Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the steering shaft support bearing on my 2005 Rubicon. After a couple of days of frustrating searches I've yet to come up with a clear answer on whether the bearing is replaceable by itself. Here's a picture of the part I'm looking for:

I think I've located the Mopar P/N (55315044AA) for the entire intermediate shaft, including the bearing, but they're all outrageously priced ($400+).
I've seen others say that the bearing from a ~2007 Liberty is a direct fit for the TJ bearing, but I can't find that bearing listed anywhere either.

Anyone have any more information on replacement options?

~John

·
1,871 Posts
Last I heard we had to buy everything to get the bearing. It looks as though you’ve verified that. I haven’t heard of any cross model fitment. It’ll be interesting to see what others have to say.

·
3,692 Posts
You might try one of the jeep-only junkyards. They could pull a good one for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm going to start by disassembling the current bearing and relubing to see if that fixes it. I'll post my results.

~John

·
1,871 Posts
Out of curiosity, what did you notice about it? I noticed mine was a bit ratty a few years ago, but I didn’t identify a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was trying to solve a clicking and squeaking sound in the steering column.

I went ahead and disassembled the bearing and as some others have reported, the needle bearings were bone dry and rusty. I cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. And while that didn't solve the clicking or squeak issue, I'm still glad I did it. In my opinion it's a poor design. A provision for lubrication should have been provided.

It looks like the clicking is the result of some minor slop in one of the slip joints in the upper shaft just before it passes thru the firewall. The sound is hard to narrow down because it seems to be transferred up and down the length of the shaft. The joint doesn't appear to be serviceable and the noise isn't that bad so I'll just live with it for now.

The squeak turned out to be the rubber boot that the steering shaft passes thru at the firewall. I lube that with silicone and it quieted down.

·
3,692 Posts
I was trying to solve a clicking and squeaking sound in the steering column.

The squeak turned out to be the rubber boot that the steering shaft passes thru at the firewall. I lube that with silicone and it quieted down.
I've had this one before. A little lube fixed it fast

·
3,692 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts