Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sorry to bother you guys with such a basic question but I was looking to replace the 33's I have on my Jeep now and was presented with the chance to pick up a set of 35" MTRs with kevlar for the same price as it would have been for the 33's. My question is for members that have run 33's and 35's on their stock 4.10's. Did making the move from 33's to 35's really affect the drivability of the jeep? Was the a decent drop in MPG and power? I have been hearing mixed reviews and figured I would get a better idea asking people that have actually had experience with it. Also to provide a bit more info it is my daily drive and is a 6spd.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Before I purchased the 33s (285/75r16) for daily driving, I ran 35s (~34x12.5r15) around 100 miles a day (5speed btw). I could feel the power difference on the highway and the braking took a bit longer but I would not over think the deal just on those accounts. The mpg went from 13-14ish with 35s to 15-16 with the 33s.

·
3,368 Posts
I agree with Greg. Although I have not ran 33s, I of course ran the stockers and then went to the 35. It was a while before I did a gear change with the 35s. While running the 35s and 4.10 gears I never really thought it was that horrible of a problem. Now that might vary depending on where you live and the terrain. Off road I basically noticed anything was changed, the gearing in the TC in the rubi is so low that it is usually not an issue. On the road I had some changes, of course it would bog down more in 5th gear going up a good hill (5speed) but a down shift to 4th solved the issue. Braking did change, I still have not done anything to compensate for that. I don't feel unsafe at all either. And as Greg said, yes the gas milage changed. I don't remember what it was when it was JUST the tires that changed. Now it is about 12MPG, but I am loaded with heavier tires & wheels, and full armor so it is a lot more heavy!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The difference between the stock mtrs and 33s is noticeable, let alone jumping all the way to 35s. I ran 33x12.5x15 baja claws on Mickey Thompson Classic Lock IIs for 2 weeks and also ran some 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities for a month. There is a 1-2 mpg difference with those two let alone jumping up to 35s. I also found myself having to start out in first gear instead of finding first gear a bit too low and second not quite low enough.

If I was running 35s though I would probably just drive it like a 4 speed for awhile and forget 5th gear until after a regear.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Also, once you reach the 35" tire realm, you should think about upgrading the front and rear to chromoly shafts such are AlloyUSA or Superior along with getting the Vanco power brake kit for safety.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IT is ok, not ideal but doable. I would regear as soon as possible though. My tranny has taken a beating with it and now is having all sorts of issues. I think so many years of trying to find the right gear on hills and such.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a six speed, we put 35" tires on it as soon as we brought it home at a thousand miles. With the 4:10s I would use first gear, now that I'm running 37"s and changed my gears I never use first gear unless I'm off road and don't want to spill my spotters beer. I do drive as my DD. I live in Reno @ 4500 ft not flatland and get 14mpg in town my junk is 5500lbs with no gear. I have always ran Toyos MTRs I think it's the heaviest tire made. Hope this helps just my .02

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I ran 33s with 4.10s and a 5 speed for about 4 years. That combo actually worked pretty well. I could use 5th gear to cruse and use 4th gear when I needed the power to pull the hills. I could even pull most hills pulling my 2000 lb tent trailer in 4th gear.

When I switched to 35s that was all over. Now even when cursing along empty I would need to shift to 4th at every rise in the road. When pulling my tent trailer I could no longer pull most hills in 4th gear. It just seemed that the motor was struggling all the time.

I ended up going to 4.88s and it is now better than ever. It seems that when you go to 35s that is the breaking point. The point where you will need to make a lot of up-grades just to accommodate the tires IMHO.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
gregert12 said:
Also, once you reach the 35" tire realm, you should think about upgrading the front and rear to chromoly shafts such are AlloyUSA or Superior along with getting the Vanco power brake kit for safety.
Good advice to replace the axle shafts, I did my fronts when I went to 35's but I left my backs as stock, just figuring they are gonna be fine, well - nope, after my last trip on the rocks I bent my right rear axle shaft.

gonna replace them now.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The 35" MTRs are much closer to 34" on 15x8 wheels usually. With the 5 speed, I drove for years with the 4.10s. I think you'll have even less problems with the 6-speed. You will eventually want to regear but it's not something you have to rush to do. You can definitely leave it for later. It will really depend on what kind of terrain you drive (lots of hills or flat) and how you drive.

The good thing about wheels is they are also easily "undoable" where as once you mess with gears it's done. Having said that, overall I do like my 4.88s more now with the 5 speed and 35" MTRs though sometimes I also miss the 4.10's at high speed on the flat freeways. But around town and offroad, of course the 4.88s are much much better!

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
SweetPee said:
... it would bog down more in 5th gear going up a good hill (5speed)
but a down shift to 4th solved the issue.
Braking did change,...
This pretty much says it - if you adjust your shifting habits it's fine, but you also have to change your stopping habits.
If I had a stick - especially a 6 speed - I probably wouldn't have spent the money and made the commitment to a gear change.

With an automatic transmission and heavy 33x12.5" Toyos, the 5.13 gears let me enjoy
driving my jeep on the road again.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I have been running 35's with the stock 4.10's for the past year and a half with no problems. I live in the city and there are times that I wish I had gears but it is not really a true issue. I wheel HARD at Rausch Creek and have never encountered a situation where the 4.10's left me wanting deeper gears. Most of the time I leave it in 5th until I am on the highway and doing 70mph to put it into 6th gear. When I was stock I could barely use First and now I can because of the 35's. Once I move out of the city I will prob do a gear change to 4.88's or 5.13's.

As far as stopping is concerned, I have EBC Yellow's on the fronts and EBC Greens on the rear. HUGE difference from stock and a must with 35's unless you opt to switch to WJ knuckles, brakes, and calipers. Much safer vehicle all around,

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
SweetPee said:
I agree with Greg. Although I have not ran 33s, I of course ran the stockers and then went to the 35. It was a while before I did a gear change with the 35s. While running the 35s and 4.10 gears I never really thought it was that horrible of a problem. Now that might vary depending on where you live and the terrain. Off road I basically noticed anything was changed, the gearing in the TC in the rubi is so low that it is usually not an issue. On the road I had some changes, of course it would bog down more in 5th gear going up a good hill (5speed) but a down shift to 4th solved the issue. Braking did change, I still have not done anything to compensate for that. I don't feel unsafe at all either. And as Greg said, yes the gas milage changed. I don't remember what it was when it was JUST the tires that changed. Now it is about 12MPG, but I am loaded with heavier tires & wheels, and full armor so it is a lot more heavy!
x2..almost exactly my situation. I ran 4.10/35s/6-speed for 4 years..no problems at all. Power wasn't horrible; gears can wait if you have other things to upgrade (cage). I'd still start out in 2nd everywhere, and get to 6th at around 70mph. Now that's it not my DD, I have 5.13s. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have 35's with 4.88's. I found when i had stock gears and ran in the mud i could not use both lockers in high range because of the lack of power. Went to 4.88's and it helped alot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the great advice everyone. Just put on the 35's today and they feel pretty good so far with the 4.10s. Only had the chance to do back roads so no highway speeds just yet but still pretty pleased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am officially back to "MallCrawler" status! Now I need to install my BL and raise up the ACOS to give me back some room to flex. So far I am pretty hapy with them.....I even think there is a chance that it has improved my MPG but I will keep my fingers crossed and wait till the tank is empty.

Here are a few pics
Before (33's)

Now (35's)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jp90Talon said:
Well I am officially back to "MallCrawler" status! Now I need to install my BL and raise up the ACOS to give me back some room to flex. So far I am pretty hapy with them.....I even think there is a chance that it has improved my MPG but I will keep my fingers crossed and wait till the tank is empty.

Here are a few pics
Before (33's)

Now (35's)
Very NICE!!! :) What size rims are those again?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts