Rubicon Owners Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Greg,
If you want to avoid accumulating data charges you can download map tiles for the area to be traveled using wifi before you leave. The stored maps are then available without cell service.

At least that is how I use it on my android wifi-only tablet.
Bill

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greg,
If you want to avoid accumulating data charges you can download map tiles for the area to be traveled using wifi before you leave. The stored maps are then available without cell service.

At least that is how I use it on my android wifi-only tablet.
Bill

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yup, several apps do what is called chached imagery of google maps or similar tiles. Two I have used are Locus for Android and GPS KIT for IOS, both are good for times you dont have cellular data service. As long as you get GPS signal on your phone or tablet you are good to go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I find this picture interesting. On the left we have the new 3" Nth spring followed by my old 100k mile RE 3.5" spring. The spring on the end is a Moog V8 ZJ spring.

The new coils only lifted the front 1/4".
Is that Moog a progressive/dual rate spring? It sure looks like it. I though Moog only made OEM replacement stuff.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Any chance you would mind measuring you springs now that they've been in for a while? I am considering replacing my 3" Currie coils with the Nth and I'm curious whether of not I would gain the height I want.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Any chance you would mind measuring you springs now that they've been in for a while? I am considering replacing my 3" Currie coils with the Nth and I'm curious whether of not I would gain the height I want.
Wow, how did I miss your post!?! Sorry about that. If you are still looking for ride height measurements, I'd be glad to help you out.

I had a breif moment of sunshine after work today, so I started a project that has been on the back burner for several months.

Well, U-Turn, it has been fun. The crossover design worked great on the trail, but left little to be desired on the road.

When the TRE tapers on the passenger knuckle bracket stretched out and ORO couldn't get me parts to repair it, I said enough was enough.

The options for a replacement set up for me where limited to either the Currie Currectlync or V8 Grand Cherokee. I opted to go with the Grand Cherokee set up due to my past experience with it and the regular availability of parts (if needed). Not to mention it is about 1/5 the cost of the Currie.

It may not be as flashy, or as strong as the Uturn, but I know the onroad driveability will be improved. I don't really push my Jeep to its limits, so I expect my step 'backwards' to work for a long time.

If it ever stops raining, I'll get it aligned this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
131,600 mile service
New Cooper ST Maxx tires, 315/75r16

My last set of Copper STTs really impressed me with 52k miles of hard use. They were down to 4/32's, really loud and starting to ride rough so I decided to sell 3 organs and a limb to buy new tires. I maintained my existing size but decided to change up the tread pattern and try something very few TJs run.

These ST Maxx tires are silent and smooooth. I was awestruck when I drove it out of the parkung lot. Some report a side pull with them but they are straight tracking for me. Here's to another +50k miles with Cooper!

Yes, I am a geek who likes full flare coverage

The Rubi really needs a new throw out bearing (and thus a clutch) as it really starts squeaking when I disengage the clutch:surprise:

6 of the 8 JKS control arms have been replaced with dual Johnny Joint Rokmen control arms. The rear uppers will soon be replaced. This has really tightened up the handling. Even though the bushings were still good in the JKS arms, I think the 'twist' feature had developed some slop over the last 80k miles.

·
904 Posts
131,600 mile service
New Cooper ST Maxx tires, 315/75r16
Really like the look of the tires. They have a nice AT look to them and not too much MT. I'd say they compete with the KO2's in my mind. I am going to have to put these on the short list. Can't wait to see them in action in August.

Speaking of August ... better get cracking on that bearing and clutch replacement. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I started on the clutch job this weekend. Naturally it was scorching hot outside and even warmer in the shop. A clutch could be done in a day by a motivated wrench turner, but that does not describe my style:) Although I have never had the transmission or transfer case pulled from the Jeep, I have pulled and installed the motor twice so I had no surprises with the bell housing bolts.

With only 132k miles on the clutch I wasn't expecting to do this job for a few years. But, for the past year I have had a creaky clutch (verified it wasn't the pedal), a persistent squeak when the clutch was disengaged and when the clutch was used heavily (off road) the squeak would transition itself into a grinding noise. I suspected a failing release bearing was to blame and decided to replace the clutch at the same time while I was in there.

My parts list:
- LuK 05-065 Clutch Kit
- LuK LFW193 Flywheel
- Mopar Release Bearing
- Mopar Pilot bearing/bushing

Disassembly was straight forward. The biggest hurdle I had was removing my OBA tank that was right behind the transfer case followed by the center console. The 'easy' stuff always takes the longest.

The culprit:
https://youtu.be/iS_gpuX-EtU
I installed this Mopar bearing 100k miles ago. I read Mopar is still the best option so I bought another one.

While on the release bearing kick, here is a part plastic LuK bearing that come with the clutch kit next to the Mopar all metal release bearing.

The pilot bearing came pressed into the pilot bushing from Mopar. The LuK kit only came with the pilot bearing. The good news is both Mopar and LuK used the exact same bearing part number. RemovIng the existing pilot bearing was ridiculously easy with the Harbor Freight puller. i elected to tap the LuK provided pilot bearing into the existing bushing vs. installing the new bushing since the fit was still tight.

Flywheel and clutch kit installed real easy. The LuK alignment tool fit nice and tight.

I was able to get the transmission cleaned up and the fork/release bearing installed before calling it quits this weekend. I hope to get everything buttoned up this week.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Wow, it only took me 15 minutes to get the transmission to mate with the clutch disc/pilot bearing and rest squarely to the engine block. I was shocked, this process usually takes much longer! It did take me much, much longer to wrestle the transmission and transfer case combination onto the transmission jack once under the Jeep than I'd like to admit. That NV3550/NP241 combination is HEAVY.

The clutch pedal feel is extremely smooth....and silent. I think the release bearing had been going bad for years resulting in a stiff noisey pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So... it has been a few years since I updated this. But that is because the Jeep continues to just work! At the end of this year, I will have had this Rubi for 17 years.

I recently added an AntiRock front swaybar and an old Kenwood TM-733A to replaced the CB I never use. I also removed the MCAI intake (plugged the hole in the firewall with a plastic plug) and replaced it with a stock airbox. It is so nice to have a quiet intake again!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,997 Posts
Looking good

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks John. I hope to be giving the Jeep some more attention over the next couple of years.

I have never been happy with the the 5.13's installation done by the local shop. They have always made noise and when I asked the shop about it, I was told it is normal. Having been around other 5.13 installations, I know it is not normal. The growling noise keeps getting louder, so I need to plan on rebuilding the differentials after 65k miles of use. I'll probably aim for 4.56 gears as I'd love to go down to a 255/85R16 tire (narrow 33) and about 2" lift springs (retaining the 1" BL currently installed).

The poor Rubi is currently overbuilt for my use these days and I'd love to get some of the drive-ability back... but it is hard to commit to smaller tires since I've had 315's for 12 years!

·
3,430 Posts
Hope you get it figured out. Good to see you on the board!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts