Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time Rubicon owner here. I just bought a new 2020 Unlimited. Curious when is the best time to use 4H vs 2H? It was raining on my drive in to work today and I switched to 4H. Tires seemed to lock up when I slowed down and tried to make a turn. Is this normal? Should I avoid using 4H in rainy conditions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I almost lost my mind when the wheels locked up as thought something was severely wrong. Seems like a rookie mistake as the more I read the more it sounds like you are absolutely correct. Is it best to avoid sharp turns when you are in 4H and in snow or mud?

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
4WD is not like AWD. There is no slip in the transfer case like there is in a vehicle with a center differential. You only want to be in 4WD when the wheels can slip on the surface. Its OK on dirt roads at higher speed and fine on snow and ice. But rain on asphalt will not provide enough slip and you'll get some hopping.

·
Registered
539 Posts
4WD is not like AWD. There is no slip in the transfer case like there is in a vehicle with a center differential. You only want to be in 4WD when the wheels can slip on the surface. Its OK on dirt roads at higher speed and fine on snow and ice. But rain on asphalt will not provide enough slip and you'll get some hopping.
^^^This^^^ It's also worth noting that it's not the end of the world if you do it. I have hopped on the pavement completely exhausted after a long day of hiking and got most of the way home before I noticed I was still in 4 hi. Cant tell you how many times I have done this now. I wouldn't advise it for regular use, but it's not likely to break anything with an occasional use/accidental use. Maybe stretch the chain a bit or possibly some premature u-joint wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts