Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a shop to install a aev 3.5 inch lift. And got hit with this quote. Does it seem right . I thought this lift came with everything except the exhaust modification

Font Material property Parallel Document Number

·
2,047 Posts
Welcome to ROF!

Am I seeing that right? Your rear drive shaft costs $5454.95? It calls it a unit. Contrast that with the front driveshaft being $519.95.

EEEEGgads! I calculated your bill to be $14,544.77 with shipping still "TBD." I've spent $2,500 on my 2004 TJ at the most and I've done all of Moab except the top three or so. Wow, I need to lay down. I can't breathe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to ROF!

Am I seeing that right? Your rear drive shaft costs $5454.95? It calls it a unit. Contrast that with the front driveshaft being $519.95.

EEEEGgads! I calculated your bill to be $14,544.77 with shipping still "TBD." I've spent $2,500 on my 2004 TJ at the most and I've done all of Moab except the top three or so. Wow, I need to lay down. I can't breathe!
Im sure the price for the drive shaft was a typo. I cant imagine one costing more then 600 bucks

·
2,047 Posts
I see your Jeep is a 2017. Are you the original owner? I think I'd feel a little better knowing you've driven it around for four years.
To be fair. I saved by doing my own labor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your Jeep is a 2017. Are you the original owner? I think I'd feel a little better knowing you've driven it around for four years.
To be fair. I saved by doing my own labor.
No I just got it. I just got rid of my 02 tj. Took the jk wheeling couple weeks ago… really miss the ground clearance on my tj but it had a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires.

·
2,047 Posts
Well again welcome to the family. All my clearance was done with an AEV skid and their fender kit. I was able to stay stock and fit 33’s. But, I have a 2 door, so I can get up most things. I’d want 35’s with a 4 door. Others here will be better able to digest more of the specifics of your plan. I’m not up to speed with the JK stuff.

·
3,759 Posts
Other than the absurd rear driveshaft figures the quote looks to be in line (although the $150 per hour labor is on the high side). If it is a premium shop (meaning they can be trusted and do excellent work) those numbers are OK

·
Registered
730 Posts
Different prices for different areas.
I think labor rate of $150 USD is too much, but they charge what they can get.
I think their labor times are too much. I don't think they should do it for free but they are inflated about 20%. Especially if this is a 4x4 shop as they should have experience.
If you really like this shop then it might be worth it to pay a premium just so you know its done right the first time.

AEV has a list of authorized dealers on their web site phone one of them for a price comparison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Different prices for different areas.
I think labor rate of $150 USD is too much, but they charge what they can get.
I think their labor times are too much. I don't think they should do it for free but they are inflated about 20%. Especially if this is a 4x4 shop as they should have experience.
If you really like this shop then it might be worth it to pay a premium just so you know its done right the first time.

AEV has a list of authorized dealers on their web site phone one of them for a price comparison.
I also thought this lift came with a drag link flip kit and there was no need to get the drive shaft with the exhaust mod

·
Registered
730 Posts
It comes with a drag link flip kit as seen on AEV parts listing. I would not put 1 ton steering on it, do you want that?

3.5 you don't need driveshaft's depending on how hard you use your Jeep. Same with track bar bracket.
This shop feels that this is what you need, remembering that they sell to all types of people. Some of which beat the hell out of their Jeep.

What is the end result you want?

The base AEV dual sport 3.5 lift kit would take me about 5-6 hours in the shop and another hour for the drag link flip. Then the alignment. A seasoned off road shop should not be charging more than 10 hours?

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
HOLY Cow
that work is the price of a jeep.

I think, like the rest, it's $5000 high because of one too many zeros for the rear driveshaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It comes with a drag link flip kit as seen on AEV parts listing. I would not put 1 ton steering on it, do you want that?

3.5 you don't need driveshaft's depending on how hard you use your Jeep. Same with track bar bracket.
This shop feels that this is what you need, remembering that they sell to all types of people. Some of which beat the hell out of their Jeep.

What is the end result you want?

The base AEV dual sport 3.5 lift kit would take me about 5-6 hours in the shop and another hour for the drag link flip. Then the alignment. A seasoned off road shop should not be charging more than 10 hours?
Is there a down side to one ton steering ?

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
Not in my opinion.

·
Registered
730 Posts
One ton steering in a Jk gets rid of the linkage flex which is a good thing. So now if you side hit a curb or rock, the steering wont bend. It probably helps with any sort of shimmy or death wobble.
The down side is that it wont flex or bend and the biggest weak link in a JK's steering is the box. The internet is full of broken sector /pitman shafts. I have seen a few broken myself all from side bump at one of the front wheels. They did even have factory linkage.

I have stock linkage on my Jeep. I have thought this over and still haven't made a decision about what is best.
I think for myself I would go with 1 ton linkage at the same time as a steering box upgrade like what PSC offers.

We can overbuild our Jeeps and only you know what you are going to be doing. Do you want to overland, run easy trails or are you planning on running hard and fast?
What size tires do you want?

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
I guess that's not an issue on the TJ's as I ran for a decade with a 1 Ton setup.
It wasn't until I started competing that I added the PSC Hydro Assist so my stock steering box held up great.

Stupid JKs. You gave the rest of jeep a bad name with your steering woes.
:ROFLMAO:

·
2,047 Posts
I guess that's not an issue on the TJ's as I ran for a decade with a 1 Ton setup.
It wasn't until I started competing that I added the PSC Hydro Assist so my stock steering box held up great.

Stupid JKs. You gave the rest of jeep a bad name with your steering woes.
:ROFLMAO:
My TJ did well with the stock Mercedes box, but then finally got sloppy. I went with the non-hydro PSC. The turning is tighter too. It was a great upgrade for me.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
That sounds like a win win.
I can't seem to find a non assist version of the PSC box, just this

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
That sounds like a win win.
I can't seem to find a non assist version of the PSC box, just this
type in the PSC website search box, tj steering box. A list of stuff will come up. The TJ box alone is on the first page.
SG 400 R is the number.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
Found it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts