Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Premium Member
TBD
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously I am just getting back into owning a TJ Rubicon and want to upgrade the rear axle shafts and use the stocks as spares.

Was the only difference between a Non Rubicon D44 Rear Axle shaft with 30 Spline and a Rubicon D44 the retaining plate? Basically due to the fact that Rubicon had rear disc brakes vs rear drum brakes?
But everything else, seal, bearing, bearing retainer, are the same?
Passenger side 29.75" Driver Side 29.25"
Granted the holes for the wheel studs is 5x4.5 for the stock Moabs or has holes for both 5x5.5 and 5x4.5

So as long as I get this retaining plate

Vs this non Rubicon retaining plate

I can get D44 30 Spline shafts for a 97-06 Jeep?

Registered
Yes the retaining plate is different for disc vs drum. If you shop around you may be able to find a vendor that will send you the shafts already setup with retainer plate, seal, bearing and bearing retainer pressed on.

Premium Member
TBD
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't the non-Rubicon have a Dana 30?
Non Rubicon's had a front D30, and a rear D35 but could be optioned with a rear D44.

Yes the retaining plate is different for disc vs drum.
I can get some shafts for a pretty major discount, but just needed to confirm everything but the retaining plate was the same. Just like everything else, a bunch of stuff is out of stock and, I don't want to order something already assembled, for it to arrive with the wrong retaining plate. Been there done that. That happened with my Superior Shafts back in 2004 which is why I remembered this.
You then have to cut off the bearing and the bearing retainer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts