Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2005 unlimited rubi sahara. i got a linked buggy on tons and 42's, so the rubi will see little if any off road action. any action it sees will be super mild. its just a toy the wife mostly drives.

i want to run a fairly lightweight 37" radial at on the factory moabs.
the lowest gear i can get in my rubi axles is 5.13. the od ratio of the 42re is .69.

who runs this combo and how does it work for you. mainly it needs to be good on the hiway.

parts distruction is a non-issue.

thx!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know the search doesn't respond well to something like "5.13 and 37's", but if you take a look at threads like the aev highline thread--you'll see a ton of guys that posted pics of their rigs on 37's, naturally with 5.13's for most of them-and that might give you a few guys you could pm directly for their long term opinions if you don't get all the reassurance you need from this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I ran 37" MTR's (more like 35" to 36" tall) with 4:88 gears with an auto transmission. On flat ground, it was okay but wouldn't pull any hill without downshifting.

Since then, I've upgraded to 5:38 gears and like the ratio better. It cruises down the highway nicely, and will pull the hills easier. Off road, you can tell a difference between the two.

Go the most you can get. Don't think twice, go with the 5:13's. You will not be happy with anything less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2250 rpm's at 70 with 37's and 5.13's
2146 rpm's at 70 with 31's and 4.10's

its close to stock. i know i want more cause of tire weight/size/rolling resistance ect.

im gonna look at 36's.
my spare is a 12/37 swamper irok radial. i was thinking of buying 4 more?
dont the swamper iroks run pretty small? i thought their 37 was like 35.5ish?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
If your not going to wheel it much I would go 35s. There is a big price difference in replacing a set of tires between 35s and 37s. The difference is not that noticeable. I run the 37 MTR Kevlars and they are heavy. They are a true 37 when new, my spare is old MTR never on the road and its only about 36. I haven't done gears and just shift a little more frequently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts