Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a tool suggestion to get at the exhaust header bolts? I need to loosen them to re-adjust the exhaust pipe away from the UCA, but I have struck out with all the tools I have. Either the flange or the pipe is always in the way. I picked up 15mm offset wrench and a crows foot to try tonight, but none of my sockets can get up i there. Worse yet, the BFH can't get up there to beat out my frustrations!

TIA

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong bolts, but I use a simple socket wrench while lying under the jeep. I can get at all four bolts with no extensions. Looking at it, I did not believe it would work, but it did.

Nick

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may need to do that. I may also try to strap the exhaust in different locations to see if it moves it around enough to get easier access.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I was able to get to mine easily with a 15mm socket on a 18" extension. The extension lets you get alongside the pipes which gives a straight shot at the bolts.

Regards,
Roger

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never had a straight shoot at the bolts thanks to the mini-converters, but I was finally able to get to all the bolts thanks to some mini box wrenches and a universal for the socket. I managed to snap the front bolt (the hardest one to get to), but I was eventually able to pry the retainer out. That is also the hardest bolt to get threaded thanks to the heat shield and other plumbing. Long story short, I now have 1"+ clearance between the exhaust and the UCA and some better weight distribution on the rest of the exhaust hangers. The only problem now is the awful bruises on my forearms from the tight work space.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I read where a 15mm short universal socket works, so I bought one to do mine a few years ago. It was difficult, but I recall it was a success.
Screenshot_20200626-110956_Chrome.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts