Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i install a RE 4.5" lift i can run 33's correct? thought so. wouldnt look too silly though would it?
Once those 33's run out and ive got some cash saved up for gears can i install 1" coil spacers on top of the lift to run 35's?
the reason i want to go 33 then 35 is its a little easier on my wallet this way than lift, 35's and gears all installed at once, plus im still working on skids, bumpers, and a winch. but does that plan sound okay? what else would i need? Id like to keep my stock rims too.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Savage said:
If i install a RE 4.5" lift i can run 33's correct? thought so. wouldnt look too silly though would it?
Once those 33's run out and ive got some cash saved up for gears can i install 1" coil spacers on top of the lift to run 35's?
the reason i want to go 33 then 35 is its a little easier on my wallet this way than lift, 35's and gears all installed at once, plus im still working on skids, bumpers, and a winch. but does that plan sound okay? what else would i need? Id like to keep my stock rims too.
Heres some anwsers to you questions....

<---33s on my Jeep-Yes you can run 33s with the RE 4.5 and it looks and rides great.

As far as the coil spacers on top of the RE 4.5 springs...it will not work. I was warned by the guy I bought my lift from not to do this b/c it will ride like crap. I think the only situation it may work in is if you have a Long Arm kit.

Other things you may need that dont come with the RE 4.5 SF kit are shock extensions(45$) and the rear track bar(130$).

If you want to run 35s with the RE 4.5 you will need a 1 in body lift (75$) also.

If you want to keep your stock rims, the 33s will fit fine on them, but I think you may need backspacing of some type with 35s to prevent rubbing.

Good luck and go for broke!LOL

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to have longer shock extensions with new shocks or if i use the stock ones?
im really trying to stay away from a body lift, but i guess its more cost effective to do one than to buy a bigger kit. Ive got the 5 spd and hear its a bit tough on the shifting but ive heard some solutions. There is no way im going to get into Motor mount lifts though.
Does the RE kit come with a new rear driveshaft?
You may be right on the long arm w/ coil spacers. All i did was go through other peoples signatures to see what they did to run 35's.
sounds like my plan will probably work out for me. who knows i may stop at 33's, but I wont count on it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Savage, a 1" BL is great for adding skids like a tank skid. I know... I don't like the looks either but a 1" looks fine and the benefits are great.

Pete, I know he's talking about wanting coil spacers to go bigger and I don't recommend that, but I ran coil spacers in the front of my 4.5" RE SF and it rode fine. I added them because the jeep sagged in the front and looked stupid (due to winch and other heavy stuff, I also had a hardtop and still needed them up front). Rode fine with the spacers and looked a lot better.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
bbusch said:
Savage, a 1" BL is great for adding skids like a tank skid. I know... I don't like the looks either but a 1" looks fine and the benefits are great.

Pete, I know he's talking about wanting coil spacers to go bigger and I don't recommend that, but I ran coil spacers in the front of my 4.5" RE SF and it rode fine. I added them because the jeep sagged in the front and looked stupid (due to winch and other heavy stuff, I also had a hardtop and still needed them up front). Rode fine with the spacers and looked a lot better.
Wow....your RE springs sagged in the front....?? I have an ARB Bull Bar and a Winch and have no sag...I would call RE and send those springs back!!!

Anyhow...Jerry advised me against doing 5.5 springs with my SF kit due to angles of the arms etc....this would be the same theory..check out the thread...
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB ... highlight=

Anyhow..good luck either way!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
i personally thought my jeep looked goofy on 33's with a 4.5" lift. i didnt realize until i saw my own jeep driving down the street. standing still and looking at it, i thought it was ok.

just a personal opinion. try it with 33's and see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Pete, they sure did, but that was a few years ago I no longer have that jeep. .75 coil spacers evened things out perfectly.

Mike, mine looked awesome but then again I was running tires that measured a true 33" on 8" wheels (many 33's don't measure 33"'s). 35's would have been too big they would have tore up my fenders, the 33's however had incredible flex.

Hard to tell but the gap in the rear is about the same when it sits level. Looks perfect if you ask me, JMHO.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically what im hearing is skip the spacers, go with a 1" BL 4.5 RE Suspension lift to clear 35's.
got any web sites for this stuff? All the Bl im seeing is 125$ or so. What can i do for the stick shift with the BL?

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Go with the tera 1" BL, it comes with everything you need including a t-case bracket (which works great!). Very nice BL and will last forever. It won't, however, help if you have any sag in the front, you will need spacers for the front if that occurs. Don't go with spacers tho if you want 35's, get some bumpstops so you don't mess up your fenders. Brian

Oh, go to Windrock off road you can get the lift here:

http://www.windrockoffroad.com/part_det ... artNo=BL1T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts