Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some of the earlier ROF members this might cause a flash back :wink:

December 16, 2003:
-Picked up the Rubicon from Kalamazoo Michigan. It was at an IAA insurance auction place. I won the online bid :cheesy:
-2003 Rubicon; 12,900 miles; 2 rods through the oil pan; 4 rods with perfect arcs in them; new car smell included

Besides from a few crappy pictures online, this was the first I had ever seen my "new" Rubi

Rinsing the Tow rig and rubi in Columba Missouri after eating at a fantastic Mexican restaurant, "Chevys"

Late December 2003/January-February 2004:
- Pictures are self explanatory, I hope :laugh: Also purchased a hardtop.
- Simple rebuild. Everything was checked for cracks and came up good. Even the crank was in tip top shape. Bored over .02 and had the head decked ever so slightly. Next time I would STROKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 2004:
- Beginners wheeling trip north of Steamboat Springs, CO.

Winter/Spring 2005:
- JKS discos and Uniden CB Installed

Spring/Summer 2005:
- RE 4.5SF w/ 3.5 springs lift; OME Shocks; TeraFelx rear shock locators; Tom Woods CV; 275/75/R16 MTRs; Bestop cloth lowers; Olympic Front/rear receiver bumpers
- ROF adventure in Ouray CO

Black Bear Pass: Is that ZigZag or jeepinbrett behind my rig 8)

Spring 2006:
-RB1 and iPod Kit

Summer 2006:
- A to Z Rocker Guards; Kilby Steering Box Skid

- A little fun before Armor install

Spring/Summer 2007:
- 8 JKS control arms; JKS Rear trackbar [to replace failing RE SF components]; 1" PA BL; JKS BMML; Besttop Tire Carrier

Fall 2007:
- Jeep Medic TT and Engine Skid
- Yakima Ski Rack

Spring 2008:
- Viking Fast Back Top - used in box (will be put on once ski season is over) :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys 8)

It really surprises me how 'slow' I have been at building up my Jeep as compaired to most of the folks here. I have a long list ahead of me, she is far from done. Future list of mods include:

- A Gas Tank Skid : Rokmen or Kilby
- RockHard Cage
- Alloy USA F/R shafts
- SuperWinch and Winch Plate
- Tie rod upgrade : ZJ or Currie
- 35's : TBD

Just for fun, what would YOU pick next, from my plans or whats not on the list :black:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May 18, 2008

This weekend was a busy one for my Jeep:

What could be lurking under here????

I relocated my locker pumps :cheesy:

I simply used the factory mounting hardware, drilled some grommet holes, and stuck it all together with butt splice connectors and heat shrink: (please excuse the falling electrical tape)

I also managed to get my OBA tank mounted (not pictured) next to the DS and got my Viair compressor mounted. I also installed an AutoMeter air pressure gauge next to the locker switch and tapped into the unused overdrive plug so it lights up with the dash :wink: Next up will to get my Kilby manifold, switches, and plumbing ran:

Next weekend I get to stick the viking top on and pick up my rockhard cage :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence - UPDATE: Viking Fastback

I really like the pumps under the seat. I did not have to do much to extend the lines, plus my abs tray under the hood already holds a compressor :cheesy:

May 25, 2008
Installed a used Viking Fastback. The top is great. However the Bestop drill-less header bar is horrible. Soon to be replaced with a drill style.

Even almost into June, there is still A LOT of snow on Vail Mountain!!!!!! :agrue: You can also see my 'custom' Northridge Sticker!!! :fadein:

·
Registered
327 Posts

What problem are you having with the no-drill header and the Viking top?

BTW, the Jeep looks great. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts

Yes, I would like to know what you don't like about the header. I hate my no drill header, it keeps tilting up and to the rear. I'd love to put a drill type header on it, but I cannot find one for 03+ and I'm not sure what the differences between the years are, or what I'd need to do to get the older style drill type to work.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The no drill header I have does NOT seal agianst the wind sheild frame, does not sit flush, and tilts to the back. I have not checked to see if I was sent the wrong one when I picked up a bikini top a few years ago. The wind noise it made never bothered me with the bikini top. I did buy some weather stripping and put it at the base of the header, helped with some of the wind noise. I had the drill style header on my YJ and did not have any issues.

Thanks for the comment on the Jeep :cheesy: After the cage is in, I need to recoup funds and replace the MTR's. They are down to 1/4" or so and keep going out of balance.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Have you found a drill type to work on the 03+?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts

87Warrior said:
I need to recoup funds and replace the MTR's. They are down to 1/4" or so and keep going out of balance.
in the meantime, you should invest in some earplugs :D ....those mtr's are going to get really loud if they're not already

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The MTR's are noisey... but I can not hear them over the header bar on interstate :rotflmao:

I have not found a drill header for the +03. I do not understand why this simple part is such a problem. Its just a lip for the top to slide into. Time for some investigation.

EDIT: Slow morning at work. I found this drill type header for dirt cheap.
http://www.jeeptopdepot.com/prodDetail. ... parts=true

·
Registered
779 Posts

Ok, thanks for finding that. For $12.95 and free shipping I ordered one and I'll be the guinea pig.

I've spent way too much time today looking at the different header channels, and I think the reason the 02 and older won't work is just simply because of the interior trim. It is in the way of where you screw the header to the windshield frame. I don't know if that omix-ada one is the same or not, but at this point, I'm hating the Bestop header and I'll do what is necessary to use the drill type.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Careful....a lot of the old drill types don't extend and have the turned down corners on them...that'll cause a gap.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. This could be one of those. But I know someone that can use it if I can't. At least I'll know why I have to use that cursed no drill header if this doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

June 3:
- Finished Installing Rockhard 4x4 Cage. Painted with duplicolor truck bed coating. Texture almost matches the factory dash!

June 7:
- One Day adventure to Moab!!!!

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb ... =4&t=58245

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence - UPDATE: Cage and Moab

Man...what a nice build sequence. That rig looks great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: 87warriors "rubi" build sequence - UPDATE: Cage and Moab

What is that radio out of and how did you hook it up?

When I got mine it did not have a radio so I bought a factory 6disk indash changer.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts