Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get new wheels and thought about putting 35s on them. Currently on 33s. Here are some pictures of the garage with the Jeep's front and back in the doorway. I do have a rake from back to front. The entrance sill is 6 inches from the top of the back of the hardtop. What do you think? Would 35s work?

·
Registered
558 Posts
35's only lift the jeep up 1 inch. So the garage would work but how about the Jeep. If it were mine and I liked the set up I would stick with what I had. If you go 35's are you going to have to modify lift, change gears etc.

·
Administrator
10,993 Posts
Some 35" tires aren't really 35", you need to check the specs for the particular tire. I would also check the specs for your current 33s so you can make a more accurate evaluation of height change. If you had a TJ, I would also suggest sticking with 33s, however since you have the LJ 35s add quite a bit of capability for rock crawling. Sometimes an inch more clearance makes a big difference doing an obstacle.

If you don't have a tummy tuck, I recommend starting there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I got BF Goodrich on now and will probably stick with those if I upsize. I'll have to visit a store and talk with someone about it.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
You are measuring from the flat part of the roof, measure from the top of the ribs on the roof. It's going to be close. You might also be able to adjust the upper travel stop on your garage door opener so the bottom of the door travels a little farther up the track and give you more clearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are your 33's pretty worn down? Going from worn out 33's to brand new 35's will make a pretty good jump, probably closer to 2 inches.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too see that the garage door could travel a bit further up. I have 80% thread left on the tires. Going from 17 inch wheels to 16 inchers so need new tires. I got it all set up for 35s; lift, gears. My front u joints squeak and need new ball joints so going to have fun and do some maintenance and upgrades up front since I need to tear into it anyway. I've been saving up for this me time, took a week off of work. Same efficacy as counseling but just as expensive so I'll choose to work on the jeep. But hey I'll talk to the dogs as I work...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts