Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on running 35's on a Rubi without changing out the gears. For my application it will be with a 1" BL, 1", ML, and probably the 4.5 SF package off 4x4groupbuy.com's site. Now, I've heard pro's and con's both ways and also recommendations as to whats best to go to be it 4.56 or 4.88 but so far everyone I know locally that has a RUbi with 35" tires has not changed the gears out. They do however differ from me by having the manual vs. the automatic trans. The consensus was they got more use with 4.11 and 35's in low range then they did with the stock tires. Some even finally use low range as 1st and 2nd was so low for alot of applications that they almost were never used. So, let the debate begin please :roll:

·
Registered
467 Posts
i just put on 35" tires friday. i still have stock gears, an auto tranny, the 4.5 " RE SF, and a BL. so we are pretty comparable. on the street, it is a noticable difference from the 33's, but tolerable. i did some moderate wheeling on sunday and it still did pretty well. since it wasn't overly challenging terrain i will reserve judgement on the stock gears and 35" tires combo.

G

·
0 Posts
I like it stock gear'd and 35"'s... I have the auto also.

Still goes up the I-70 hill faster than at least 85% (Conservative percentage) of all others.

With the auto the crawl ratio seems great still....

I have no intention of changing the stock gearing, unless I make it trail use only, and I will go as rediculous as possible to maximize crawl ratio when/if I do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had 35's and stock gears with a manual trans for over one month now. I've done 3 4wd trips and I have no plans to change my gears. I only use 2hi or 4lo. In 4lo 2nd and 3rd are used exclusivly unless I am desending a steep hill or doing an RTI ramp then I use 1st gear. My milage did go in the tank after I put my 35's on but I don't drive my Rubicon everyday so it doesn't matter. I think I'm getting about 12 MPG, I should check it out....anyway if fuel mileage is a concern the lower gears might help. For offroad use the 4to1 in the tcase makes up for the larger tires.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i had 35's with the stock gears and the stick, just swapped in 4.88's and love them. I can go 75-80 down the highway in 5th(about 2700 rpms) and still crawl like mad. Usually start in 2nd now but the the low gears are great when jeepin.

G

·
0 Posts
>i had 35's with the stock gears and the stick, just swapped in 4.88's and love them. I can go 75-80 down the highway in 5th(about 2700 rpms) and still crawl like mad. Usually start in 2nd now but the the low gears are great when jeepin.
>
>

Do you feel it helped your fule consumption significantly? Now that would sway me as I like trails in other states, and I like to drive it to the trail head.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i haven't figured out as milage yet. I'll pay attention this next tank and let you know.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am running a true 35" tire (1" bigger that MTR's) and I am still using stock gearing. I find that as long as I am doing 70mph my revs are high enough that I can take a good size grade up hill without loosing to much power.

I went through the PA mountains back to Canada and I got an average of 15mpg on the highway.

Off road it awesome. Ratio's are really good.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I have 35s and stock gears.
It is more than acceptable and works pretty darn good offroad, albiet not as good as with 33s or with 31s.
Since it isnt too bad for road and really good offroad still, I have not made it a major issue but....
I would like to get back some power and gas mileage for the road
and I would like to be a crawl wh0re on the trails so I am going to be going with 4.88s as well. I debated going with 4.56s but decided that I wanted to compensate a little on the high side not only for the diameter but also for the weight of the new meats.

Not to mention, I miss cruise control. Without 5th gear, it isnt really useable.

For the guys who got the 4.88s, did you get the Yukon ones??

·
Registered
478 Posts
I my cruise all the time, I just manually shift the trans down for hills. It's not like it was before the 35's but it works good enough.

I like the fact that 35's with stock gearing allows me to maintain some wheel speed and momentum. I could not do either with the stock size tires.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Running 35" on Auto Rubi

Elff- What happens if anything to an auto trans if I run 35" tires, the trans defaults to overdrive anytime you drive it, to take off of overdrive you have to flick the switch.? What happens to cruise control as well?
Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Bill,

I have only owned one auto transmission vehicle in my life.
So unfortunately I do not have any info.
Mine is a 5 speed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gearing

I am running 35" x 12.5" MTRs and felt it to be a little sluggish in town - upgraded to 4.56 gears and they seem perfect for on and off road. Speedometer is dead on considering that the stock setup showed me going about 4 MPH slower than the speedometer read.

G

·
0 Posts
I also have 35x12.5 but according to my gps my speedo reads 5 mph slower at any speed over 40 mph. it was about 4 mph fast before.

I haven't had too may problems running with the stock gear and my eventually change to 4.88 but for right now and the type of driving I do the stock gearing isn't too bad. Definitely not as good as stock but it is definitely doable.

Towing an 8' utility trailer filled with camping gear I just switched off the overdrive and it worked great cruising at 70 mph I was turning about 3000 rpm. Without the trailer I can cruise at 70 mph witth the overdrive and turn about 2000 rpm. The cruise works fine but it does tend to shift a little more on any type of incline.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Actually it is better.

35s and 4.64 gears
would have you equal to
31s and 4.11 gears

4.88s are the cat's meow

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
elff said:
Actually it is better.

35s and 4.64 gears
would have you equal to
31s and 4.11 gears

4.88s are the cat's meow
You are right elff my speedometer is off my even more then before so it must be a little lower geared but not by much, it works well.

Jon

·
Registered
559 Posts
I run 35x12.5x15 on the stock gears and my jeep is a daily driver, it appears to be a bit sluggish but overall i am happy with it, but i do in the future plane to upgrade to the 4.56 or 4.88 gears.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We ran stock gears with 35s on both of our rubys (automatics) for about a year.

Stock gears were fine around town. OD was usless on the highway.

Trails were OK stock. Not enough crawl on the down hills for me.

We went to the 488s and just got back from Attica. Well worth the money to regear. Highway driving is much better and we can go slow on the down hills now. :D

Really wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be. We didn't drive them much stock. Both jeeps had less than 200 miles on them when we went to 35s. Just have to be ready for the down shift in 4 low.......it can try to push through the brakes.

Tim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts