Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Rubicon owner and poster here. Previously had a 2014 Sahara.

Purchased this 2018 JL model, manual transmission, 4 weeks ago from a Jeep dealership in Davenport, IA.
6200 miles on it at purchase.

Driving last night - 35 degrees out, taking a slow right turn, about 10-15 mph, and the power steering went out abruptly. Had there a car been stopped at the intersection, I would have crushed it. A mile later I turned the Jeep off, and back on - and power steering was restored.

I highly doubt I can recreate this for the service staff at the dealership. It's happened once in the last 1000 miles.

I've seen some threads on bulletins but no recall. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to with Jeep or the Jeep dealership near my home (which is not the dealer I purchased it from).

Anything else that I should be concerned about with the 2018 JL models in manual transmission?

Thank you and great to be here and looking forward to contribute moving forward!

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bo polite and describe your problem as best you can. Most dealerships want to help. If you don't get results then contact customer service, the 1-800 number is in your owners manual.

·
Administrator
10,839 Posts
Welcome to ROF! I hate intermittent problems, I think now you know why it was for sale at 6200 miles. Consider running one of those dash cams that can look forward and backwards so maybe you can prove the existence of the problem.

I've had problems with a product and explained the problem to a dealer (or manufacturer in one case) and the routine answer is "we've never heard of that before..." Yeah, right.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There is a recall for your steering damper. They loose alignment on hard turns and can cause a feeling like this?
There is also a tsb for the power steering low assist. The tsb is for highway speeds but I would mention it.
BTW, welcome and nice Jeep.

·
3,466 Posts
Does this JL have the new electric power steering pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the helpful replies.

Question: If I want to formally complain about the power steering issue how do I ensure my complaint gets attached to the VIN and doesn’t get lost? Through the dealership, or through Jeep, or other??

Jeff

·
Administrator
10,839 Posts
There should be an area service manager you can contact if it comes down to that. Maybe try another dealer? Mention the known issues from rlenglish's post to them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you contact Jeep customer service a file is created and it is documented.
With anything you have a concern with, keep all your repair orders and document who you talk to, when, and what the conversation was.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
It might be helpful to leave the Jeep as stock as possible until they rectify this problem, that way it can't be blamed on any modifications you do to it.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies everyone. I read them with great interest.

Again today, the power steering went out - same situation - making a slow right turn. Turn the Jeep off, then back on - and the power steering re-engaged just fine.

That’s 2 times in 4 days.

I’ve contacted the dealership and @JeepCares and both have replied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts