Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
4C?

Funny how a manual Jeeper is curious to know more about an auto. I guess trail knowledge is always great to have since there's so much that can go WRONG with these darn things. :)
Alfa Romeo 4C
The opposite of a rock crawler. Mid engine Dual Clutch auto/manual transmission with paddle shifters and 2 different launch controls

·
2,049 Posts
Yeah, you heard right. I’ll go get the link.

·
2,049 Posts
I posted a separate thread. I’ll go out shortly and look where your arrow points in my pictire.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here's a video of I made showing the shifter landscape of my 2004 TJ.
Again, I haven't done this...
is it possible that after loosening the nut and confirming the proper position at the transmission, (per the FSM directions), the spring is supplying tension on the cable via the pivot point and is now positioning the cable with the shift lever?
It would seem that this would be the point of adjustment that is set after retightening the nut to maintain the adjustment.

·
2,049 Posts
Sounds plausible to me. Just listening to you saying that, opened my mind more about the spring. I guess Johnnyairtime has nothing to lose and we benefit from his need and experience. Thanks ahead of time John :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here's a video of I made showing the shifter landscape of my 2004 TJ.
Well shoot... All that, and no "adjuster nut" on the cable where you'd think it'd be. Thanks a bunch for the video, as I know it's time consuming to get it all apart and video. Much appreciated. Sorry for the wild goose chase, I was sure there had to be adjustment up front of the mechanism. I guess my memory isn't too good, huh?! LOL.

So, they must be talking about "that nut", and tightening it to the proper torque.

... I did loosen that nut, and 'somehow' adjusted the mechanism to allow me to drop it into 1st (as I said, in a parking lot in Moab). But, I could see at the time it wouldn't hold my adjustment as it wasn't a cure all to the issue. Or it wasn't done properly, hence it not working to this day.

I'll pull it apart this weekend, and look at what I did last time closer (not in a rush). It was a year ago... so, I'm sure once I get my head back in there I'll remember what I did (I hope)... and, of course try and video the procedure and what actually works to adjust the apparatus.

I'm overly appreciative of you for taking all this time. Nice to know others are as curious and driven as myself! ;)

~Johnny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey folks...

SO... I leave for Moab tomorrow, and yes... I waited until THIS AM to check it out.

I've already repaired my Currie Currectlync steering, my custom track bar with Johnny Joints, and am waiting on overnighted RCV boots (one was cracked).... so, this was last on my priority list.

It's FIXED.

What did I do????
I simply exposed the shifter mechanism in the center console. And did... just as previously mentioned to "loosen the nut", and adjust the linkage. I did that before... however, didn't tighten the nut enough I'd guess, as the silver linkage that connects the cable assembly and below the nut... moves! Albeit... only an 1/8th of an inch or so, but that's all I needed to be as-if I TIGHTENED or removed the slack in the cable. In doing so, I tightened the nut using my NASA calibrated right hand and wha-la... DONE!! Easy peasy!!!!

So thanks a BUNCH for helping me out with this. I really appreciate you guys, and the info ya'all share.

... now, to wait on Fedex for those boots so I can get'er loaded up!!!

I can't load up in this condition. LOL!

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive tire

Dishware Creative arts Serveware Red Pottery

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Did RCV warranty the boots?
No, but I didn't ask them to. Are they lifetime warrantied... and should I have asked? ... I thought I've read in other forums, where some people have had them crack after a short period, and hoped they were warrantied. They didn't really update, so I wasn't sure.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts