Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 JKUR AEV 350 ABS motor will not stop running. I pulled out the fuse and have been driving it.

The internet has some information on checking the sensors and replacing the ABS module. But I have not found an exact reason for the ABS motor to be constantly running or some pin point history on a fix. If you can help an old school guy understand it would be appreciated.

History of the problem and what caused it: I was on a mountain trail run with my Jeep club in Wyoming. I pulled up to camp and was off camber and about a quart of engine oil spilled coming out near the transmission!

We thought it was a catastrophic leak so strapped to another Jeep and was pulled out to pavement and up to the pass. I then coasted down to the town of Encampment from a very steep, long and winding downgrade with the engine off. I had to use the brakes hard without hydraulic assist.

When I started the engine the ABS motor would not stop running. So figure I created the problem by coasting down with the engine off:(

Sheesh, if I only had known the leak was a 2014 Chrysler fail and the large amount of oil was due to the oil cooler/manifold on top of the engine seeping onto the engine and making a big puddle that I spilled when pulling up. I could have driven it but got towed to Laramie Wy and the Jeep dealer replaced the failed part for free as drive train warranty. Based on internet complaints Chrysler once again knew of the defective part but let the customer have a big hassle and cost when it failed. Eventually caught up with the expedition group after four days at the Teton National Park.

Before the part fail with couple Jeeps of our eleven Jeep group... Dinosaur National Monument Ut

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are you getting any codes or are your abs lights on? The controller powers the pump it is controlled internally. Have you done a battery disconnect? Disconnect both terminals and touch them together this gets rid of any static voltage.
So you took it to a dealer and they fixed the oil leak but gave it back to you with a brake problem? I wouldn't get away with this or would I allow it either.
The oil filter/cooler housings are known to leak, the internet is full of this. In our shop we have probably replace a hundred of them. We have not ever changed one of our regular customers. Every one has come after a service at a Quick lube place. Not a reason but just something we have noticed.

Reactions: sierrabob

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, disconnected the ground but no change.

ABS lights on and no cruise control. ABS fuse is out.

Put the fuse in and drove it a few miles, hoping the computer would wakeup. Didn't work:( ABS motor makes a lot of racket and somehow is making the jeep engine surge. So can't drive it with the fuse in.

No codes!

As to the dealer and the ABS...
The dealer rushed to get me out so I could catch the group. The oil cooler/manifold is back ordered 800 deep nationally. The Laramie dealer got one from the Cheyenne Dealer, the only one he had. The people in this part of America are very kind and friendly BTW. With that, I was grateful. I did ask them about the ABS and they said I would have to stay another day just for them to look at it with no promises. Since I could drive it without the ABS, I choose to do so on my own accord, for better or worse!

At least the motel was next door to the Jeep dealership and there was wild antelope running around in the field across the street!

From the Laramie Wyoming dealers lot, wild antelope. One of the locals say hunting season has started and the antelope know where it's safe! No hunting around town!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice they looked after you.
We have deer here, White tail and Mule. I see a lot of them until October and then they disappear also. They can sense hunting season.
The brake controller takes inputs from the wheel sensors, brake pedal dynamic sensors etc. Then decides if you need some hydraulic assist. A good example would be on a ABS stop. If it sees a wheel sensor not reading, meaning 0 mph, then it thinks it's locked up compared to the other 3. It releases pressure the cycles the pump to build pressure after the wheel speeds up. If the controller is trying to activate ESP then that may be the surge that's going on.
If your pump is on when the vehicle is not moving then I would suspect the internal relay has stuck on. Most people aren't smart enough to pull the fuse and keep driving until the pump has packed it in also.
A good scanner is what you need, check the sensors and other inputs, but your probably right in thinking you need a controller.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice they looked after you.
We have deer here, White tail and Mule. I see a lot of them until October and then they disappear also. They can sense hunting season.
The brake controller takes inputs from the wheel sensors, brake pedal dynamic sensors etc. Then decides if you need some hydraulic assist. A good example would be on a ABS stop. If it sees a wheel sensor not reading, meaning 0 mph, then it thinks it's locked up compared to the other 3. It releases pressure the cycles the pump to build pressure after the wheel speeds up. If the controller is trying to activate ESP then that may be the surge that's going on.
If your pump is on when the vehicle is not moving then I would suspect the internal relay has stuck on. Most people aren't smart enough to pull the fuse and keep driving until the pump has packed it in also.
A good scanner is what you need, check the sensors and other inputs, but your probably right in thinking you need a controller.
I have seen on utube how to check the wheel sensors with a multimeter. I can do that and will this week.

Called both dealers in the area, both provided voice mail to talk to service:( I'll think about them later. Local shop said $145 just to hook up and analyze! I have not been happy with this charge as shops abuse the phantom work:(

So think I will check the sensors first, although, based on a couple utube vids, I fear it is the module, $450 for a rebuild, I saw!

And how to know for sure the problem is the module !!! To be sure probably need to go to the dealer or a shop. But I don't have a shop that I trust:( Have had bad experiences in Reno of late.

So just got to hope the wisdom of ROF will save me on another Chrysler wrangle"faux pas"

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you run the module through rock auto or the like they are $200 or $400 depending on when your Jeep was built. The module separates from the hydraulic block and the motor.
Have you looked into getting a blutooth data plug and App for your phone? I haven't used one but hear good reviews.
https://scantoolcenter.com/blog/best-obd2-bluetooth-scanners/
You will have to do the research to find one that does abs but your going to have to scan it for a real diagnose.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you run the module through rock auto or the like they are $200 or $400 depending on when your Jeep was built. The module separates from the hydraulic block and the motor.
Have you looked into getting a blutooth data plug and App for your phone? I haven't used one but hear good reviews.
https://scantoolcenter.com/blog/best-obd2-bluetooth-scanners/
You will have to do the research to find one that does abs but your going to have to scan it for a real diagnose.
thanks rlenglish,

I have a few weeks before the next run. I'll be on it and will do my best educate myself on this ABS.

Damn getting old in this environment and trying to keep up is lots of work LOL.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OP update:

ABS motor is still running wild when I put in the fuse.

Did not check the ABS wheel sensors. So far haven't found an easy access to check the OHM's. Still unpacking from the latest overland trip so maybe just lazy on that. But also haven't read that the wheel sensors would cause the problem with a run-a-way motor.

Since I don't want to throw money at a shop to analyze at exorbitant cost I bought an OBD11 plug-in, from Amazon, a BlueDriver device that reads ABS codes blue toothed to my cell phone. Unfortunately no ABS codes except low voltage to the ABS module. I put the fuse in, motor then running wild, and read the codes again and still get a low voltage reading to the module.

Based on reading about the problem on the internet the consensus is that this is another phantom problem that even the dealer can't pinpoint. The usual mechanics action is to replace parts. Looks like the ABS module is the target. Found one on eBay, new at $160.

I still haven't got a message back from the local dealer in Reno. I left a message on voice mail. I plan on going down and in person try to find out if this might be covered under some warranty. If not I'm going to replace the module and go from there. That is unless I hear different on ROF.

Not how to arrive at the motel! At least the Laramie Jeep Dealer is just on the other side of the building.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OP update: ABS motor running wild

Going to the dealers shop:surprise: Probably going to be a 1k to 1.2k job:frown2:

After more research and calling around figured out that I could get into a mess doing the work myself or trying to get a local shop to figure it out. Probably the dealer will need to re-flash the jeep computer to get the ABS module to coordinate with the jeep system:serious:

The Reno dealer can't get me in until mid October! Going to the Carson Dealer about 50 mile drive from my place next week. I still have time to figure this out but I don't have a service manual. Anyone know where can I get one for a Jeep Wrangler JKUR 2014, cheap?

So far Service manual cost for the CD is $280 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B010BY1KZ8/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

·
Registered
531 Posts
Shame you can't get into data. Wheel sensor changed several years ago and you can't check them with a ohm meter anymore. If your pump runs when the vehicle is not moving then it isn't a sensor. The sensor(s) would have to be giving a erratic signal to the module. You should check for power and ground at the sensor connector, if memory serves me correct they operate on 12 volts.
The abs controller will need some programing, probably just vin but may need configuration also. Your going to be at the dealers mercy with this one.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shame you can't get into data. Wheel sensor changed several years ago and you can't check them with a ohm meter anymore. If your pump runs when the vehicle is not moving then it isn't a sensor. The sensor(s) would have to be giving a erratic signal to the module. You should check for power and ground at the sensor connector, if memory serves me correct they operate on 12 volts.
The abs controller will need some programing, probably just vin but may need configuration also. Your going to be at the dealers mercy with this one.
Your right on dealers mercy. The Carson dealer has been OK with me over time but did have to complain to the general manager when service was playing cat and mouse when the TJ's computer went belly up.

Why I'm giving up working on the JK ABS is I keep getting mixed information and caution about the computer control. If I start changing out parts and things don't work I'm just adding to the end cost and also the wasted time.

Anyway just posting incase someone knows for sure what to do and also to add to knowledge.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Conclusion: ABS motor running wild.

I brought the Jeep into the dealer's shop today. Told the service person I wanted the GM involved. Explained the issue and requested ABS be fixed under Chrysler warranty.

Because... 2014 3.6l engine oil cooler/manifold leak is a manufactures part fail and is repaired under drive train warranty. But should be a recall BTW.

My argument for ABS fix under warranty: The ABS Warranty consideration is based on oil cooler/manifold leaking and causing ABS fail due to the situation of having to coast down to a town with motor off and that caused the ABS motor to run wild.

Got a call this afternoon. Was informed by the service guy that Chrysler is replacing the ABS motor and module under warranty... My cost $100, usual cost... heard it was about $1200.

Another note: I have spent considerable money at this dealer on the TJ with a PCM replacement, I may have a relationship with this dealer and you may have a differnt experience with your local dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts