Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, both my LJs have issues with the PCM (locker heater and evap not ready). In Texas, 2 not ready means you fail inspection. After many months of trying to get them Tagged since moving here, I decided to have the 4L replaced with a 5.3l V8. Texas Truck Works is doing the work with a complete Novak kit. I will keep you updated.

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
Hey Mike, glad to have to back. My LJ is registered in Florida (no state inspections), I have no idea if it would pass here in Texas. Anxious to hear about the conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
The 02 heater code is/was a known issue on some '05 - '06 that were wired wrong from the factory. Apparently, mine had that code for ten years before an evap to go with it became a problem and I became aware of it.

Simple fix per the TSB though. Took me about 20 minutes.

Here's a copy of the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10064540-0335.pdf

Only applies to '05 - '06 and doesn't matter to you anymore anyway (congrats on the LS...). But for anyone else that bumps against it, easy fix.

- DAA

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well just got the call that the first one is almost ready. Problem is the tags are expired due to not passing inspection, and the government is shut down, so can't get a tag now...

Reactions: mac and Norminator

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
We were able to register a car and get a tag about three or four weeks ago in Kerr county but we had been there before the shutdown and had filled out paperwork, but the car wasn't listed in the state database yet so we had to wait a few days. We put all of the completed paperwork in their internal mailbox and had our tags about a week later. Call your county tag office - they might be able to work with you.

Reactions: mac

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were able to register a car and get a tag about three or four weeks ago in Kerr county but we had been there before the shutdown and had filled out paperwork, but the car wasn't listed in the state database yet so we had to wait a few days. We put all of the completed paperwork in their internal mailbox and had our tags about a week later. Call your county tag office - they might be able to work with you.
Thanks John, TJ is plated in Texas, so no real rush to tag it. Have to do itin person since I have to bring in the title and stuff.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I am interested in hearing more on your opinion after the swap. Are your 2 jeeps for the swap, manual or auto?

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both are 6 speeds and going to Autos, would have preferred to stay manual but it really was not an option.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well forgot to post pics...

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do it and never look back... black is undergoing it now....

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
Mike - are you having a shop doing the conversion? I keep waiting on my I6 to blow up but it keeps on going.

·
3,464 Posts
Mike - are you having a shop doing the conversion? I keep waiting on my I6 to blow up but it keeps on going.
You'll have to "help" it blow up...the 4.0 is pretty tough

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I am having a shop do it. The kit from Novak only come with a 3 year warranty if professionally installed. The labor was only a minor part of the cost, but the expertise and warranty is well worth it. The do many V8 conversions a year. The good part is I have a relatively low mileage I6 (75k miles) if you ever blow yours up.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rebuild low mileage engine and new transmission, both from Novak.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Brian, welcome back. Where are you at now?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts