Rubicon Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence

Well it is the last day of January and I am driving around with the windows out!

This time last year:

Finally got the front end tightened up with new control arm bushings which cured my death wobble. I still need to replace the bushings on the axle housing.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
87warriors "rubi" build sequence

kidmugg said:
Great shot of this year and last.

I had the window down today too. But we do have snow on the ground. Just not nearly as much as last year.
Agreed. Nice pics from one year to the next. Weather is crazy here. 63 and sunny. Could have easily had the top down. Played a round of golf this morning :)

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

Thanks for the comments. The weather has been quite unusual. Makes for a nice Jeep drive though :)

I have a few parts sitting in 'the launch position' ready to go on the Jeep. I hope to get them on this spring.
- Rokmen tank skid
- Rockhard 4x4 rear spreader bars
- Mad4x4 rear axle bracket kit

Need to pick up the Rokmen rear coil spring/bumpstop correction kit and take care of that at the same time as the axle brackets.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
nmj48 said:
how do you have your hi-lift mounted to the bestop carrier?
I used the 4xRac Highlift carrier and simply used 4 ubolts from the hardware store to secure it to the carrier. The fit is real tight with a 35, but it all fits.

Here is a picture of the mounts from several years back with the stock sized spare (and an ice storm).

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

It has been awhile since my last update. I haven't had to do much to the ol' Jeep since it has been running fine and nothing has broken.

Sometime last summer my lockers decided they didn't always want to work. I could usually get them to lock the first time I tried while wheeling, but after that pressing the axle lock button did nothing. After probing the entire locker system with a multimeter I could not locate the problem. I suspect it may be related to a cluster bus code that has been pending for over a year now that I have not been able to isolate either.

Enter, the locker bypass mod. I used the second method mentioned here:
http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/TJLJ ... Defeat.htm

I located a junk piece of XJ wiring harness that had a matching set of plugs. Ran the wires through the dash leaving a plug terminal near the airbag module. I then wired switches in the console to operate the lockers. I have front and rear locker switches behind the shifter and a system interrupt in front of the t-case lever which is a pull-on switch. Since nobody wants to accidentally lock an axle at 70 mph I wanted the option to 'turn off' the bypass.

Wiring all completed indoors:

The piece of harness I used had more wires in it than I needed. I left pigtails for possible future needs in the console.

Installed:

To splice into the locker harness plug, I simply un-clipped the plug wire retainer from the back of the plug, inserted the proper wire for each locker and re-clipped the retainer. I did not ground the bypass back to the plug, but I did a chassis ground near the shifter.

With the interrupt switch pulled on, I can lock either axle whenever I desire. I should have done this long ago :)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I suspect it is time for another update! My wife and I bought the Rubi a friend:

Then I took the Rubicon to South Fork, Colorado in August of 2013 and broke the rear trackbar/upper control arm mount during a long, steep, climb. Once again, I over paid a local welder to patch my mount back together so I could continue my vacation.

I decided enough was enough and backed the Rubicon in the garage to pull the rear axle to weld on some real brackets. I picked up the Mad4x4 TJ bracket kit several years ago to do this repair, but never got around to it. I also bought the Clayton shock relocation brackets.

I wont be needing these anymore:

Since the Mad4x4 brackets were designed for an 8.8 swap, the radii were too large to fit snugly around the D44 tubes. I had to cut a smaller radius into the brackets. Even after cutting the smaller radius into the UCA brackets, I was still able to achieve almost 8" of vertical separate between the UCA and LCA mounts. I also hacked up the trackbar mount so it would fit over the control arm mount so it would have no interference with the gas tank skid with the pinion angled up. I also media blasted and painted my old RE springs since rust had taken over.

While I had lots of room under the rear end, I FINALLY did the Rokmen fuel tank skid install. I have had this sitting on the shelf for 4+ years!!!!!! The rear cross member was all bent up so it had to be straightened. A transmission jack made the skid install a breeze even with 2/3 tank of gas....after I figured out how to disconnect the fuel line fittings.

Test fit and check for clearances:

My old JKS rear trackbar decided it was done being 'adjustable' as it was rusted together. After trying to break it free, I ended up bending the bar. Now I am waiting for a Currie trackbar CE-9120RS to arrive so I can get the Rubi back on the ground!

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
....While I had lots of room under the rear end, I FINALLY did the Rokmen fuel tank skid install. I have had this sitting on the shelf for 4+ years!!!!!! The rear cross member was all bent up so it had to be straightened. A transmission jack made the skid install a breeze even with 2/3 tank of gas....after I figured out how to disconnect the fuel line fittings. ....
Congratulations on not breaking the fuel pump nipple, that's what usually happens (I broke mine :rolleyes:.)

Great upgrades.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I replaced the RE 3.5" rear coil springs with Nth LJ 3" coils.

Getting it all put back together. Someday I would like to re-position the upper coil spring mount so the coils sit plumb.

My Currie trackbar finally came in from Savvy. I don't think I'll every buy from Savvy again :fight:

The Jeep rides great and runs down the road better than it has in years. This picture was taken after I spent 3 hours on the Interstate at 75mph.

To follow up the rear suspension work, I would like to replace the front coils with Nth springs and ditch the OME shocks that have 100K miles on them with new Bilsteins.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to replace the front RE springs and OME shocks. It's a good deal I did, one OME shock had lost its fluid and did nothing.

I find this picture interesting. On the left we have the new 3" Nth spring followed by my old 100k mile RE 3.5" spring. The spring on the end is a Moog V8 ZJ spring.

The new coils only lifted the front 1/4".

The new front shocks are Bilstein 5150 with 10" of travel with the Bilstein stem conversion.

Everything back under the Jeep. Looks like it is about time for replacement brake lines.

And the obligatory glam shot during the test drive.

All I can say at this point is, 'WOW'. It drives like a completely different rig. I guess good shocks and springs DO make a big difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice choice on the 5150s! I loved them when I ran em on my rig. Too bad I didn't run with bumpstops at the time, so I smashed them one too many times and they started to leak. Lessons learned there!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
My JKS brake lines look exactly the same - it's just the outer plastic coating sheath that has flexed and broken. I wouldn't worry about it but I do carry spares.
You got it. The inner steel braid is still in top notch shape. I keep a close eye on my brake lines since I had one burst several years ago. Don't want that to happen on Black Bear Pass :eek:

Nice choice on the 5150s! I loved them when I ran em on my rig. Too bad I didn't run with bumpstops at the time, so I smashed them one too many times and they started to leak. Lessons learned there!
I decided to give them a try. You just don't see many TJ's running the 5150, usually 5100 or 5160, but the WJ guys seem to like 'em! I haven't been able to drive the Jeep up my RTI ramp (aka landscape retaining wall) since it has been raining. Although, according to my measurements I should be bumpstopped correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
I think the Jeep is ready for another week in the San Jauns:
- Changed Fluids: Axles, T-case, Trans, motor
- Topped Fluids: Washer fluid, Power steering, HOAT Coolant
- Greased rear driveshaft, trackbars, control arms, disconnects, steering
- Verified all nuts and bolts are tight

I did order and install a new Tom Woods shaft up front. The slip joint in my 125K mile stocker was just too loose for my liking. This also cured a 60-70mph vibration I had been having.

I also fabbed together a mount for my HTC smartphone. To be used as a GPS routing tool off road AND as a video recording device. While I know the San Juan trails better than the back of my hand, I am trying to prepare my self for a future overland trip. GPS routing is just one of those things I have never used.

I used RAM mounts to build this since they appear to be the bees-knees in vehicle accessory mounts and an extra hard shell cover for my HTC phone.
- RAM Rail Base
- RAM Short Double Socket Arm
- Ram Diamond Base
- Ballistic hard/soft phone case (I already own this case, but got another to leave the hard shell mounted in the Jeep)

I mounted the diamond base to the backside of the hard case of the phone and checked to make sure it would still clip around the soft case on the phone. Then attached it to the arm and RAM rail mount. I was extremely disappointed with the rail mount. The mount simply uses a large hose clamp with rubber sheathing to hold unit to the rollbar. This didn't bother me but I did expect the hose clamp to be high quality. Nope this is the same cheap hose clamp you find at Autozone for less than a dollar, equipped with poorly engaging worm gear and the clamp fitting that bends once it start to get tight. I had to reshape clamp surface upwards to full engage the worm gear in order to put any torque on this. I hope it is tight enough for trail use.

(Never mind the fog light relay. My multifunction switch likes to randomly turn on the fogs when parked. Needs a replacement. Another project for another day)

Ready to navigate with routes and downloaded topo data to Back Country Pro:

And it is even set up to record a day on the trail with 10 hours of storage available:

61 - 80 of 96 Posts