Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I might need to have a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to run the wheels I really want with the backspacing I need. Sooooo

Is there any way to convert the Rubi to 5 on 5.5 without having to use the WARN kit that adds something like .5-.75" width to each side?

I was thinking something along the lines of redrilling the front unit-bearings and discs and rear axle flanges and discs? Has anyone else thought about doing this?

If someone can post up the overall dia of the unit-bearing flange and rear axle flange I can plug it into CAD and see if there will be enough room?

Any other thoughts???

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like there should be enough room on the front rotor....

I can't find one of the rear yet....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front unit-bearing looks like it might be a little small....I won't know for sure till I can measure it and put it into CAD.

Rear end search....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the ZJ rear discs have to be really close to the Rubi stuff....

Well, it looks like you would have to have a new rear shaft that was drilled to 5 on 5.5. Thinking about it, I might have heard of someone doing just this. I can't remember if it was on a rubi though. Anyone?

If you had a 5 on 5.5 rear axle and a redrilled rotor it looks like it would work???? Cool....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LimeRubi said:
It looks like I might need to have a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern to run the wheels I really want with the backspacing I need. Sooooo

Is there any way to convert the Rubi to 5 on 5.5 without having to use the WARN kit that adds something like .5-.75" width to each side?

I was thinking something along the lines of redrilling the front unit-bearings and discs and rear axle flanges and discs? Has anyone else thought about doing this?

If someone can post up the overall dia of the unit-bearing flange and rear axle flange I can plug it into CAD and see if there will be enough room?

Any other thoughts???
What size of back spacing are you planning on running....Sorry but what is you reason for such a big mod?

cheers

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would really like to run the new hutchinson 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. The problem is that the only 5 on 4.5 wheel they are going to make is 3.62" backspacing...too little for me. I like the tires sucked in just a little more than that. Its all a personal preference thing...so I have to run a 5 on 5.5 pattern without gaining width in the axle.

If you don't know that the Hutchinson wheel is check out the newest 4wheel and offroad. They FINALLY got an article out on the 17s. The 15s are going to be out soon. I have been waiting for these wheels for about two years now!!!! Double beadlock, DOT legal, Aluminum....

Hutchinson wheel specs...

"The first available wheel is a 15x8J, -.92 offset, 3.62 backspace,
5H-4.5,
3.2 bore, stud pilot, for Jeep Wrangler
This will be followed by 15x8J, -0.05 offset, 4.50 backspace, 5H-5.5,
bore, stud pilot, for Jeep Wrangler
We will also provide a 17x8.5J, 0.71 offset, 5.56 backspace, 8H-6.5,
bore, stud pilot, for Truck & H2 Hummer"

They are a little heavy, but I am working on a lighter beadlock ring idea that should cut the wieght down a little.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What size tire are you looking at running....If you are going to 33's or bigger then you are going to want bigger backspacing. I am running 3.75 and I still rub on the CA's at full turn. Personally I would go with the 3.62 but it depends on your tire size...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah, I can't see running anything in the standard 12.50 and wider range with another more than 3.75" backspacing

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHHHHH.....

The much debated TJ/XJ backspacing problem.

All of this is based mostly on personal preference. I don't think that there is any way to build a jeep that is 100% correct or perfect. Everyone has different tastes and different wants out of there builds....

I have found that higher backspacing on TJs works very well. Less wheelbearing problems, and better steering. The stock Rubi wheels are 8" wide with 5" backspacing. There are quite a few people running 305s and 315s without too many problems. AEV also has there wheels ordered with a very high BS. There newest wheels are 4.70" BS and designed around running the 315/75/16s.

You are correct, you will get some rubbing on the lower control arms in front, but you can dial out a little bit with the steering stops. With most aftermarket control arms being round and mostly smooth it doesn't really hurt to have light rubbing at full lock.

I don't like having a wide jeep. I am doing everything I can to keep the overall width and height to a minimum for a 35" tire. I wil give up flex beyond a 1000 on a 20 degree to have a low CG.

Like I said...its all personal preference.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hmm, I would think the opposite when it came to width. I can always deal with my tires being 6-8 inches wider than stock. It's more stable that way and helps prevent rollovers. It is of course personal preference though.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Like you said it is personal preference but it seems to me that you are going to spend a **** load of $$ on a set up to save your self 2" of width...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2" of width means new fender flares, slightly less wheelbearing life, worse scrub radius....

But your right....its a pain. In the long term however I don't think its going to cost much more. The only real cost is the rear axles ( which it sounds like would most likely get upgraded anyways. The machining wouldn't cost that much to have done.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
HOLY VAMPIRE

Do you ever cut your fingernails???

My advice is this,

Find another set of rims that you like just as much or almost as much

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice, that was helpful.....

Maybe I should just build it like everyone else....

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
If you really like those rims that much, then it is your jeep and you should customize it however you like. Don't worry what the rest of us say.
I think we all just agree that for rims,
WHEEEEWWWW that is a ton of work. I would have to think you could find something that fits with the backspacing you want and which you think looks super slick.
The other thing is, if you do all this work, you really have eliminated alot of your warranty because of all the changes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Backspacing

WOW - what a discussion over a couple of inches!!! I am running 35x12.5s on 3 5/8" backspacing and am not having any problems - no rubbing, etc. As for changing wheel bearings - this is a fairly straight forward operation - much easier and cheaper than a full axle swap. Sure, ball joint life may be a little longer with a larger backspacing but think of the mechanics of the leverage - 35" tires put a lot of strain on the bearings and ball joints off road regardless of the backspacing. Sure, I had to go to wider flares (Bushwacker) but they actually look better than stock. My Rubi is 2-3 inches wider than before but given the fact I am at 5" of lift, the extra width helps stability. So far, the extra width has not stopped me from going anywhere nor has it affected by turn radius from what I can tell.

Just my 2 cents worth.........The freedom we enjoy here in the USA!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
here's my plan to go to 5 on 5.5, i was building a couple of 44's to go into my 2000 tj but it's gone so i have some parts. i have a set of flat top knuckles and spindles from an old j series truck and i have a set of '85 bronco hubs and '79 bronco front rotors, callipers and shoes are '82 wagoneer which is the axle i was working on. my reason for going this route on my rubi is to obtain dana 44 outers and use hi steer components to maintain steering geometry. my only real concern is additional track width and maybe ball joints. for the rear a call to moser is a sure solution, any input would be appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts