Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a shop to install a aev 3.5 inch lift. And got hit with this quote. Does it seem right . I thought this lift came with everything except the exhaust modification

Font Material property Parallel Document Number

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to ROF!

Am I seeing that right? Your rear drive shaft costs $5454.95? It calls it a unit. Contrast that with the front driveshaft being $519.95.

EEEEGgads! I calculated your bill to be $14,544.77 with shipping still "TBD." I've spent $2,500 on my 2004 TJ at the most and I've done all of Moab except the top three or so. Wow, I need to lay down. I can't breathe!
Im sure the price for the drive shaft was a typo. I cant imagine one costing more then 600 bucks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your Jeep is a 2017. Are you the original owner? I think I'd feel a little better knowing you've driven it around for four years.
To be fair. I saved by doing my own labor.
No I just got it. I just got rid of my 02 tj. Took the jk wheeling couple weeks ago… really miss the ground clearance on my tj but it had a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Different prices for different areas.
I think labor rate of $150 USD is too much, but they charge what they can get.
I think their labor times are too much. I don't think they should do it for free but they are inflated about 20%. Especially if this is a 4x4 shop as they should have experience.
If you really like this shop then it might be worth it to pay a premium just so you know its done right the first time.

AEV has a list of authorized dealers on their web site phone one of them for a price comparison.
I also thought this lift came with a drag link flip kit and there was no need to get the drive shaft with the exhaust mod

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It comes with a drag link flip kit as seen on AEV parts listing. I would not put 1 ton steering on it, do you want that?

3.5 you don't need driveshaft's depending on how hard you use your Jeep. Same with track bar bracket.
This shop feels that this is what you need, remembering that they sell to all types of people. Some of which beat the hell out of their Jeep.

What is the end result you want?

The base AEV dual sport 3.5 lift kit would take me about 5-6 hours in the shop and another hour for the drag link flip. Then the alignment. A seasoned off road shop should not be charging more than 10 hours?
Is there a down side to one ton steering ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Back on Topic
I would ask them about the time to cut off the track bar bracket. 3.5hrs seems excessive, especially since they are doing all this other work in the area and charging you for that, which will be removing everything out of the way.
That may be more accurate if it was the only thing you were doing, but not in the overall scope of the entire quote.
I'd ask them to drop that down to 1hr, correct the cost for the rear driveshaft and you are probably good to go.
I decided to do that work myself. I’m just going with the lift by itself. It comes with there hi steer kit so I’ll be using that. I’ll replace the steering, driveshaft and track bar bracket down the road. I don’t really do extreme Off-roading right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I may be late to the party

But my solution to 35s on a JKU is just to do new fenders, then skid plates for the belly and let it rub, if you even have that issue.

If you think you really need a suspension lift, I would just get the Synergy 1" springs, they netted me about 2-3 of actual lift. If you need a trackbar, after that, just get one of many.

I do like all the AEV stuff, but may be overkill.

the JKU on the 1" springs and nemesis fenders, oh and 37s (before I tore it down to go back to stock and sell it, that project isn't done either)
I do like the idea of flat fenders. What brands should I look into. That’s a sweet looking Jeep by the way how did you like those mtrs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
the MTRs have been good.

I have the Nemesis fenders onto JKU, they are all about the same IMHO. just different approaches and materials. Soon to be sold when I get caught up on other projects and complete the tear down of it and sell the parts and sell the JKU.
How much are you looking for sell them for. When your ready?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts