Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...

I've googled this until I'm blue in the face.
Found all kinds of pictures, video, etc on the 32 trans. And lots of fixes for the bushing that pops off.... but, NOTHING on how to adjust the trans shift cable.

2005 LJR

I can tell you... it is NOT this adjustment type;

I should go out and take a picture, but it's hard to get to... as it's behind a bracket bolted to the trans housing.

Last trip to Moab... I tried to adjust the cable/linkage from behind the interior selector cover plate. It worked for a minute, then went right back to where it was. Not really the proper way to "adjust", but it confirmed my test.

ANYONE have a picture or explanation as to how to ADJUST the cable tension??

... HELP!!! Time to get'er adjusted as Moab's coming up again!! ;)

·
2,047 Posts
I have an 04 FSM and I couldn't find anything about adjustment, only removal and installation. The only time I lost a section of my shifter was when the rod snapped in the T-handle. After that, I know a bunch of 05 and 06 TJ's that had locked up shifting because of the Transmission Control Module in the PCM. All these possibilities require replacement of the failed part and not any adjustment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 04 FSM and I couldn't find anything about adjustment, only removal and installation. The only time I lost a section of my shifter was when the rod snapped in the T-handle. After that, I know a bunch of 05 and 06 TJ's that had locked up shifting because of the Transmission Control Module in the PCM. All these possibilities require replacement of the failed part and not any adjustment.
Thanks, but that's not my issue.

As I stated, the cable length/tension is my issue as I was able to cure the problem by playing with the cable length under the center console gear selector cover.

... just need to know/see if it's "adjustable".

I'm going out to (to the garage) to grab a picture of my cable and mount at the trans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While you‘re there, manhandle the linkage. Maybe you’ll feel some slop from wear.
LOL... well, there's slop... but, how much is "normal"?! Kind of hard to manhandle it when you have nothing to compare to or how to determine WHAT to manhandle. I need something more 'service manual' oriented. Something more official. :D

·
2,047 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. I know it's unrelated, but my door lock on the driver's side wouldn't lock via the toggle button. Only locked with the key. That all turned out to be "slop." Putting in "new" tightened it up and fixed the problem. It doesn't take much.
To your issue...I didn't see adjustment in the 04 FSM. I hear your frustration at searching for help with no success. When is your trip?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the FSM:

(pictures deleted)

Sounds like the adjustment nut is under the center console.
I couldn't find any diagrams to go along with the instructions.
Hmmm... so, the "nut" is the adjustment and it needs to be torqued at 105 INCH pounds.

Sure wish there was a diagram for that... however, I'll crack it open again and take a closer look. I did it in the parking lot of the Big Horn Lodge in Moab, as others were waiting on me to head out to the trail (in Moab).

I'll give'er a go here in my home shop... where I'm not rushed, have better lighting and can take more apart.

Thanks FLLJ!

I'll report back once I hopefully figure it out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hmmm... so, the "nut" is the adjustment and it needs to be torqued at 105 INCH pounds.

Sure wish there was a diagram for that... however, I'll crack it open again and take a closer look. I did it in the parking lot of the Big Horn Lodge in Moab, as others were waiting on me to head out to the trail (in Moab).

I'll give'er a go here in my home shop... where I'm not rushed, have better lighting and can take more apart.

Thanks FLLJ!

I'll report back once I hopefully figure it out.
I've never done it before so just trying to go by what it sounds like it's saying (mine was the six speed manual).
it sounds like you verify positioning at the transmission and then the nut is used to keep it in that location. IDK

renglish would be the best resource.

·
2,047 Posts
Now that I ripped apart my console, I’ll check my trans temp gauge ground and clean under there tomorrow.

·
2,047 Posts
I had the console up, but only seemed to see where the cable sleeve was anchored to the body. I’ll pull it all the way tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,477 Posts
Is that the nut? I assumed we were talking auto….
Nope it was the person sitting in your driver seat that took the picture.
:ROFLMAO:
This is literally my only contribution to this thread, as I have never own an automatic jeep, and there is no way I am touching the one in the 4C.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. I am at least curious about this now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did this just start out of the blue?
Do you have a body lift that was recently installed?
no...

It was problematic for a long while. But, I could get it into 1st with little effort.

Then...
I lost the white bushing (it failed/broke) on the trail (disco'd cable at trans).

I then replaced the bushing, and noticed I wasn't able to drop it into 1st when descending a steep grade/road/etc.

I was able to finagle the cable from under the shifter cover and get it to shift into first when testing in the parking lot. But, later on... I lost the ability as it wasn't the correct way to adjust.

I've since, removed the white bushing and through bolted the end of the cable at the trans. But still unable to get it to drop into 1st. Hence, my quest to ADJUST THE CABLE tension/length and get it to work correctly.

... no body lift, no changes to the Jeep other than already mentioned. I would have stated it, if I thought it contributed to the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
........... as I have never own an automatic jeep, and there is no way I am touching the one in the 4C.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. I am at least curious about this now
4C?

Funny how a manual Jeeper is curious to know more about an auto. I guess trail knowledge is always great to have since there's so much that can go WRONG with these darn things. :)

·
2,047 Posts
Heck, I just learned on another thread that auto Rubis came with a 3.73 or a 4.10 option. I was about ready to think he was trolling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts