Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to the Rubi and having just reached 1000 miles on mine I noticed a couple of things that perhaps another owner has expierenced. Here goes.
1) When cleaning it out I noticed a lot of condensation under the floor mats. This maybe normal for the body but my other Jeeps never had this. Has anyone else?
2) Whenever I turn on the A/C or Defroster I get a rather annoying tick every six to eight seconds from behind the glove box area. It must be a relay and I would understand it cycling on the defrost cycle but not on the A/C mode. I've looked and it appears to be non accessable from inside. Perhaps it's on the firewall but haven't had the time to look yet. Does anyone else have this tick?

These items are on the list for the dealer but if you have any feedback it would be appreciated since the dealer means I lose the Rubi and a few hours of time. Thanks for your help, P

G

·
0 Posts
Hey PJ, I get the condensation too. And it did it on my old YJ too. I think it depends on many things. Your A/C usage, weather outside if you live near the NY area where it hasn't stoped raining for weeks or months now. But I think it mainly has to do with your type of floor mats. Some trap and hold more moisture than others. My good luck dollar bill that the wife place under the mat is soaked.... on the cliking noise, I think its the a/c compressor.. or the temp sensor for it. It clicks when the clutch engages to run the compressor... I could be wrong, but mine does it too, but I hear the noise from the engine. Let us know if this turns out to be a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
PJ..

1) There is not heat shield under the JP so the floor get very warm. (Hence why they say to keep the carpets in. With all this warm floor and cold air temp coming from inside the cab you are definatley going to get condensation. This is normal and I would not worry about it. Carpets won't rot or anything.

2) Like trouble said the clicking is normal also. It it the realy controling the AC unit that is going in and out.

Cheers.

Sean

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I really appreciate the info, guess all is normal. Is there a way to stop or minimize that clicking? Maybe if I turn up the radio louder :)) P

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
PJ,
crank up the fav tunes... wont hear that darn click.

dont have a condensation ... prob here its toooooooooooo DRY!
:wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Awhile back, I posted that I was gonna install the kilby dual battery tray and asked if anyone had suggestions. One guy suggested going and getting an elbow (something from Home Depot for example) and placing it on the drian tube that exits in the engine bay just below the stock battery tray. He told me that the drainage can get pushed back into the jeep when at speed. This might be your moist floor mat problem. I was gonna get an elbow and just silicon it into place (I never did it due to the fact that I got a little overwhelmed with my project and skipped it).

Food for thought.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm

That would never have occurred to me, I'll take a look and install the elbow either way, an ounce of prevention is worth a piund of cure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds normal to me...then again, what is normal about a jeep?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have the same tick. except it comes in every 3 - 4 seconds. for me, it and any other noises the rubi makes, are non-issues compared to all the
clinking, rattling, squeaking, and clunking noises i have had on my old
70's jeeps of the past. im so happy i can now carry on a conversation
with the passenger driving at freeway speeds, i can hardly contain myself.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Fat Tony said:
Sounds normal to me...then again, what is normal about a jeep?!
Normal things in a JP... Wind noise, Rattles, Leaks, More Rattles, Sore back, Vibrations, Wheel noise.... Just to name a few.

Abnormal things in a JP....If you don't have any of the listed above... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I agree... I personally wouldn't like it if the top didn't leak or wasn't harsh on road. Its a Jeep! Thats part of the lifestyle.

Had I not wanted any of that I would have bought a Lexus. :)

Justin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts