Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run 33' ( 285/75 ) with 2" suspension lift, and 1" bump stop ext.? any disadvantage in doing so ? Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
It would probably be just fine. I did my 1" Body lift at the same time I did my 2" Budget Boost though, running 33's it was pretty awesome and looked really great. You should get longer travel shocks to, so you actually get more travel out of the setup.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ran that setup for a little while before my body lift and I damaged my fenders after flexing a few times. If you are planning on running that setup offroad you WILL need a 1" body lift as well. Also, if you are putting a 2" spacer in you should put in a 2" bumpstop extension. I would put in 1" of washers or something and then put a hockey puck in the bottom. If you don't you are asking for spring sag. DC designed the system to have a certain amount of maximum compression and set the bump stops for that. If you push down the spring 2" and only put in a 1" BS extension, you will overcompress your spring by 1". That will cause your springs to weaken very quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
triver525 said:
I ran that setup for a little while before my body lift and I damaged my fenders after flexing a few times. If you are planning on running that setup offroad you WILL need a 1" body lift as well. Also, if you are putting a 2" spacer in you should put in a 2" bumpstop extension. I would put in 1" of washers or something and then put a hockey puck in the bottom. If you don't you are asking for spring sag. DC designed the system to have a certain amount of maximum compression and set the bump stops for that. If you push down the spring 2" and only put in a 1" BS extension, you will overcompress your spring by 1". That will cause your springs to weaken very quickly.
Thanks everybody. I'm no expert, but i was thinking the following: the 33 is only 1" higher than the 31" since only half goes up in fender, thus the 1" BS to compensate for that. The setup will have a 2" taller coil with corresponding shocks. so why should my spring compress to the point of hitting the bumpstop? Maybe I'm missing something, or calculating the wrong way. triver525, I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just I'm trying to find why would I touch. Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not saying you'll touch, I'm saying that you will overcompress your spring which is very bad for the spring. That is the biggest reason your bumpstop is there.

And yes, logic would tell you that if you increase your BS by 1", you could put on a 1" taller tire but I assure you, it took me the better part of a day to pound my fenders back into shape and they still aren't factory perfect. So I would recommend a 1" BS extension, a hockey puck and a 1" body lift. However, you always have to take advice/opinions on a message board with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You will touch your fenders because a 33x12.5" tire is wider as well as taller, and when flexing your tire is moving in an arc not straight up and down. Your overall track width is now wider, so when the axle twists the edge of the wide tire is higher than the edge of a narrow tire would be.

Did that make sense?

Anyway you need more like 1.5" extension in front. 1" is fine in back.
over compressing your springs will wear them out faster, but if they are new they will still last for years. When they do wear out just buy some stock springs from somebody doing a lift.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks triver525, and Mud Puppy. Yes it makes sense. I get your point. Most likely, I'll go with 2" suspension ( OME springs and shocks ), but 32" instead ( 265/75 ), and I guess no bumpstop extension needed for that setup, or do I still need BS you think?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The OME kit comes with bumpstop extensions. OME is an engineered kit so you won't have to worry about the BS being too short or long; the BS are designed for the springs. With the 32" tires, you won't have any worries about rubbing but I would seriously suggest going with 33s and doing a 1" body lift. You will never regret the extra tire height.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
triver525 said:
The OME kit comes with bumpstop extensions. OME is an engineered kit so you won't have to worry about the BS being too short or long; the BS are designed for the springs. With the 32" tires, you won't have any worries about rubbing but I would seriously suggest going with 33s and doing a 1" body lift. You will never regret the extra tire height.
I would like 33", but what worries me, I see a lot of people complaining of shifting in 2nd or 4th after body lift, even with MML.

·
Registered
186 Posts
True, after BL and MML I had shifter hitting when going into 2,4 and R. It was minimal and all I did was get rid of that thick rubber shifter boot and buy a leather replacement (wheelskins universal shifter boot). That seemed to eliminate all the problems. I have seen others bend the shifter slightly or move the console back a little. I agree though, that you should hold out for the 33s. That is what I did all my mods for and I'm just waiting for the $ to go to those size tires. BTW I have the OME suspension lift, and 1 1/4 BL and MML.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Those are extremely vehicle specific situations. I put in a body lift and had absolutely no problems. Then I put in the MML and had no real problems. Actually, after the BL, my t-case shifter worked better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any vibration from an OME 2" lift? I"ll enjoy lifting that T-case 2", and would prefer not to lower it with a lowering kit. ( unless I have to ).

·
Registered
454 Posts
No vibes for me. I will hopefully be lifting the t-case soon so we shall see if the Gremlins come and visit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK guys, one last question: how about if I went with 255/85-16 ( 33x10.5), will I be OK with OME HD 2" and 1" bumpstop, or I will still need body lift { I hate body lift ). Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
OME 2" is a good kit but if you want to get by without a body lift maybe you should buy a Black Diamond 3" lift instead; it's cheaper anyway. I would recommend that you get the OME long travel shocks instead of whatever shock Black Diamond sells (more options for later); I regret not getting them.

The BD system will probably allow you to get away without a body lift. However, I think a 1" BL actually makes things a little better. With a little work, you can tuck the gas tank up further (out of the way) and you can eventually do a belly pan which is worth its weight in gold (even though I don't have one yet).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts