but I still have to troubleshoot the rest of the system. You know I was thinking I should have stayed with my original idea of powering the AiROCK from my onboard CO2. Much simpler, and far fewer connections.

Here's the front of the tank. As you can see, the tank is under the rear floor on the driver's side. I had a drain valve where the lower plug is, but it was leaking, so I put a plug in. I'll have to provide a low point drain for the system with another valve.

Here's the air tank viewed from the rear of the Jeep:

The caption for this shot is "WTF am I doing to this $27,000 Jeep?" That's the bride's WJ in the background with real MT/Rs on it.

Besides diddling around with the onboard air, I actually managed to get the following done:

1. Finished dressing the wiring harness.
2. Pulled the left rear spring and shock.
3. Installed the left rear air spring.
4. Installed my RE extended rear swaybar links.
5. Installed the bracket for the JKS adjustable rear swaybar and half installed the bar. This swaybar and bracket combo is over $200. They give you a Johnny Joint at the axle end, but you're supposed to pop out the stock bushing and reuse it at the frame end. This is ********! They can't supply a new bushing at that price? Obviously I couldn't get the stock bushing out. Right now the bar is installed, but there will be no driving it until I get a new bushing or manage to extract an old one from the stock bar.

Tomorrow I have high hopes of actually finishing the install. We'll see.

Jerry

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I get a lot out of reading detailed installs. Typically, I'd say..."where would I begin?" but after following along I'm thinking that I can do that too! :)

Tomorrow, I'm swapping out a NEMA10-30 30 amp outlet to a 50 amp so I can plug in my plasma cutter (rented for the day) and hack up my ARB....talk about yikes! But, I can't wait.

On a side note, if there are any electrically inclined people reading this...please help me out a bit. The panal is 3 phase but the plug is 3 prong. I've got my 2 hots, red and black, a neutral and a ground off the panal. Question is, who gets left out? My white? Does my ground act as the ground/neutral? I don't wanna die! :)

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll make this brief. The rear install is complete. I actually inflated the air springs back there. Most everything I did today took 3 times as long as I thought it would. Next step is to retorque everything (and replace the bushing in the JKS trackbar) and it will be on to the front end.

This is taking forever and a day....

Jerry

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.