Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 5.38 Revolution gear and pinion put in, about 3 years ago (so it's outside of the warranty!). After some grinding noise that went along with the rotation of the wheels, I popped the rear diff cover to find a lot of metal in there. I put the cover back on, took it to a different shop than the one that installed the gear and had them look to make sure everything was installed properly, it was. They're telling this is what happens when you put a 5.38 in a Dana 44. They're recommending that I drop down to a 4.88 and change the gearing in the TCase (?).

It's an 05 tj rubi with 70,000 miles on it. There are maybe 15,000 miles on the new gears. I've wheeled it maybe twice. I mostly wheel in rocks, cause that's what Colorado has.

My questions are:
1) Did I just get unlucky and I should replace the 5.38 with another 5.38?
2) I live and wheel in Colorado, wouldn't 4.88 be too high? My biggest issue is that I have a manual & I'm attempting to not burn up the clutch in the rocks.
3) Anyone heard of regearing the TCase?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wouldn't run a 5.38 in a 44. The pinion is too small. Now I see a lot of people who do and have no problems so no answer will be correct, you'll have to decide.
Your rubicon tcase has a 4:1 low I don't think you can get lower gears? There is a add on but appears to be for automatics only. Rubicrawler. The other option is a atlas.
If you regear you'll have to do both, cheaper just to do the front.

·
Administrator
10,555 Posts
I had 5.38 Revolution gears in my G2 44 axle (basically a drop-in replacement for a TJ/LJ D44) and never had any problems but I didn't put too many hours on it before I went to a Rock Jock D60. I have a Rubicrawler and it's a great option for really low gearing. When I'm in 4WD low and 1st gear (auto tranny) with the Rubicrawler engaged I cannot stop by brake pressure. The transfer case in the Rubicon is 4:1, I've never heard of regearing the case.

If your driving style in the rocks includes a lot of throttle, that might have been a big factor in your gear failure. Before you do anything, talk to Revolution and get their opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
1,370 Posts
I can’t imagine having my 04 TJ on 37s. If I did, I’d have to stretch it and add Dana 60s. I’ve gone up and down ledges with 33s where I would have endo’d forward or backward on 37s unstreched.

Something else to consider with breakage is any weight added by skids, tire carriers, or a winch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts