Rubicon Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
sacdaddy03 said:
87Warrior said:
Thanks :D I have the AB (April 26, 2004) version of the maps. According to wjjeeps.com AG (December 10, 2008) is the most up to date map DVD. Truthfully, the old DVD version is still 99% accurate. I would guess if you live in a quickly developing area there may be more mistakes in the mapping. I don't use it for navigation purposes all that often, I really enjoy the FM radio and Ipod interface.

Gotcha..It is defiantly a sweet looking radio! But for $1,600+ for it plus another $250 for iPod interface, that's a little steep! MOPAR is worse than buying Harley parts! :rotflmao:

You said it.. check this out for giggles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/anybo ... d-1125781/

Does the ipod interface work with Gen 3 and 4s only or does it work with all of them? To keep this on track.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
JeepnBlake said:
That thing is pretty cool man.

I've been thinking about the 4.88s vs 5.13s for awhile now for the 315 70 16s, how do you like them out on the highway? What kind of RPMs are you actually getting at say 75?
At 75 mph she purrs along around 3K RPM. Highway fuel economy stayed the same between 4.10s and 5.13s with the 35's.... I rarely go that fast, but when I do, its nice to have some 'pedal' left to pass with the 5.13s. It is less affected by winds on the highway now too. I think the 4.88s would have made it like it was stock, but I figured with the added weight and wind resistance it would not hurt to be a little deeper.

sacdaddy03 said:
Gotcha..It is defiantly a sweet looking radio! But for $1,600+ for it plus another $250 for iPod interface, that's a little steep! MOPAR is worse than buying Harley parts! :rotflmao:
Uh.. yeah. I would NOT buy a new one. Its cool, but not THAT cool. Mine was used, I think I paid less than $400 for it.

JeepnBlake said:
Does the ipod interface work with Gen 3 and 4s only or does it work with all of them? To keep this on track.
Not sure. I figure it it plugs in, you should have no problem. I try to do research before buying a part, but sometimes it winds up being trial and error.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for the late follow up question, but I wanted to know more about the bestop tire carrier. Any rattles? And what did you mean when you said it "is a bit irritating since it is not fixed"?

I also checked out the OR-Fab version but it doesn't seem to be integrated to swing out together with the tailgate but instead separate. Is there another version that you were referring to that is connected like the bestop version?

I am strongly considering going with the bestop version and ditching my currie tire carrier. Appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I get no rattles from the carrier. About once a year I have to re-tighten one of the adjusting nuts because it works loose and starts squeaking...my Jeep has no rattles or squeaks, I can't stand them! The tire mount is a telescoping/adjustable fixture. This is great because it allows you to snugly mount any tire and wheel combination. It also makes it more challenging (NOT impossible, just more time consuming) to mount a large, heavy tire.

I would buy the Bestop carrier again. The simplistic, non-intrusive, design is what attracted me to it and what has kept me hanging on to it.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
After 2-3 years of "nothing exciting" happening to my Rubi, I decided to start giving it some love while the Comanche is at the body shop.

The list of stuff to be done:
1. Remove stock steering, brakes, knuckles and axle shafts
2. Remove ball joints and install new ball joints
3. Install axle tube seals
4. Install new Axle Shafts
5. Install 16" Vanco Brake kit and knuckles
6. Install U turn steering system I picked up from Phillip
7. Replace heim joint on RE ATB

It came apart slowly, yet easily, even pressing out the ball joints. Installing the new ball joints was uneventful just a slow and tedious job. I clean the axle tubes out and push on the seals. I notice one of the zerks look cracked and sure enough it was. Luckily the axle going into the MJ has the same seals so I stole a good zerk and installed it. While I was dealing with Zerks I figure I should install them in the new ball joints. Straight forward and simple, right? 1, 2,3 go in... The the passenger side lower, #4, decides to play hard ball...and SNAP. The head of the zerk breaks off leaving the threads in the joint. 6 hours later the threads come out. It looks like the wrong zerk was sent with that ball joint and was too long allowing it to bottom out.

Tired of looking at the pasenger side I decide to start on the driver side brakes. Knuckle goes on, shaft goes in, unit bearing is ground down, rotor/caliper bracket/ caliper goes on, then I go to attach the brake line. Won't fit, the end of the Jeep line is a bit different than the Ford caliper. Massage the end and get it to fit. Torque the U-turn driver side bracket and attach the rod end at the Pitman arm.

By this time the weekend was over and had to leave my rig on jackstands. Looks like I am in for another hot weekend of wrenching. Have to get the front end done before I drive it out to Colorado!

The must finish list:
- Passenger side brakes/knuckle
- ORO Steering Stabilizer
- Adjust toe/drag link
- Replace ATB rod end
- Break in the brakes!
- Install Griffin Radiator and new T-stat

Still awaiting install after the front is done:
- Rear Superior Axle Shafts
- Rokmen Tank skid

Its never ending, but I love it :D

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Congrats on all the new parts! Have fun in Colorado. I really wish I could make it back this summer.

87Warrior said:
I know this feeling well. My Jeep would be okay without another mod, but I seem to be happiest when torturing myself in the 100* heat working on the next upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Steve578 said:
Congrats on all the new parts! Have fun in Colorado. I really wish I could make it back this summer.

87Warrior said:
I know this feeling well. My Jeep would be okay without another mod, but I seem to be happiest when torturing myself in the 100* heat working on the next upgrade.
I think it may be that Jeep thing.... I really like working on the Rubi and upgrading parts... or do I mean breaking whats not broke then fixing it with something better. I am very excited to wheel the Rockies again as I didn't get to go last year... had to take a Honeymoon instead!

Something else arrived today!

Just by holding the unit and looking it over, it is clearly a very well constructed piece of art work. Almost a shame it will go in my Jeep....almost :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think I picked that sticker up some 10+ years ago from the old Trading Post near Christie Base. (I don't even recognize that area any more) I found it a few years back while cleaning and decided to stick it on the Jeep. For being a cheap sticker, it has held up unbelievably well.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I got the Jeep back from a week long Jeepin' trip around Taylor Park, Colorado. It drove 12 hours out there, ran 600 miles of trails, then drove 12 more hours back home! The Vanco brakes worked great, the U-Turn performs much better than the stock inverted y steering, the Currie front track bar was quiet, the Griffin radiator kept it at 210 all day and the Moog Ball joints kept it going straight.

I did manage to sheer off the rear UCA/Trackbar bracket on Tincup Pass. Limped the Jeep down the mountain at a slower pace than I could have walked it. Loaded it on my buddies trailer and hauled into Gunnison for a local welder to repair. Now I am seriously considering a 4 link long arm upgrade. The research begins!

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
87Warrior said:
I got the Jeep back from a week long Jeepin' trip around Taylor Park, Colorado. It drove 12 hours out there, ran 600 miles of trails, then drove 12 more hours back home! The Vanco brakes worked great, the U-Turn performs much better than the stock inverted y steering, the Currie front track bar was quiet, the Griffin radiator kept it at 210 all day and the Moog Ball joints kept it going straight.

I did manage to sheer off the rear UCA/Trackbar bracket on Tincup Pass. Limped the Jeep down the mountain at a slower pace than I could have walked it. Loaded it on my buddies trailer and hauled into Gunnison for a local welder to repair. Now I am seriously considering a 4 link long arm upgrade. The research begins!
Great pic! Very cool.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
That is an awesome photo. Is that a MCAI scoop painted to match your body color?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
f9k9 said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/87Warrior/Colorado%202011/Panorama3-1.jpg[img] That is an awesome photo. Is that a MCAI scoop painted to match your body color?[/quote]
:D You've got it. Sprayed it with some of that factory matched paint when I got it.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
87Warrior said:
f9k9 said:
That is an awesome photo. Is that a MCAI scoop painted to match your body color?
:D You've got it. Sprayed it with some of that factory matched paint when I got it.
Very nice touch!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence

Installed my Superior Axle rear axle shafts last weekend. The install was almost too easy!

While out wheeling in CO back in August, I managed to bust one of the clips on my Viking top rear strap. A zip-tie had been holding it together until today. I built a simple strap buckle. Sure it doesn't have a clip, but the velcro holds it all together just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Brett, the stance on your rig looks great! Nice long term build!

We need more pics! :D

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence

Thank you! It is finally sitting how I have wanted it to for years. But hey, it has been a blast building it up. Still lots and lots of stuff I want to do to it.

Pics? Pics of what? I've got a whole lot of it. Going to a local Jeep Jamboree in a couple of weeks, so maybe I can get some current action shots.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts