Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for a good long time on this go around. The air bag light and chime will come on and switch off almost randomly. The first episode of this started after cleaning out the floor boards and using a water hose on low without a nozzle. I was careful not to get water anywhere near electrical components and only in the floorboards. The problem disappeared in a day or so. The problem reappeared a couple more times without the water factored in and disappeared within a day or so. In all episodes, the light coming on/going off occurred with a bump in the road (50% or greater) of the time.

Horn and cruise work 100% as of the time so, I think that I can rule out a clock spring.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Re: Air Bag Light Light and Chimes

Check the connector under the seat for the seat belts. This can be a cause of the light coming on if it's not connected or shorting out.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Dayem, Tigger! Normally I would jump all over your suggestion but, I have been running the seat belt wiring discoed for almost two years. I discoed it when I install the Corbeau Moab seats. Was I lucky?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Reed,

Same thing happened to me. When it was wet it would do it, dry no problems. Mine was the clock spring in the steering wheel. Water got behind that water gel. They are not suppose to be serviceable but at almost 200 bones of for a new one, I gave it a shot. No problems since.

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I finally solved this issue but, not on my own. Josh gave me some ideas but, alas, they not were helpful for my situation. I got over my fear of jacking with the air bag and pulled the steering wheel off. The clock spring was pulled and given a chance to dry out. That didn't do it so, I opened it up. BTW, it takes a T9 torx driver to get the screws out. Remarkably simple inside and nothing to be afraid off. The clock spring looked good so, I cleaned up all the connections and used dielectric grease on the connections there and on the accelerometer (the thing bolted to the hump in front of your console). Still had chimes and lights going on and off constantly.

I have a club member friend who works at an Advance Auto hook his personal scanner up to it and I had DTCs everywhere. I had no check engine light on at all. He recommended a guy at a locally owned auto service/tire shop to use his magic on it before going to a dealer or throwing parts at it.

This guy looked at it today (took a week to get into him) plugged his magic into the heep and said hmmmmmmm, looks like you have a squib in your passenger side air bag. OK, WTF but, the connections apparently corrode easily there.

Bottom line is that my heep is a stolen/recovered one out of TX, that has a good title. Dropped my glove box and he said "yep" that is what I thought. Apparently the air bags were removed when they stole the jeep. The repair used crimp style connections. He soldered the connections and life is good again. I paid $60 for the repair. I was almost ready to toss a clock spring on there for $177 and maybe the accelerometer for whatever costs. Hopes this helps someone through a search sometime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.