Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coming in 2 weeks to the jeep.. :D it's going to be wonderfull.. oh and a new yukon rear locker instead of the factory air locker.. :lildevil:

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't need to lower it.. then the 37's won't fit..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
UPPIDYCON said:
i don't need to lower it.. then the 37's won't fit..
Considering you've got 3.75" of lift more than me I'd disagree bud. I can drop mine another inch and will if I can distract Jimmy long enough to steal the OME lift out of his garage.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
hey no midnight shopping in my garage lol

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grizzly yukon.. it's like the detroit.. my buddy recommends the yukon over the detroit..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I run it and love it. It doesn't seem to have the quirks of a Detroit on the street, but still locks solid. And I got it for $500 new.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just put 5.13s in mine and its awesome offroad. On the street, the gears are pretty short, but then again I built it to crawl not dd around town.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
With an Auto, you couldn't give me a better set up than the 5.13s! I don't own a trailer queen and used the set up, for 200 mile commutes, this yr for over 4 months running on 35s. 15 mpg was easily attainable on a drive train that had over 100K on it. Sweetpee, who is a club member, runs them on a 5 speed Rubi and he is quite satisfied with them and his is no queen either.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i can't wait to run them on my trailer queen.. i put it on 35's after owning it a year and a few months.. then went to 37's a year ago..

·
Registered
256 Posts
f9k9 said:
With an Auto, you couldn't give me a better set up than the 5.13s!
Ditto. I'm quite happy with using 5.13s with my 33" tires. On the other hand, and I know you already know this, F9k9, be aware that you will be greatly increasing the speed of your driveline components. If you don't have everything perfectly aligned and balanced, you will start to pick up driveline vibes starting around 60 MPH if you go that fast. That's especially true on the front DS which is long and heavy. A lot of us have this problem, and it seems to be a well kept secret for some reason. See this thread as an example: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70922

I'm battling the issue right now myself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. I don't think there is anyone that was ever able to fix this problem so far... Still, picking between the 513s with a small amount of vibes and no 513s. I would go with those gears all day long.

KingRubiconMan said:
f9k9 said:
Ditto. I'm quite happy with using 5.13s with my 33" tires. On the other hand, and I know you already know this, F9k9, be aware that you will be greatly increasing the speed of your driveline components. If you don't have everything perfectly aligned and balanced, you will start to pick up driveline vibes starting around 60 MPH if you go that fast. That's especially true on the front DS which is long and heavy. A lot of us have this problem, and it seems to be a well kept secret for some reason. See this thread as an example: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70922

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Squint said:
I was going to say the same thing. I don't think there is anyone that was ever able to fix this problem so far... Still, picking between the 513s with a small amount of vibes and no 513s. I would go with those gears all day long.

KingRubiconMan said:
f9k9 said:

Actually here are MANY folks who have balanced this out just fine without issue and have no vibes with 5.13's. Trick is they did the work to get it right. What most fail to realize is that the shaft MUST be balanced properly at high rpms if you're going to run gears this deep. At a ratio like this, the drive shaft is spinning at it's critical shaft limit where vibes will be found quite easily. Most aftermarket shaft builders do not spin up fast enough for the daily driver street/off-road rig that runs highway speeds with 5.13 gearing. 3000 or 3500 rpms is NOT enough and you must spin balance at faster rate of 4000 or more to get it true, and vibe free. The majority of off-road rigs with deeper gears aren't worried about 70mph highway speeds. Their shafts never get spun that fast so they don't realize the vibes that can ensue. Shaft builders build for the masses, and unfortunately a rig built for both off-road use AND street-ability is of the minority. This is one of many reasons I prefer and recommend local shaft builders as opposed to buying a big-name out of box shaft. Contrary to popular belief there is more that goes into a shaft than just some tube, yokes and joints. What do you do with your daily driver when the aftermarket big name shaft still vibes and must be sent back for work? Local boys are usually in and out the same day in a matter of hours... Just like a good tire balance where "close" is NOT close enough, same holds true for driveshafts.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
KingRubiconMan said:
f9k9 said:

I have a "noise" issue now that I can't run down but, I ran 75 mph on two hundred mile round trip commutes, for four months, earlier this year, without any vibe issues but, I was on 35s. That meant slower shaft rpm and I did follow the thread you linked from this forum and the other forum.

I'm just running from one issue to the next, at this point. I have learned to expect them with a lifted 7 yr old rig, with over 100K on the ticker, that is a DD and wheeled on rock. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote='05TJLWBRUBY]
Squint said:

KingRubiconMan said:
f9k9 said:

Actually here are MANY folks who have balanced this out just fine without issue and have no vibes with 5.13's. Trick is they did the work to get it right. What most fail to realize is that the shaft MUST be balanced properly at high rpms if you're going to run gears this deep. At a ratio like this, the drive shaft is spinning at it's critical shaft limit where vibes will be found quite easily. Most aftermarket shaft builders do not spin up fast enough for the daily driver street/off-road rig that runs highway speeds with 5.13 gearing. 3000 or 3500 rpms is NOT enough and you must spin balance at faster rate of 4000 or more to get it true, and vibe free. The majority of off-road rigs with deeper gears aren't worried about 70mph highway speeds. Their shafts never get spun that fast so they don't realize the vibes that can ensue. Shaft builders build for the masses, and unfortunately a rig built for both off-road use AND street-ability is of the minority. This is one of many reasons I prefer and recommend local shaft builders as opposed to buying a big-name out of box shaft. Contrary to popular belief there is more that goes into a shaft than just some tube, yokes and joints. What do you do with your daily driver when the aftermarket big name shaft still vibes and must be sent back for work? Local boys are usually in and out the same day in a matter of hours... Just like a good tire balance where "close" is NOT close enough, same holds true for driveshafts.

Best of Luck,

Mike[/quote]

So 05TJLWBRUBY, I'd love to know which of our local shops you used. I need a new front driveline. I have 35's and 5.13's and found that my trackbar bushing was shot, letting my front driveline hit the tranny (auto), it has a slight bend which may or may not be from hitting the tranny, could have been a rock or two... Anyway, I have some vibration issues in the front and I'm starting with the driveline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts