Rubicon Owners Forum banner

5.3l gen 3 in my LJ

15K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  johncanfield 
#1 ·
well, both my LJs have issues with the PCM (locker heater and evap not ready). In Texas, 2 not ready means you fail inspection. After many months of trying to get them Tagged since moving here, I decided to have the 4L replaced with a 5.3l V8. Texas Truck Works is doing the work with a complete Novak kit. I will keep you updated.

#3 ·
The 02 heater code is/was a known issue on some '05 - '06 that were wired wrong from the factory. Apparently, mine had that code for ten years before an evap to go with it became a problem and I became aware of it.

Simple fix per the TSB though. Took me about 20 minutes.

Here's a copy of the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10064540-0335.pdf

Only applies to '05 - '06 and doesn't matter to you anymore anyway (congrats on the LS...). But for anyone else that bumps against it, easy fix.

- DAA

#4 ·
well just got the call that the first one is almost ready. Problem is the tags are expired due to not passing inspection, and the government is shut down, so can't get a tag now...

Reactions: mac and Norminator
#5 ·
We were able to register a car and get a tag about three or four weeks ago in Kerr county but we had been there before the shutdown and had filled out paperwork, but the car wasn't listed in the state database yet so we had to wait a few days. We put all of the completed paperwork in their internal mailbox and had our tags about a week later. Call your county tag office - they might be able to work with you.

Reactions: mac
#6 ·
Thanks John, TJ is plated in Texas, so no real rush to tag it. Have to do itin person since I have to bring in the title and stuff.

#7 ·
I am interested in hearing more on your opinion after the swap. Are your 2 jeeps for the swap, manual or auto?

#8 ·
Both are 6 speeds and going to Autos, would have preferred to stay manual but it really was not an option.

#14 ·
You'll have to "help" it blow up...the 4.0 is pretty tough

#17 ·
Rebuild low mileage engine and new transmission, both from Novak.

#19 ·
Hey Brian, welcome back. Where are you at now?

#21 ·
Ok, I am in Houston now. Next time I am in the area, we should grab dinner again, it has been awhile.

#23 ·
so a year later...how are things with the swap. did the swap keep the cruise control? did you go aftermarket gauges?

#24 ·
Factory gauges, gm computer to jeep computer. Had some minor issues, mostly little things that were fixed under warranty. Cruise works...

#25 ·
I know this is an old post, but what kind of mpgs are you getting with your swaps? I have a 06 5.3 swapped LJR on 05 Super Duty Axles and 37's. I get about 11mpg mix of city and hwy. I have a 99 XJ that I'm looking to do a swap on and make into more of a DD. As you have 2 swapped, one as a DD and one as more of a trail rig, I'm just wondering if there is a big milage difference between the two.

#27 ·
I get aboyut 10 highway and 13 city with 4.88 ears and 12 highway /15 city with 4.10 gears . Both with 35s. I am swapping the 4.88 gears to 4.10 gears, way too high rpms on the highway. for 35s, 4.10 gears seems to be the sweet spot. Will you upgrade axles on the XJ? the 30/35 combo will twist like twizlers.

Reactions: johncanfield
#28 ·
BTW, I am not too far away, just north of Houston.

#29 ·
I still have the HP Dana 30/ Chrysler 8.25 with the 29 spline shafts. I’m gona sleeve, truss, and do Chromoly Shafts in the front, there rear will get hardened shafts and a truss. It will be on 33’s and will be will rarely be driven on trails. Yea, you are about 5 hours away. The shop that did your swaps, would you recommend them? Im looking for a different shop to do my XJ swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.