Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please evaluate my situation here and tell me if i am being unreasonable:

i'll let everyone here decide.

1) bought a JKS adjustable track bar. part described as :
'84 - Present TJ,XJ w/0 - 3.5" Of Lift
'93 - '98 ZJ w/2"-3.5" Of Lift

2) i have only 2" of lift. the most respected shop in town told me i will have very bad clearance issues between the track bar and the differential if i install the track bar.

3) i contact the vendor (http://www.dimensionoffroad.com) and told him the problems and that i would probably need to return it. keep in mind he knew how much lift i had and i am pretty sure i mentioned it was a rubicon (pertinent because of how much larger the diff pumpkin is). but i am not 100% sure i told him, so that may be my fault.

3) he writes back saying i will have to pay a restocking fee

4) i write back asking how much the fee is and voiced my displeasure about paying a fee under these circumstances. i ordered the part both listed as for my vehicle and recommended by the vendor.

5) he writes back and says i ordered the wrong part and lists the correct part number and that we can switch it

6) i write back say "guess what, thats the part i have and it wont work"

thats where we are at right now. should i be ok with paying a re-stock fee when i ordered the part they said is right for my jeep and was recommended by the vendor? am i liable because i MAY not have clarified that it is for a D44. i dont know the $$ amount, but it is the principle ya dig?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Call back and ask to speak to the owner or manager who ever is higher then the guy you are dealing with. Any company that is selling a product should be knowledgable enough to know what they are selling and then to come back with you have the wrong part you need this one yet that is the one you have it sounds like this guy doen't know what the hell he is talking about as he should be able to see that on your order form.

Get to the top and then voice you displeasure with someone that is going to care about his biggest advertising scheme...WORD OF MOUTH.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dimension offroad is a one man online operation. unfortunately that one man is a big name in the offroad world (jim cole). he hosts a series of 4x4 videos and is a big shot with major manufacturers. he does a lot of R&D and product testing for them.

i dont think i could hurt his reputation.

G

·
0 Posts
If the part is said to fit your year jeep and it doesn't then my opinion is that you should get a full refund, NO restocking fee.

If the vendor doesn't want to help out then I would call the mfg. directly.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you talked to JKS? Ultimately, if they have told the guy that this track bar will fit your Jeep and it doesn't then it would seem to me that they would be responsible. Isn't there another thread talking about JKS not making a track bar for under 3" of lift?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure about another thread or not, but i have no idea how they can claim this one would fit - with NO lift. even if it were a D30 i dont think it would fit and not come in contact.

i keep asking dimension what the re-stock fee is and he doesnt say. so i will be shipping it back to the mfg directly (which is where it was shipped from) and we will see what the refund to my credit card is.

just curious if i was demanding too much from the vendor. thanks for the opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Sounds to me like the vendor had it dropped shipped from the mfg.
Sometimes the mfg will charge the vendor the restocking fee, and the vendor passes it along to the purchaser. Since JKS had nothing to do with the purchase, the vendor controls the amount you will get back on your credit card.

Sometimes you save a few dollars buying through the mail/online, but other times it is worth the extra dollars to buy locally, from someone with good customer service.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree, go to the top. But be nice, you get more flies with honey. Being a partsman myself I know that mistakes are made. If the packaging is still in good condition i.e not oil soaked or ripped up. If i think I can resell it and if the guy isn't a dick head I'm more likely to give him a refund without restocking charge. Restocking charge is for parts that can't be returned to the supplier or idiots that you don't want to return to your store. The counterman doesn't have the last say, talk to the manager and even the owner if you can.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I talked to Jim Cole before I purchased all of my JKS parts and he was less than friendly when I started asking questions, so I went with Dirk.

As for the front track bar hitting during full flex, I just put in a 3" lift and it looks like I will have plenty of clearance for that exact same track bar - there is just under 3" of clearance sitting flat. I don't have a digital camera so I can't show the clearance. I haven't flexed it completey yet due to a problem I created with my front bump stops, but as soon as I fix it, I will let you know.

I would also contact ORGS since they actually make the track bar and ask them if there are any known issues with the Rubicon.

Ken

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just dropped it off with UPS. we'll see if i get ALL my money back or not. i still dont know.

coupla notes to the replies:

- if i were dimension, i would have a beef with JKS about the product description. especially if they try to charge him for the restock fee.

- i think if i installed the JKS track bar, i would have less than 1.5" of clearance between the bar and diff. maybe my springs are prematurely sagging - but i really dont think so. i think it is just the jeep's tolerances.

- funny that you say jim didnt seem friendly on the phone. when i called to order he wanted to chit chat away, i thought he was really nice. what is kinda funy though is that when i try to corner him about what i did to warrant paying a restock fee, he can't come up with much. anyway, if i get the JKS arms i want, i will go with DPG or ORTS. they quoted $60 cheaper than dimension.

- lastly, i would LOVE to have a local place to buy all my parts. but the shop i like the best really over prices their stuff. example, everyone sells the new WARN D44 diff guard for about $65, this shop sells it for $89. thats kinda typical of their pricing. i think you probably know which place this is griz.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
- lastly, i would LOVE to have a local place to buy all my parts. but the shop i like the best really over prices their stuff. example, everyone sells the new WARN D44 diff guard for about $65, this shop sells it for $89. thats kinda typical of their pricing. i think you probably know which place this is griz.
Mike,

i usually got to a local 4x4 shop..
i know im paying a few bucks more..
the pain of dealing with out of town guy vs. the few bucks is priceless!

hope you get your money back..i think he owes ya!
mac`s .02

G

·
0 Posts
If you paid with a credit card, put the charge into dispute. Explain that you ordered in good faith and the product was misrepresented. You will likely win, and get everything including shipping. Only do this if you believe you a right. I have had a customer do this to me fraudulently, and they still got their money back, not to mention kept the product.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i thought about the charge back method on the credit card. we'll see how jim does, because i really dont want it to come to that. i hate to burn bridges in the small 4x4 community. i hear he is actually a pretty nice fellow and he did give me a screamin' deal on the Currie steering.

i also posted this on another board and the responses seem to be the same as you guys, that i shouldnt be charged. i think a portrayed what happened accurately (unbiased on my part) so hopefully jim will come to agree. in fact, i have his last email where he admitted that it isn't my fault, that it was "probabaly his."

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike,
from your postings i think you have given a good look into the world of
purchasing aftermarkt parts.
its all good untill sumthing doesnt fit or work as intended.
keep us informed on the final outcome.
i do hope you are not charged.
mac

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are willing to take a trip south, I highly recommend Predator 4WD in Colorado Springs as a potential 'local dealer'. They are getting very aggressive with their pricing- I bought my OME lift for less than I could get it even at DPG. They have excellent service, excellent installation, very good stock, and liberal return policy for most items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts