Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem: Too often when turning from one street to the next (going to the right or left) the engine abruptly dies and may stumble along and recover or may take me to the side of the road and then restarts and is fine. I do not remember this happening in a straight line even when I get on it to pass. I am really baffled. Perhaps the centrifugal force of the turn is causing something to happen. If I go real slow, it never happens. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't have any specific experience as it relates to your problem. But when I first read this, I immediately thought "Bad Clock Spring". Here's my reasoning:

The clock spring controls/allows electrical signals to be sent downstream (to horn, computer, TPS, etc) from the steering column. This is the only part which (at least to me) could be causing your issue as it's directly between the steering wheel and engine/computer/throttle body, etc. Using deductive reasoning, if your problem only occurs while you're turning your steering wheel (more than just a few degrees as when passing) to turn onto a street, a bad clock spring could be the issue.

If it was something in the computer, throttle, etc., I would think you'd experience the problems at all other times. But I've never dealt with the clock spring in newer vehicles. Might want to look up some videos or forum posts and see if this is something you can easily check and/or replace.

·
1,733 Posts
It's possible that your issue is a shifting problem caused by the PCM or some call it the ECM. Is it an automatic? If so, you may want to call WranglerFix and tell him of your symptoms. He specializes in the unique PCM/ECM issues that 05 and 06 TJs have. It's possible that when you slow down to turn that your transmission and computer are not playing nice. I had a friend that had all types of weird shifting and lock ups. He bought a new transmission and still had the issue. He had the transmission out three times at a shop trying to figure it out. I happened to visit him and told him to call WranglerFix. He described his issue to them and they were sure it was his computer. He bought a computer for $400 +, installed it and all his problems were fixed immediately. He had an 06TJ like you. The guy at WranglerFix is a good listener and honest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys I will look into these suggestions. I have also been told that it may be my fuel pump problem. Anyone heard about that??

·
Administrator
11,155 Posts
Thanks Guys I will look into these suggestions. I have also been told that it may be my fuel pump problem. Anyone heard about that??
I suppose anything is possible but fuel pump would be my last suspect. You can check the fuel rail pressure and make sure it's within spec. Replacing the pump isn't a huge deal but I wouldn't want to do it again :rolleyes:.

·
3,598 Posts
I think if the pickup on the fuel pump had a problem (loose, cracked, etc.) it could be related to a fuel pump.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You might also check into this:

Wiring on passenger side of engine headed towards the back. Although this problem was for an automatic transmission.

Come to find out that the plastic wire loom going from the PCM/TCM was deteriorated and the wires had rubbed on a sharp edge of the bell housing causing a short.

After talking to a good shop owner that I know, he did a search and said it is a fairly common issue on these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you I am going to be looking at this problem. When I purchased my 06 rubi a little over a year ago, it only had 52k miles on it and was towed behind a motorhome a lot and looks near new and has little wear but, that said, things can happen and I will look at this wiring harness.

·
3,598 Posts
You might also check into this:

Wiring on passenger side of engine headed towards the back. Although this problem was for an automatic transmission.

Come to find out that the plastic wire loom going from the PCM/TCM was deteriorated and the wires had rubbed on a sharp edge of the bell housing causing a short.

After talking to a good shop owner that I know, he did a search and said it is a fairly common issue on these.
I found some wires chaffing on my TJ very early in that spot (2004 model, found damage in 2008 or 2009). I remedied the situation by wrapping the wiring with additional electrical tape and wire loom.

Being towed behind a motorhome could cause wear as the road vibrations would contribute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts