Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems shifting into 2nd gear (manual tranny) until the tranny fluid warms up?

I want to take mine in to get looked at but I think with the MM lift and BL the dealer will just blame the mods. The shifter is not touching the boot because I have it completely removed. No clearance problems there.

I am tempted to just remove the MM and BL and put it back to stock to take it in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Take it in and have them look at the bolts that hold the shifter into the top of the tranny. I had the same problem you are describing on my old TJ and it turned out that every single bolt was loose.

·
Registered
478 Posts
triver525 said:
Take it in and have them look at the bolts that hold the shifter into the top of the tranny. I had the same problem you are describing on my old TJ and it turned out that every single bolt was loose.
:roll: Thats interesting, mine does the same thing when its cold. Usually it has to be about 0 celcius or colder. I'm gonna check that the bolts are tight. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Once the dealer tightened those bolts, it was a night and day difference between the way it shifted. It became crisp and firm rather than sloppy and grindy (is that a word?). I think mine was a little worse than what I hear described with you guys though. Third gear was also tough to shift into and I didn't even have a body lift or anything.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine is okay right now, ever once in awhile it grinds. Last winter it was a bitch, double clutching helped a little. Also when down shifting while coming to a stop sometimes it won't go into 1st gear, no grinding or anything. Its like 1st gear isn't there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the 2nd gear grind as well....I'm not looking forward to the winter as the problem is much worse the colder the temp gets. These loose bolts....are they accessed from underneath the Jeep or down from the top via the console?

·
Registered
478 Posts
If I understand correctly you take the front part of the center console off and the body seal/lower shifter boot and they are right there on top the transmission, should be four bolts. I think....

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have no idea. I would assume that you would just pull the centre console off, and then take the rubber boot from the shift off and you could access them from there. The FSM on page 21-32 says the same thing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did your shifter "feel" loose when the bolts were loose? My jeep shifts OK except for upshifting from 1-2 (going into 2nd).

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't really remember what it felt like. I just remember that when it was fixed it shifted sooooooo much better. Like how it feels when I drive my Rubi all day and then drive my GF's Civic. No offense to the Rubi but a truck tranny can't even begin to compare to the smoothness of the Honda 5-speeds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to check the bolts.

It shifts great in 4th,5th and reverse all the time.

3rd can sometimes be picky but rarely.

2nd is a pain all the time and it is actually just starting to grind downshifting about 1 in every 200 downshifts.

I have no problem getting into first gear at a stop.

Personally, I think it is a design problem. I have heard that the syncro doesn't work well because the oil is too thick and the synchro doesn't mesh, but once the gear oil gets hot it gets thinner and the synchro works much better. When it grinds I don't think it is the gears grinding, because it doesn't make a lot of noise, but is the synchro grinding. I also think they have tried to fix it by making the synchro have more friction material on it to help it work. I think I remember reading something about that. I am sure the grinding is chewing up the synchro.

The grinding really bothers me because I don't drive much on the highway at all and just driving around town does not heat up the tranny enough for it to shift into 2nd OK. If I drive it on the highway for 5 min. straight it makes a big difference.

I am going to have to take off the BL/MML to take it in or I might just drive it until it completely breaks and if it is under 70k miles then great, if not then I will just upgrade to the NV4500.

If it wasn't for this tranny 2nd gear shift problem, the rubi would be perfect.

I still wouldn't want the auto tranny though, my opinion is that they just won't last long especially after adding a bunch of wieght to the jeep. I have never had an auto go over 80k miles before needing a rebuild. Might just be my bad luck. I have a saturn wagon with over 100k miles and the manual tranny still shifts like butter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What about a fluid switch? I had changed from mineral based 80W90 to some Sythenic Redline and there was a real improvement in the shifting....I thought that the Rubicon had Sythenic in the Tranny???Not sure.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jumped in the jeep for the first time today and it shifted smooth in all gears. It is really wierd, one day it is fine, the next it isn't.

I am going to check the bolts on the shifter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. Just wondering if anybody found a solution or is this just the NV3500's behavior. Just not to sure how concerned to get. BTW the bolts on the top are fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have this problem with third gear, and my Rubi is basically stock. Had the dealer look at tit this week. He claimed that this is norma;l with the "new" transmission. Says DC changed to a different 5-spd in '03.

I am going to examine the bolts as mentioned in the earlier posts.

Dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, it's kinda new (same NV3500) just think they changed the syncro or the fluid to improve cold weather shifts. This was a problem for the Libertys. My dealer didn't find anything on it but there still checking. Well I still have plenty of warranty. :?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got the same problem here, and my bolts are tight too. You guys can get to the bolts with out removing the console if your good with a ratchet and an extension. Just get on your back and climb under the Jeep, nothing to it.

Later,
Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts